When do you stop baby-talk to your child

elmo493

Hi,

This question suddenly occur to me when I heard my niece who is 5 year old still say "I want to go to yao yao". At this age, they should be saying playground. Isn't it so.

It will be difficult for them to change the habit once they grow up. so when should we stop baby-talk to him.

CanCanMum

no specific age...coz my boy can baby talk or adult talk at the same time....he can relate which baby talk = adult talk.

eg : pom-pom time! = "mummy wo yao chong liang liao" (Mummy i wan to bathe already)

gai gai = "mummy wo men yao qu shopping shi ma" (mummy are we going shopping?)

sometimes i babytalk to him and he will correct me somemore!!

think they learn in school...

SH74

i dun use much baby talk to my boy. only ones i say r, gai gai, pom pom, ng ng and shi shi. 'cause ppl say it's not good to baby talk. better to talk to them in adult language. they'll learn faster when they r older.

ilovekek

i dun use much baby talk to my boy. only ones i say r, gai gai, pom pom, ng ng and shi shi. 'cause ppl say it's not good to baby talk. better to talk to them in adult language. they'll learn faster when they r older.
I agree...I also talk using normal language.They eventually will follow our sentence. :001_302:

elmo493

Agreed, I noticed that my boy would look at my lip or stare at me when I repeated the word slowly to him. I believe he is trying to learn what I am saying and try to repeat what I just say. so better stop all the baby talk

SH74

ya lor. will stare, like trying to learn. i tried saying to him sounds like, ba, ca, ta, da, za, sa,... he'll try to imitate. aft some time, he say it himself.

jazz_sofia

i never baby talk to my daughter...i use the normal talk...well, i do use the "goochi goochi goo, ur so cute baby, yes u are!"...but other than that, i dont...so my daughter speak straight from the beginning...she says 'i like milk pls" not "meh meh...or deh deh...or mih mih' like my friends children.

snowbear

I also dun like to use baby talk with my dd coz i think i will have to correct her when she grows older.. so what's the pt? It's really irritating when my family members insist on speaking baby lang to my dd though even tho they can see the prob of correcting my niece (who's 2 years old) now...

stonston

I've nvr used 'baby talk' with my son. Only sometimes we mix our sentences with some malay bcos of my maid, but my maid will try her best to use proper english with my son.

I've never used 'baby talk' with my son. Only sometimes we mix our sentences with some malay bcos of my maid, but my maid will try her best to use proper english with my son.

Fully agree that we should not 'baby-talk' to the little ones.

Just imagine...for example, instead of telling them that is food, we say 'mum..mum'. Instead of water, we say ' shui-shui'. Instead of dog, we say ' wo-wo'.

When the little one grows up a little, and when you try to correct them, they have to 're-learn'. Why dont't we do it right at the first time. Hence less confusing for them, isn't not?