What fish can be eaten daily or often for toddlers?

annie

I heard that we cannot give tuna often due to the high level of mercury.my girl loves tuna but due to this, i cant give her often.. she dosent really like salmon though... any other fish that dosent really stinks that we can give our toddler often? so far ive only been giving her chicken, beef, pork.. seldom give her fish as i dunno wat fish i can give her often which dosent stinks...

camom

I get threadfin, snapper or garouper fillets, depending on what is fresh & I can get from the fishmonger.

meiteoh

Annie, if you don't mind, you can consider canned fished as canning regulations make it such that the levels of mercury in fish is actually monitored. Of course fresh is better - what about opting for fresh water fish? Sea fish would more likely to stink coz of the salt content in the flesh.

diymummy

I usually give threadfin.

Sometimes I will give cod but my boy doesn't really like cod plus he is allergic to it coz too oily already.

I think my infant care centre gives dory fish as well.

annie

Annie, if you dont't mind, you can consider canned fished as canning regulations make it such that the levels of mercury in fish is actually monitored. Of course fresh is better - what about opting for fresh water fish? Sea fish would more likely to stink coz of the salt content in the flesh.
i dunno if she likes the canned tuna or not though. i always buy fresh.. btw, what are the fresh water fish tat can be taken daily/

annie

I get threadfin, snapper or garouper fillets, depending on what is fresh & I can get from the fishmonger.
all these can be taken daily? are they stinky? the problem is im living in japan and not too sure what these fishes names are in japanese.. i better check them out..

thepinkdot

all these can be taken daily? are they stinky? the problem is im living in japan and not too sure what these fishes names are in japanese.. i better check them out..
try cream snapper.. they're the least stinky (in my opinion) and taste pretty good even when bought frozen.

camom

When are we allowed to feed babies those dried silver fish?
I don't really give the dried version bcos they are usually cured with salt. I buy the frsh version from the wet market.

For the dried version, my friend's mom will wash and roast, then grind into powder for sprinkling on bb's porridge after bb's 8 mths old. But must make sure it's fully dried after roasting cos it can turn mouldy.

camom

Actually if the fish is fresh, they shouldn't smell stinky. What you get is the seawater smell.

My kids actually like the Japanese seabream as well but it's full of fine bones and I spend too much time picking out the bones. Maybe you can check with the fishmonger in Japan if they have any good recommendations for you?

diymummy

I dont't really give the dried version bcos they are usually cured with salt. I buy the frsh version from the wet market.

For the dried version, my friend's mom will wash and roast, then grind into powder for sprinkling on baby's porridge after baby's 8 mths old. But must make sure it's fully dried after roasting cos it can turn mouldy.
Hi camom mummy,

I went to the wet market that day and saw like 2 versions of silver fish?

There's one that is much bigger and one that is smaller. Which one do you use?

Any idea for roughly how long your mum roasts the fish for to dry them?

camom

Hi camom mummy,

I went to the wet market that day and saw like 2 versions of silver fish?

There's one that is much bigger and one that is smaller. Which one do you use?

Any idea for roughly how long your mum roasts the fish for to dry them?
I always buy the smaller greyish type cos more flavourful. I asked the fishmonger before, he says this greyish one comes from the waters in Malaysia. The big white ones come from China/Taiwan. It depends on how your bb likes it. Some people find the greyish type fishier. I followed the aunties, they always buy the small greyish ones to cook with spinach.

Not my mom, my friend's mom. :001_302: But I ever tried once. I find it very tedious cos gotta rinse till clean, take off the heads and innards before drying with paper towels, dry roast them using a wok w/o oil then grind and keep in airtight bottle. I think the time is approx 5-10 min, depending on the qty you have and how hot the pan is. My way of gauging is when they start "jumping" in the pan.

candy_ian

I used to make the silver fish powder for my son when he was younger I buy he small silver fish wash soaxk remove heads n pan fry till dry then grin into powder

diymummy

Sorry guys, I digressed from the thread... :p

Annie asking what fish can feed everyday to her daughter... Kekekeke...

Actually, Annie, I know some mums here steam the fish with ginger to remove the fishy smell?

camom

Hi Annie,

You want to try other methods of cooking the fish? I sometimes bake my fish fillets. My kids love it! I use the Jap mayo as my base & add other veg like potato, carrots, tomatoes or pumpkins.

Phoebii Cheng

You can give her cod fish it is good for bbs too...I oftern give cod fish to my son, cos' I work in restaurant and sometimes salmon or threadfin

If go market, I try to buy fish with less bones, cos' it is not easy to pluck out the bones....