Starts to Feed Solid

HI all mummies,

I understands that practically shd starts solid when my ds is 6mths old. But he is now 3mths plus and drinking 7oz 2hourly and sometimes 1 hr he starts to feel hungry again. My fren's fren told me she actually add a little of cereal to her's dd milk every morning feed to her dd who is nw 2mth plus old. So can I add a little of cereal so my ds are more full to last longer for the next feed?

Domique

Had he been drinking so much all the while or only these few days? Could it be growth spruts?

HI all mummies,

I understands that practically shd starts solid when my ds is 6mths old. But he is now 3mths plus and drinking 7oz 2hourly and sometimes 1 hr he starts to feel hungry again. My fren's fren told me she actually add a little of cereal to her's dd milk every morning feed to her dd who is nw 2mth plus old. So can I add a little of cereal so my ds are more full to last longer for the next feed?

snowbear

HI all mummies,

You'd better check with the PD coz bb below 4months have weak digestive systems and may not be able to digest the cereal well.

autumn82

HI all mummies,

Wow.. Big eater~~ :) But I think it is too young to start on cereals @ 3mths. Prob can wait until 4mth+ just plain rice cereals. :)

stonston

different babies drink different quantities. if ur baby wants more milk for now, jus give :)
but dun start too early on cereal. baby may choke.

autumn82

yes autumn82, he always nt full and he somehow keep looking at me when i m eating my meals.
:tlaugh::tlaugh:It's ok, just let him look for awhile more.. Soon can start on cereals~~ Coz their systems not fully developed yet, best dun start too early even though they show signs of wanting to try.. :)

:tlaugh::tlaugh:It's ok, just let him look for awhile more.. Soon can start on cereals~~ Coz their systems not fully developed yet, best dun start too early even though they show signs of wanting to try.. :)
Ok thks 4 ur info.:) more ques to come..ist time always hv alot of doubts

annie

gals, can i check when did u all start to intro a balance diet which consist of a main meal eg porridge, cereal etc, a protein source eg fish, chicken n all, a veg and a fruit to your bb's diet?? i started introducing solid to my girl when she is 6mths old n have been feeding her with only 1 meal and 1 food everyday eg only cereal this week then only apples puree next week and only sweet potatoes another week. so in a sense her diet is not that balance... ive read that at first the reason y we intro solid is to get them to get use to eating food from a spoon, get them to try different taste n texture but then the main nutrition source is still from milk thus we dun need to care how much they eat per meal n all BUT when do we really NEED to get them on a balance diet??

snowbear

gals, can i check when did u all start to intro a balance diet which consist of a main meal eg porridge, cereal etc, a protein source eg fish, chicken n all, a veg and a fruit to your bb's diet?? i started introducing solid to my girl when she is 6mths old n have been feeding her with only 1 meal and 1 food everyday eg only cereal this week then only apples puree next week and only sweet potatoes another week. so in a sense her diet is not that balance... ive read that at first the reason y we intro solid is to get them to get use to eating food from a spoon, get them to try different taste n texture but then the main nutrition source is still from milk thus we dun need to care how much they eat per meal n all BUT when do we really NEED to get them on a balance diet??

For Alicia, once she's tried a variety of food i started making sure she has a balanced diet: some carbo, meat/egg and veg/fruit every day. So i guess after slowly introducing the different types of food to your daughter and when she's more comfortable eating more meals a day you can start.

Since your daughter just started on solids, give her some time to accept the idea first before worrying about giving her a balanced diet. :) As you said, milk is still very impt now.

annie

do u freeze her food or do u make fresh everytime? heard freezing destroys nutrition n cause wind?

snowbear

do u freeze her food or do u make fresh everytime? heard freezing destroys nutrition n cause wind?
I used to freeze her food when she was younger coz pureeing in larger amts was easier. Now i only need to chop/mash her food so i just prepare as and when i need to.

Freezing doesn't destroy nutrition and cause wind.
Got this from Freezing Homemade Baby Food | How to Freeze Homemade Baby Food Puree and Homemade Baby Food Storage from wholesomebabyfood.com

The fact is, cooking foods deplete more nutrients than does freezing foods. Contrary to myth, Freezing foods (fruits and vegetables in particular) does NOT deplete 100% of that food's vitamins and minerals. The process of freezing, if kept at a constant 0 degree temp does not contribute to a TOTAL loss of nutrients - if it did, then the majority of the population would be malnourished as we rely on and eat a large amount of frozen foods.

annie

i see. so that is myth.. hehe.

so... do u heat her food (after thawing in the fridge) everytime when she was younger?? including fruits n veg puree? cos so far i only heat my girl's cereal.. not fruits n veg( i usually serve it cold from fridge) but wondering if i should? how u usually heat? microwave?

Last edited:

snowbear

i see. so that is myth.. hehe.

so... do u heat her food everytime when she was younger?? including fruits n veg puree? cos so far i only heat my girl's cereal.. not fruits n veg but wondering if i should? how u usually heat? microwave?
i dun prepare fruit puree in advance. Only vegetable.

I usually take the baby cube 1 day in advance from the freezer into the fridge then just use the baby food warmer to heat up the baby cube.

Here's what the same website has to say about warming the food using microwave Heating and Thawing Homemade Baby Food Purees - How to Heat and Thaw Homemade Baby Food

Microwave Thawing and Heating of Homemade Baby Food

If you do not wish to use a microwave to thaw your baby food cubes, you may thaw your baby food cubes in the refrigerator over night (ensure that the cubes remain a closed container and not in an uncovered bowl) as mentioned.

If you are using a microwave to thaw or reheat baby food cubes, be sure to stir food to ensure no hot-pockets are left to burn baby! Always warm baby food cubes in a glass bowl and not in plastic containers as research indicates glass is safer.

Many parents do not like to use the microwave for a variety of reasons. It is up to you to decide if heating or thawing your baby food cubes in the microwave is right for you and your baby.

** We do not and will not make any statements concerning the use of the microwave. The research is simply too conflicting and much of it is not reputable.**

For cooking, we prefer to bake when possible (for optimal nutrient retention) and steam when possible! For thawing and heating, we use the fridge and pots and pans. We use the microwave for heating on ocassion but mostly just for reheating teas and coffees. This is just our personal choice.

You can use this website for reference for preparing baby food. It's really quite useful. :)

annie

yeah ive read the site many times hehe. i was just thinking cos they are ang mo n we chinese ma.. so wondering if any chinese really follow those ang mo sites since chinese have differnet beliefs :001_302:

snowbear

yeah ive read the site many times hehe. i was just thinking cos they are ang mo n we chinese ma.. so wondering if any chinese really follow those ang mo sites since chinese have differnet beliefs :001_302:
haha... i find this ang mo site is much better than many other sites that i've read.

annie

hehe i made porridge for my girl today but then somehow made it too watery lol. btw, do we have to make porridge till very pasty by grinding it in the food precessor after cook/ or smash it up with spoon or even if we can see rice also ok? my girl 7mths now...cant find this kind of info in ang mo site lol