Starts to Feed Solid

Domique

Alaric oni 10-25 percentile. PD said his weigh gain is slow. I ask abt feeding cereal she said ok. Then i said can put in bottle or not mix with milk she said better let him sit and i feed him using spoon so he learn something new. But the thing is i am all alone at home and it is difficult to hold Alaric in a sitting position while his back muscle still weak cannot sit up still.

What is your advise?

For cereal izzit but those frisocream one?

See my ticker below.

becoz beter 6 mths then feed but my baby oni 4 mths.

snowbear

Alaric oni 10-25 percentile. pediatrician said his weigh gain is slow. I ask about feeding cereal she said ok. Then i said can put in bottle or not mix with milk she said better let him sit and i feed him using spoon so he learn something new. But the thing is i am all alone at home and it is difficult to hold Alaric in a sitting position while his back muscle still weak cannot sit up still.

What is your advise?

For cereal izzit but those frisocream one?
the prob with feeding cereal in a bottle is that it may choke the baby and the baby needs to learn that cereal should be eaten via spoon and not bottle. U may wanna consider putting alaric in bumbo to feed. Prop him up with pillows i think shld be ok. My frens put their babies in bumbo since 3 months old and prop with pillow when nec.

Dun need to get frisocream. There are other cereals that can be eaten from 4months. The si shen brown rice powder if i'm not wrong can be eaten by 4 month old. My sil and my neighbour fed their daughters with it at 4 months and i think the box also indicates that it's ok for 4-month-olds. Eu yan sang also sells brown rice powder but i'm not sure if that can be consumed by 4-month-olds.

annie

yes use bumbo. my girl sits on her bumbo well without pillows when she was 2mths old.. cos the bumbo not big.. she sit inside just nice. no need pillows.

Domique

Tried feeding Alaric some cereal earlier. He like cannot swallow. spit them out. but he seems happy doing it and experimenting the food.

Is it like this for first time?

Should I carry on tomorrow or he is just not ready yet?

the prob with feeding cereal in a bottle is that it may choke the baby and the baby needs to learn that cereal should be eaten via spoon and not bottle. you may wanna consider putting alaric in bumbo to feed. Prop him up with pillows i think shld be ok. My friends put their babies in bumbo since 3 months old and prop with pillow when nec.

dont need to get frisocream. There are other cereals that can be eaten from 4months. The si shen brown rice powder if i'm not wrong can be eaten by 4 month old. My sister In law and my neighbour fed their daughters with it at 4 months and i think the box also indicates that it's ok for 4-month-olds. Eu yan sang also sells brown rice powder but i'm not sure if that can be consumed by 4-month-olds.

autumn82

Tried feeding Alaric some cereal earlier. He like cannot swallow. spit them out. but he seems happy doing it and experimenting the food.

I think u shld carry on for a few more days, coz he's still not used to it. Let him try out for a few more days. Yes, it is usually like this for the 1st few times, slowly take ur time.. Need patience to feed babies... :tlaugh:

Domique

Thanks for the assurance autumn.

Will try again and update u all soon. Wish me luck!

I think you shld carry on for a few more days, coz he's still not used to it. Let him try out for a few more days. Yes, it is usually like this for the 1st few times, slowly take your time.. Need patience to feed babies... :tlaugh:

annie

yea my girl also spit out(more to blowing bubbles with the food) at first or when she is not interested even sometimes now. some babies not used to taking solid. need more time. my girl 1st mth of taking solid dun really open her mouth... very difficult to feed her. now she opens her mouth big big for food! lol

snowbear

yeah, it's like that. he's trying out the new food and learning how to swallow food for the first time... :)

annie

girls, how should out babies feeding schedule be like? should we be giving porridge(carbo) for all 3 meals or just 1 meal? cos i see books and online... their samples of a feeding schedule is something like below:

Feeding schedule and sample meal plan for 6-7 months baby

Breakfast: 4-6 tablespoons baby cereal, 6-8 oz breast milk feeding or formula
Mid-morning: 2-4 oz breast milk feeding or formula
Lunch: 2-4 tablespoons cooked strained vegetables (carrots, squash, green beans), 6-8 oz breast milk feeding or formula
Mid-afternoon: 4-6 oz breast milk feeding or formula
Evening snack: 2-4 tablespoons cooked fruits (applesauce, pears or bananas)
Dinner: 2-4 tablespoons cooked strained vegetables or rice cereal, 6-8 oz breast milk feeding or formula

so means one meal carbo (cereal/porridge), one meal veg, one meal fruits then dinner carbo again? so far ive been feeding my girl cereal+fruits sometimes in the morning then lunch porridge+veg+fruits sometimes...am i giving her too much carbo in this case? and too little veg and fruits? cos i always mix with her cereal and porridge.. not in a single meal like the sample above..

btw, how much is 1 tablespoon? 1 ice cube?

Last edited:

snowbear

girls, how should out babies feeding schedule be like? should we be giving porridge(carbo) for all 3 meals or just 1 meal? cos i see books and online... their samples of a feeding schedule is something like below:

Feeding schedule and sample meal plan for 6-7 months baby

Breakfast: 4-6 tablespoons baby cereal, 6-8 oz breast milk feeding or formula
Mid-morning: 2-4 oz breast milk feeding or formula
Lunch: 2-4 tablespoons cooked strained vegetables (carrots, squash, green beans), 6-8 oz breast milk feeding or formula
Mid-afternoon: 4-6 oz breast milk feeding or formula
Evening snack: 2-4 tablespoons cooked fruits (applesauce, pears or bananas)
Dinner: 2-4 tablespoons cooked strained vegetables or rice cereal, 6-8 oz breast milk feeding or formula

so means one meal carbo (cereal/porridge), one meal veg, one meal fruits then dinner carbo again? so far ive been feeding my girl cereal+fruits sometimes in the morning then lunch porridge+veg+fruits sometimes...am i giving her too much carbo in this case? and too little veg and fruits? cos i always mix with her cereal and porridge.. not in a single meal like the sample above..

btw, how much is 1 tablespoon? 1 ice cube?
It's not like u're giving only carbo and nothing else. If you're giving food from diff food groups for each meal i think it's good!

1 tablespoon according to my measuring spoon is about 10ml and 1 ice-cube shld be about 20-30ml (depending on how full u fill up the tray)

annie

i seee.... so 1 ice cube is about 2-3 tablespoon yea? great great... then i know how many tablespoon my girl is taking hehe.

oh ok.. cos from books n online, it seems that they are giving only 1 time carbo and 1 time fruits+veg for bb taking 2 meals a day... so i thought perhaps im giving too much carbo n too little veg n fruits...

snowbear

i seee.... so 1 ice cube is about 2-3 tablespoon yea? great great... then i know how many tablespoon my girl is taking hehe.

oh ok.. cos from books and online, it seems that they are giving only 1 time carbo and 1 time fruits+veg for baby taking 2 meals a day... so i thought perhaps im giving too much carbo and too little veg and fruits...
alicia's eating 2 main meals a day: 1 at about noon (pancake/porridge/macaroni with 1-2 types of veg, chicken/pork and fruit sometimes) and the other at about 6-7pm (same as above, vary accordingly). She eats 1 egg yolk and 4 tsp of cod per day as snack. Then she has fruit at nite when we're having fruits (sometimes only 1 type of fruit, sometimes a variety, depending on what's available in my fridge :001_302:).

annie

ooh.. seems like alicia is eating alot! lol. these few days i increased my girl's feeding to 2 meals a day n i feel she seems to be always eating! lol. she will take the first meal of the day at around 9am(cereal/ porridge+1 veg n sometimes with fruits), then another meal around 2pm (usually porridge+2 types of veg)...

so its something like:

8am wake up-milk
9am breakfast
11am nap-milk
1pm wake-milk
2pm lunch
4pm nap-milk
6pm wake-milk
8.30pm milk
9pm sleep-milk

she seems to be eating n drinking round the clock isnt she? lol

snowbear

ooh.. seems like alicia is eating alot! lol. these few days i increased my girl's feeding to 2 meals a day and i feel she seems to be always eating! lol. she will take the first meal of the day at around 9am(cereal/ porridge+1 veg and sometimes with fruits), then another meal around 2pm (usually porridge+2 types of veg)...

so its something like:

8am wake up-milk
9am breakfast
11am nap-milk
1pm wake-milk
2pm lunch
4pm nap-milk
6pm wake-milk
8.30pm milk
9pm sleep-milk

she seems to be eating and drinking round the clock isnt she? lol
haha.. The amt she eats isn't that much each time though... as i mentioned somewhere earlier, the amt she eats fluctuates A LOT!

yup.. i also feel that all i'm doing the whole day is preparing food or feeding her!!! :)

btw, i made a mistake. The tablespoon amt is 15ml according to my measuring spoon. Sorry about it..

annie

i see.. ok noted hehe. thanks for the info!

im wondering if my girl hates pumpkin... these 2 days i give it to her n she jsut cry... hmm...

snowbear

i see.. ok noted hehe. thanks for the info!

im wondering if my girl hates pumpkin... these 2 days i give it to her and she jsut cry... hmm...
sometimes when u intro a new food they may take some time to like it. Dun give up. Keep offering it every now and then.

annie

so far this is the only food she will start crying lol. the others she will eat very little at first then gradually she will eat more but no crying. i shall try giving her again tmr n see how. if she still cries then maybe i shall skip it n intro again after sometime...

snowbear

so far this is the only food she will start crying lol. the others she will eat very little at first then gradually she will eat more but no crying. i shall try giving her again tomorrow and see how. if she still cries then maybe i shall skip it and intro again after sometime...
yup... try again maybe a week or fortnite later..

annie

snowbear, ive bought the soft type of bib with the sleeve for my girl n tried it out today but... total failure.. cos its soft, she spent all her time playing with the bib! pulling it into her mouth n biting it.. end up when i try to feed her food she cry! faint...