Which brand of FM is ur baby drinking?

celine

Y did u want ur gal to take goat's milk power??
i dun give...
bt my sil give to her galz bcoz of eczema...

aby

Both Enfalac till 1yo.. Only fully bf Ace one month whilr partial bf Aylthea till 6mo (milk dries up).. Switched both to Dugro/Nespray etc thereafter..

Actually now they ok with any brand, any stage type of milk (kind mommies blessed us with satchets n tins).. I give them infant formula too but they complained bland thus mixed 1 scoop infant and 2 scoop Dugro/Nespray..

Alythea just started Pedaisure as she's light, only 12.8kg and 3yo le..

Last edited:

stonston

hi,

May i know has anyone try Goat's powdered milk (Karihome)? Currently i am still bf my gal and she is coming to 9 mths now...so i am thinking of letting her to try out formulas..

Thanks
goat's milk is v costly...but if ur bb has skin problems, then best to give goat's milk or soy based milk lor....

I give my bb friso.

I prefer enfalac which has higher DHA but my bb's stomach can't accept it leh. Maybe it could be due to enfalac's containing coconut oil lor. Dunno why everytime bb drinks enfalac, he will get bloated stomach and ingestion easily. :frown:
if i not wrong, enfalac has palm oil...it is e palm oil tt is e culprit...
normal adult human cannot properly digest palm oil liaoz, much less bbs...

chupa

Y did u want ur gal to take goat's milk power??
i dun give...
bt my sil give to her galz bcoz of eczema...
The reason is becos goat's milk is much more digestable than normal formulas and the nutrition value is similar to breast milk...so that's is y i am considering goat's milk...

Leanne

I heard do not give goat milk or soy based milk unless it's really necessary.

My cousin who BF her 2 sons, ended up cnt continue BF cus they're are allergy to it. Now can only drink soy based milk..

stonston

The reason is becos goat's milk is much more digestable than normal formulas and the nutrition value is similar to breast milk...so that's is y i am considering goat's milk...
honestly, no milk can compare with breastmilk....recently i read an article by a PD in NUH, he mentioned tt milk for infants are constantly being improved bcos of new discoveries in breastmilk....

which means they put in wot they noe breastmlk has...but they have yet to discover alot of goodies tt breastmilk has....

chupa

honestly, no milk can compare with breastmilk....recently i read an article by a PD in NUH, he mentioned tt milk for infants are constantly being improved bcos of new discoveries in breastmilk....

which means they put in wot they noe breastmlk has...but they have yet to discover alot of goodies tt breastmilk has....
I know that bm is still the best so i intend to bf her till she is one, meanwhile i am trying to find out whats best for her when she reached one...

lisa_ng

i read somewhere on the internet saying bm has not enuf iron & something else so got to give supplement when baby pass 6mos. is it true? what supplements are they refering to? :)

stonston

i read somewhere on the internet saying bm has not enuf iron & something else so got to give supplement when baby pass 6mos. is it true? what supplements are they refering to? :)
yes, bb stores in liver can onli last up to 6mths....so after 6mths bb need iron fm food...

tt's y we introduce solids at 6mths :) n it must start replacing milk cos bb's nutritional needs r starting to change....milk is poor source of iron, even if it has 'added' iron in it....cos iron cannot be absorbed when calcium is present n milk has alot of calcium....

supplements refer to food other than milk for bbs :)

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
Hi Lisa,

It's actually not referring to bm, but rather that healthy, full-term babies have enough iron stores in their bodies to last for at least the first six months. The current research indicates that a baby's iron stores should last between six and twelve months, depending upon the baby.

Infants who are breastfed exclusively for periods of 6-9 months have been shown to maintain normal hemoglobin values and normal iron stores.

The iron in breastmilk is better absorbed than that from other sources. The vitamin C and high lactose levels in breastmilk aid in iron absorption. ?

Iron Source Percentage of Iron Absorbed

breastmilk (~50 - 70%)
iron-fortified cow milk formula (~3 - 12%)
iron-fortified soy formula (less than 1% - 7%)
iron-fortified cereals (4 - 10%)
cow's milk (~10%)

Do note that the amount of iron absorbed from any food depends greatly upon the milk source of iron (eg, human vs cow), type of iron compound in the food, the body's need for iron, and the other foods eaten at the same meal.

The introduction of iron supplements and iron-fortified foods, particularly during the first six months, reduces the efficiency of baby's iron absorption.

The supplements they are referring to are other foods that are high in iron. Eg. Greens, poultry, sweet potatoes, tofu, egg yolks, fish, grains etc.

Hope it helps.

stephiey

Just changed ds FM to Similac.

Was on Dumex at 1st.

This 3days he only drank 80ml of his milk. (4hrs interval)

So brought Similac ytd night.

Intending to change his FM tonite.

Should I just change his FM.

OR should I start by mixing 2 scoops of dumex and 1 scoop of similac?

Which would be better.

stonston

The iron in breastmilk is better absorbed than that from other sources. The vitamin C and high lactose levels in breastmilk aid in iron absorption. ?

The supplements they are referring to are other foods that are high in iron. Eg. Greens, poultry, sweet potatoes, tofu, egg yolks, fish, grains etc.
Super agree w e above :)

Vit C increases iron absorption, so mummies who still bf, load up on fruits!!

when e word 'supplement' is used for babies, it means add solid food or add formula, NOT nutritional supplements!!!

mavis

Just changed ds FM to Similac.
Was on Dumex at 1st.
This 3days he only drank 80ml of his milk. (4hrs interval)
So brought Similac ytd night.
Intending to change his FM tonite.
Should I just change his FM.
OR should I start by mixing 2 scoops of dumex and 1 scoop of similac?
Which would be better.
Hi Stephiey

U should start by mixing 2scoops of Dumex & 1 scoop of similac for a week 1st den follow by 1 scoop dumex & 2 scoop similac for another week den completely on similac. Thats wad my PD teaches me...

stephiey

Hi Stephiey

U should start by mixing 2scoops of Dumex & 1 scoop of similac for a week 1st den follow by 1 scoop dumex & 2 scoop similac for another week den completely on similac. Thats wad my PD teaches me...

Thx for ur advice ~ Cheers

Mrs Xie

i asked the same qns but no1 ans~ BUt another forum told me tt it better to stick same brand unless got prob.
Hmm... LoVeS, think its better to stick to the same brand of FM from stage1 to stage2, unless any probs occur....:tlaugh:

chupa

hv tried the sample pack of the goats milk that i got...but my gal have red spot around her mouth....:tsad:check with the gp, he say my gal may hv lactose intolerant. but when she is born, the hosp give her nan milk and she has no problem leh...now lost dont know what to do...