when to know your child is left handed or right handed?

liangmum

hi
all mummies when u discover your child is right handed or left handed. Is it necessary to guide them to use right hand?

Jmumi

ya .. when will we know ? both husband & i are left handed.. If my boy is right handed, damn jiat lak ..:err:

Ting

hmmm, they would be showing signs when they can hold things.
but only when they start writing n drawing then u can tell, but prob abt 4-5 years old?
for pin, i believe she is more left handed, cos most things she do like holding her fork n spoon, n writing she uses her left hand, but at times, she will change to her right.
so im still confused. but am lookin to the side where she will be left handed.

anyway, i feel tt no need to guide them to use right handed, shldnt be much of an issue whether they r left or right handed right?

My hubby and I are both right handed. But from my parents understanding, I was born left handed but was trained to use the right hand, I noticed and asked my mum when I realize only my left hand is stronger to hold and open stuff. But I can write and hold chopsticks with both hands.

#1 DD left handed. #2 DD right handed. #3 DD yet to determine, bcoz she can put both hands (her drumstick, LOL) into the mouth together, so dunno yet...

But for #1 DD, I realize she was left handed only when she was bout 6 months old bcoz she kept using left hand to hold stuff. As for #2 DD, I realize she like to use her right hand to put the teether into her mouth when she was bout 4 to 5 months old.

;)

Jmumi

hope my boy is left handed so we have no problem in using left hands to teach him. :tlaugh:eek:ur rights are useless...lol :001_302:

stonston

My boy is obviously left-handed but my mum & maid have been training him to use his right hand. I hope he'll be able to use both hands to do work :)

liangmum

my son also used his left hand most of time to either eat or scribble. But i notice tat the way he hold the spoon or pen very clumsy and can't really control his movement. So i wonder is it tat i need to teach him to use his right hand instead since he can't use his left properly.

Jmumi

If your boy really right handed then you gotta try to teach him... No choice
i guess no choice lor. worried if the writing can make it anot? it's kinda messy leh..dun no if he can figure it out anot...

anyway i still got a long way to go, he's only 7mths...

Guess left-handedness runs in my family.

My older sis was left-handed for writing coz she was being corrected by my mum. Hence she writes with her right now but all others using her left.

As for myself, I am left-handed. Felt miserable when my mum tried to get me to use my right instead of left to write.. 'fought' against that. I'm pretty ambidextrous now.

As for my younger girl, she is left-handed too.

Can't quite judge them at such young age like 7 months coz' they are just trying things out.

From experience, when they start to learn how to doodle with crayons. About 10 months onwards. Girls tend to be faster than boys. The hand that they consistently use would be their preferred hand to use for colouring, writing and perhaps for anything else.

Based on using their spoon/fork to identify may be less obvious initially, as kids tend to use both hands to grab their food. They are messy if you know what I mean.

Does it matter being a left- or right- handed??

As I am left-handed, most tools are catered for right-handers, unless you get to places like the you.S... whereby they have tools specially cater fo left-handers.

Otherwise, we left-handers just have to adapt. LIke using the regular scissors, we can't quite cut as straight as compared to the right-handers as it is not catered for us. Another is a can opener.

As left-handed golf clubs are rare, as in few models, no choice, I have to switch to play as a right hander so to enjoy choices to pick from.

Uhm...maybe afterall, being right handed as part of the majority might have some PLUS points.

Cheers.:tlaugh:

Last edited:

snowbear

My dd used to use her left hand a lot more compared to the right when she was a few months old but now that she's older, she's using her right hand to hold the pen to doodle but still prefers to hold her finger food with her left rather than right. I do hope she's right-handed though.. but we have no control over such things... :D

DodoTan

I think you should just let kids develop on their own; left or right handed. If you want to improve their fine motor skills (writing etc) encourage them to play with plasticine or play-doh as much as possible.

DodoTan

My toddler

..As their second birthday draws closer, it'll be much clearer whether they are right or left-handed – they’ll prefer using their dominant side to scribble, kick a ball and feed themselves. ...

DodoTan

actually left-handed is ok. some people say that lefties are more creative. My sister is left-handed. She uses that hand to write and hold chopsticks. But play badminton and hold knife she use right hand. Don't know why. Myself, I am right-handed, but left-master eye. Goodness know why...

dewdew

My hubby is left-handed and I'm right-handed. Think our son (16months) is probably right-handed as he can hold a pen quite nicely using his right hand when he doodles. I wonder, how do you teach your child to write if he/she holds a pen on a different hand as you?

Phoebii Cheng

My hubby is left-handed and I'm right-handed. Think our son (16months) is probably right-handed as he can hold a pen quite nicely using his right hand when he doodles. I wonder, how do you teach your child to write if he/she holds a pen on a different hand as you?
By imitation? I don't know too cos' now my son oso still uses both hands at times, so I am still confused as to whether is he left handed or right handed?

dewdew

By imitation?
I think it will be real tough for me to use my left hand to teach my son how to write. If my son turns out to be left-handed, then I think I'll leave this job to my hubby. Actually I'm also thinking if it is good to teach him using both hands. Will it be too confusing for him? Will his handwriting turn out be very ugly since he has to practise writing using both?