Whether to try natural or go straight for C-sect?...

chiro san

I'm facing the same dilemma too..

My gynae also proposed i just do a csect because i'm pretty petite in size (height 142, weigh before preg 37.7kg). She scared that the baby might be too big to be delivered in normal delivery.

But i so wanted to try on normal delivery. I'll be delivering at Thomson too. As far as i know they will charge double (normal and csect) if you wanna try normal but ended up emergency csect. However, we calculated the price diff is like more exp few hundreds bucks (not until 1k) if i not mistaken.

Now the thing is, i'm on my 24wks now and my bump looks like kinda small thus giving me more confidence to have it done normal. During my last visit (20 wks) to the gynae, the baby's weight seemed normal (325gr). I'll be going for my next visit to the gynae soon, and i plan to tell her that i'm pretty confirm on trying out normal delivery.

both me and hubby plan that if on around 38weeks, she keep suggesting csect instead, i will go and see other gynae to have second opinion.

Btw, is it bad to deliver normal with vacuum? I thought if the baby is big, even if u do it csect, the doc also will use vacuum to suck it??
For vacuum delivery, the episiotomy will be longer, and your baby's head will have a bump depending on where the dr placed the vacumn during delivery. From assisted delivery to c sect, is traumatizing for the mother, and the risk of losing too much blood.

rEpuLsiOn

After seeing what you mummies wrote here I am confirm going for c-sect.. Because gynae already confirm that baby will be more than 3.5kg.. So will not take any risks.. Will be seeing baby in the ultrasound tomorrow.. Can't wait.. Hehes.. Will still check with gynae whether there will be double charges if end up with c-sect and update u guys tomorrow..

chiro san

After seeing what you mummies wrote here I am confirm going for c-sect.. Because gynae already confirm that baby will be more than 3.5kg.. So will not take any risks.. Will be seeing baby in the ultrasound tomorrow.. Can't wait.. Hehes.. Will still check with gynae whether there will be double charges if end up with c-sect and update u guys tomorrow..
Great to hear, just wait for the big day, don't plan yr c sect date near due. I had mine at 38 weeks, and that fateful day I went into labour. Haha.

Great to hear, just wait for the big day, don't plan yr c sect date near due. I had mine at 38 weeks, and that fateful day I went into labour. Haha.

U mean just nice on the day you scheduled your c sect that your baby wanna come out too?? hahhaha.. so meant to be.. ^^

Dragontail

My ideology is natural birth with no epidural. My gf whom has a daughter told me "don't be a hero. Just go for c-sect". Ha!

I'm still in my first trime so I just heed doctor's advice when the time comes. Hopefully I can sucessfully go for natural so that I will heal faster.

Alisa

My baby was too big for my size (he is long) so I think his feet was actually pushing against my chest bone. It's quite uncomfortable for a few days already. So when he was pushed out, I can actually feel the relieve from my chest bone. =) Anyway, my gynae also says that thankfully my baby is over 3kg at 37 weeks and also that I'm in labour at 37 weeks coz there is no room for him to grow in me. =p Somehow from the start my gynae is very determine that my boy must be over 3kg before he is born. I find it weird coz my sister's and my friends kids were born at 2.5kg at around 39 to 40 weeks. Well, it all depends on the gynae as long as the baby is healthy. =)
probably to gynae, above 3kg is consider healthy weight cuz below 3kg babies are pretty small. yr friend's kid must be very small bone! only 2.5kg at week 39-40! my gynae kept tell me my baby too big, too much amino fluid... im actually very stress when ever during my mthly visit... but he is a good doc. ya so, my baby was 3.27kg at birth.

i am afraid that i will go into labour before my set c-sec date too so we book the date on 1st day after my 37 weeks. hee...

chiro san

As long as your baby size is ok, there shouldn't be a problem. Mine was 2.4kg at 37week scanning, baby came out 2.4kg at 38week. Haha.

Last edited:

Ekari

I kinda went for the natural one as im afraid c sect might leave a mark? despite the gynae recommending me on c sect.

rEpuLsiOn

I have checked with the my gynae.. If i would like to try natural and then ended up with a c-sect, the hospital will charges for both the labour ward and the operating room. But for my gynae fee, he will only charge for c-sect.. Anyway for me I have already decided to go for c-sect.. Schedule to be on the 28 June at 38weeks plus 4 days.. Looking forward to it.. Hehes..

Hi,

My personal experience trying natural birth but end up emergency c-sect, a litte scary as i wasn't prepared for c-sect although my gynae did warn me cos he thought my baby was a littl big at 3.685kg at birth.

My wound healed very well, in fact, i showered after my c-sect beofre my relatives came or not cannot shower during confinement like so dirty like that. It was manageble.

By the second day, i was walking around my ward when my visitors came so i think it really boils down to the individual.

My wound was completely healed when i did a follow up with my gynae 1 week after and i could do some household chores including hanging out the clothes to dry, just have to be careful and you will be fine.

Btw, my gynae only charged me for the c-sect and not both and my delivery in Mount Alvernia, single bedded,4 days stay (But the first day after delivery, no single bedded so they put me in a two bedded till around 1 pm but they charged for two bedded for that day) worked out to around $2500 cashand the rest medisave. This was in 2009 la.

Eliza

I have checked with the my gynae.. If i would like to try natural and then ended up with a c-sect, the hospital will charges for both the labour ward and the operating room. But for my gynae fee, he will only charge for c-sect.. Anyway for me I have already decided to go for c-sect.. Schedule to be on the 28 June at 38weeks plus 4 days.. Looking forward to it.. Hehes..
Wow congratulations! 13 more days to go.. do start packing up your lugagge bag already and remember to bring the medical letter from you gynae to the hospital plus any receipts that you can claim from your medisave. God bless.

rEpuLsiOn

Eliza: thanks. 13 more days to go before the arrival of the little new member.. Luggage bag already packed.. All the stuffs are ready.. Just waiting.. Backache and not able to slp at night is draining me.. But guess everything is worth it when I see the little one.. Hehes..

Eliza

Eliza: thanks. 13 more days to go before the arrival of the little new member.. Luggage bag already packed.. All the stuffs are ready.. Just waiting.. Backache and not able to sleep at night is draining me.. But guess everything is worth it when I see the little one.. Hehes..
On that day, shower before you go to the hospital. After c-sect, for at least a week please don't shower (of course if you can tolerate for a whole month would be better). Can shower with the herb water after that about thrice a week but to wash hair, I would put it as twice a week max. And if you are afraid of the herb water stain, you can have a quick rinse with warm water after that. The rest of the days just wipe down would be fine. This was advised my by my own gynae and his wife. I wouldn't discount that coz his wife went on to have another two kids after the first she is very healthy. =)
Backache is parts and parcel. I always slept on my side during my last trimester and if I were to turn and lie flat on my back accidentally, I felt like I'm choking.. ha..ha.. =D But if you are sitting down and wanted to get up but with a very sore backache and couldn't, suggest you call your gynae immediately coz that might be the sign that you are in labour and of course contraction every 5mins is another sign you are in labour and you will be able to tell if you are having a contraction. Just in case your baby decided to come out before your c-sect. That's what happened to one of my relative. Elected for c-sect but baby has a mind of it's own. =)
PM me if you need someone to talk to after your delivery and don't stress out during confinement. Very easy to get post-natal depression. God Bless. =)
Cheers!

lsy

I'm 150cm bout 48kg pre preg. Gynae told me control baby size if I want a smooth natural given my size. But baby weight how to control? My baby was 3.3kg at birth delivered natural without epi. Gynae was impressed.
IMO c-sect should not be a choice at a start. Only when no choice go for c-sect for the safety of both mum n baby. Only after giving birth naturally that I read about the good bacteria that will be pass to baby from mother during birthing process. This is a good start for ur LO. Follow by breastfeeding the very 1st hour in the ward. Ability to cuddle your baby and give them the warmth and security.

I'm 150cm bout 48kg pre preg. Gynae told me control baby size if I want a smooth natural given my size. But baby weight how to control? My baby was 3.3kg at birth delivered natural without epi. Gynae was impressed.
IMO c-sect should not be a choice at a start. Only when no choice go for c-sect for the safety of both mum n baby. Only after giving birth naturally that I read about the good bacteria that will be pass to baby from mother during birthing process. This is a good start for ur LO. Follow by breastfeeding the very 1st hour in the ward. Ability to cuddle your baby and give them the warmth and security.

Woww.. i'm impressed too. I think ur size not as much difference with mine. I'm 142cm and 37kg pre preg. My gynae suggesting c sect for me because she scared if the baby is too big for my size, but i told her that i still wanna try for normal delivery. But reading what you wrote kinda make me even more convinced to do it normally.

Do u mind sharing ur labor experience? Like, how long did it take it to deliver etc etc?

lsy

My birth story :
Contraction bout 20 mins once with some mild cramp in between the 20 mins.
6.30am Arrived at Thomson Medical Center stayed at observation ward monitored for 15 mins confirm contraction n 1.5 cm dilated.
Using deep breathing n think of colour balloon inflate n fly up the sky.
9am gynae break water bag when dilation is at 3cm
1030am ask for gas as i couldnt focus much on the balloon anymore
12pm a pinoy nurse told me is 3 cm still.. Damn how could it be. She say I m tense that's y. Try to tell me thigh jab only 40% pain reduction vs gas 30% reduction. Say I will eventually take epi also ask me consider and dont waste money on thigh jab.
I heck care with her and went for thigh jab. N funny thing nurse ask me to continue breath gas dont remove.Previously i did remove coz my sis tell me not to overdose the gas will make us feel giddy. Anyway since nurse say dont remove i just breath only lol. Feel much better when I'm drowsy. Not sure is it thigh jab kicks in or gas effect now. Managed to relax n the next moment I knew is already 2:30pm or is it 3pm n I'm already 7 cm.My gynae is standing right with me i didnt even know she came.
Gynae ask nurse to prepare labour ward, while preparing n wait I'm 8cm.
Pushed to labour ward after pushes 10 cm but baby not low enough. That's the killing part...from pushing to lower baby till come out I'm screaming like mad at each contraction.
Gynae came over from elsewhere so last 30 mins they let me push 50% energy.
Gynae arrive just in time wash her hand and put on glove and by the time she sit down in front of me baby is out in just 1 more cOntraction push.

In the midst of pushing before gynae arrive i almost give up telling the midwive to get gynae vacuum her out once gynae arrive. The midwive can see the baby hair already and just ignore me hahaa telling me cooly no need vacuum this one. Keep telling me im doing fine and doing very well.

I hope by sharing this more mummies will view c-sect as a last option and not an early choice (unless there is known complications). Read more about natural birth and with determination, trust yourself on God's gift to a women.

Woww.. i'm impressed too. I think ur size not as much difference with mine. I'm 142cm and 37kg pre preg. My gynae suggesting c sect for me because she scared if the baby is too big for my size, but i told her that i still wanna try for normal delivery. But reading what you wrote kinda make me even more convinced to do it normally.

Do u mind sharing ur labor experience? Like, how long did it take it to deliver etc etc?

Last edited:

CutieLya

I'm facing the same dilemma too..

My gynae also proposed i just do a csect because i'm pretty petite in size (height 142, weigh before preg 37.7kg). She scared that the baby might be too big to be delivered in normal delivery.

But i so wanted to try on normal delivery. I'll be delivering at Thomson too. As far as i know they will charge double (normal and csect) if you wanna try normal but ended up emergency csect. However, we calculated the price diff is like more exp few hundreds bucks (not until 1k) if i not mistaken.

Now the thing is, i'm on my 24wks now and my bump looks like kinda small thus giving me more confidence to have it done normal. During my last visit (20 wks) to the gynae, the baby's weight seemed normal (325gr). I'll be going for my next visit to the gynae soon, and i plan to tell her that i'm pretty confirm on trying out normal delivery.

both me and hubby plan that if on around 38weeks, she keep suggesting csect instead, i will go and see other gynae to have second opinion.

Btw, is it bad to deliver normal with vacuum? I thought if the baby is big, even if u do it csect, the doc also will use vacuum to suck it??
Hi there. I am petite as well. I am 1.5m n weight at 39kg before got pregnant. I gain 20kg during my pregnancy. My baby girl born at 3.28kg. And its natural birth. The pain lasted for only 1 half hr. It was very easy to give birth to her. Well my advise drink more juices n try to walk alot. It helps.

felicity

cutielya, what juices r good? thanks!

my mum was around 1.46m, 46kg before pregnant, max 56kg when having me, and gave birth to me natural birth, i was over 4kg when born >< i totally totally salute my mum!! now i scared my own baby also giant bb like me >< although now i'm way bigger size than my mum was... 29 weeks and already 70kg now...