Any New Mummy NOT Breastfeeding

sugarcookie

Hi all,

Are there any new mummies who are NOT breastfeeding and are giving their babies formula? Do you feel guilty? Do others judge you? If yes, how do you cope?

I was breastfeeding my DD for two weeks but due to various issues (baby keeps falling asleep at my breast after a few minutes of sucking, my milk supply is insufficient and dwindling), I have started giving her formula. But I feel extremely guilty, especially since my family has always been pro-breastfeeding and are totally against formula. Sigh.

Any such Mummies out there???

CDL

Yes there are many mummies who have been unable to breastfeed for long due to illness, work etc. Have your tried using a pump? You might want to try pumping every 2 hours and continue to eat and drink well. Over time and with patience, your supply should increase. Try green papaya soup as well and lots of fish. Fenugreek is supposed to help increase milk supply.

You also need to have good sleep and enough of it. You mustn't let yourself become upset or emotional (sometimes easier said than done!). A foudn that all this affected my milk supply as well.

Even if all this doesn't help, feeing your BB FM is the best you can give him in the circumstances and you should focus on his other development, as well

wenz

For my DS i din BF him cos back then i was too young to know wat is breastfeeding... and how to breastfeed...

For my DD when i just finished given birth to her i was too tired to breastfeed her so i told the nurse to give her formula milk first... but wrong move! ever since then she only wan formula milk.. i tried BF her for 2 weeks but failed, she'll cry and cry and reject it, i tried pumping out and bottle feed her she refuse also den last resort i mixed BM with FM still she dun wanna take and will only stop crying when i give her FM...

so i din BF her at all... but this time round i'm gonna try again.... hehe

CanCanMum

my experience was 3 years ago?

i wasnt able to persevere for more than 2 months of part time breastfeeder....but given certain situations/circumstances that we may be faced with that caused us being unable to do what was originally planned, although personally, i had very much wanted to provide for my sonnie the best milk that he can have.

afterall, baby needs you more than anything else.

isabelandrew

You just gave bith right? I think still got chance one.
See lactation consultant. I recommend you Sister Kang from Mount A. Very good :)

I was hospitalised for few days and din BF. Terribly miss the baby and breastfeeding her man. when i return, i feed her non stop... dunno why. maybe this is instinct.

btw, please dun care how ppl judge you. whether u BF or FM, you r still the mother and your baby will always look for u next time for comfort.

the most important thing is to love ur kid. nowadays formula milk is very good.....

stonston

Don't worry other judging you. Wot's most impt is u noe tt u've tried ur best.
Your situation dun seem tt bad at the moment. if u r willing to try, see a lactation consultant. good recommendations are Mrs. Wong from TMC or Sister Kang from Mt A.

If want to give formula, you can try giving colostrum (available from health stores in powder form) to gelp boost the immune system :)

Ottermum

hey me too i only gave DS 3 weeks of BM...

when he was out they put him in NICU due to wet lungs so he didn't manage to suckle...

next day they fed him FM n that's it...he doesn't want my breasts anymore...

when i tried breastfeeding him he cried n cried n cried...pushed my chest away somemore...sob sob!!

so i pumped out the milk for 3 weeks n finally called it a day!

don't have to be guilty la... i intended to BF him for at least 9 months...

it was less than a month in the end!!

next time i'll tell him, "Mummy tried to give you the best but you didn't wanna drink it...so i GAVE IT TO DADDY INSTEAD!!!"

Lotus

My first was totally BF until 9 months so I expected that #2 would also be BF.

With #2 after 1 month my mother suggested FM, but I was hesitant as I had no BF issues with #1. But my son was crying all the time, wanting to feed every 2 hours and didn't sleep very well. So I BF and then gave him a bottle of FM, he immediately was very happy and sleep very well. I also continued to pump but noticed that I was never able to get very much out.

It's difficult not to feel guilty as we're taught that breast is best. However I also don't believe in starving my child even if it means giving him formula milk.

sugarcookie

With #2 after 1 month my mother suggested FM, but I was hesitant as I had no BF issues with #1. But my son was crying all the time, wanting to feed every 2 hours and didn't sleep very well. So I BF and then gave him a bottle of FM, he immediately was very happy and sleep very well. I also continued to pump but noticed that I was never able to get very much out.

It's difficult not to feel guilty as we're taught that breast is best. However I also don't believe in starving my child even if it means giving him formula milk.
My daughter is like that as well. She keeps crying, sleeps little and keeps wanting to feed every 1-1.5 hours. I would sometimes let her suckle for up to 1.5 hours but she would still cry! When I "top up" with formula, she becomes contented. When I pump, I don't get much as well :(

I'm currently doing mixed feeding; breastfeed and formula. I'm trying hard to not feel guilty but like you said, it's hard, when everywhere says "breast is best"...Sigh.

When you breastfed your son, how long did you let him suckle before you gave him a bottle of FM?

Last edited:

dodos

My first was totally BF until 9 months so I expected that #2 would also be BF.

Sounds like me. My #3 bf till 1 yr old no problem at all. Now this #4 cry all the time and want to eat every 2 hrs and also didn't sleep well. She can't latch well and will cry and cry. So i can only give ebm but ebm not enough for her already. Only bf her 2wks+ only. So cos don't feel good but i see the end of bf. Not every bb is the same. I used to think sure no problem for the next bb. Can bf one doesn't mean the next one automatic no problem.

Lotus

My daughter is like that as well. She keeps crying, sleeps little and keeps wanting to feed every 1-1.5 hours. I would sometimes let her suckle for up to 1.5 hours but she would still cry! When I "top up" with formula, she becomes contented. When I pump, I don't get much as well :(

I'm currently doing mixed feeding; breastfeed and formula. I'm trying hard to not feel guilty but like you said, it's hard, when everywhere says "breast is best"...Sigh.

When you breastfed your son, how long did you let him suckle before you gave him a bottle of FM?
When very young I let him suckle for about 20 - 30 minutes. Not really sure if he was drinking anything or if it was only for me to feel better.

I tried fenugreek and other supplements, dranks lots of water, but nothing helped.

Try to not let this bother or upset you too much. Remember being a mother is not about whether you breastfed your child or not.

Lotus

Sounds like me. My #3 bf till 1 yr old no problem at all. Now this #4 cry all the time and want to eat every 2 hrs and also didn't sleep well. She can't latch well and will cry and cry. So i can only give ebm but ebm not enough for her already. Only bf her 2wks+ only. So cos don't feel good but i see the end of bf. Not every bb is the same. I used to think sure no problem for the next bb. Can bf one doesn't mean the next one automatic no problem.
Wow you're up to #4. You really must be a superwoman. Just the thought of 4 terrifies me.

Spiralng

Thanks all for your replies. I've started going full-formula but can't get over the guilt...:(

Sigh.
Hi sugarcookie, dun feel guilty, you are better than me, just to let you know, I breastfeed my first kid for only 1 day then i stopped totally. Felt quite bad cos can't take it cos my MIL is screaming in the background asking me to stop breastfeeding.

For my 2nd kid, I only breastfeed for 2 weeks cos I realise my supply too low.

For my present kid now 2months old, Iafter doing loads of reading on breastfeeding and asking, I am happy to say that i am still breastfeeding even though my supply not much. I must say breastfeeding is really hard work. There are many times when i wanted to give up but honestly, if you decided to stop, it's ok just make it up for the next kid. Don't be too hard on yourself.:001_302:

perrier

Thanks all for your replies. I've started going full-formula but can't get over the guilt...:(

Sigh.
Hi Sugarcookie!
I am full formula feeding too! My supply is just too low and I can hardly tell if BB is drinking.. I had gotten over the guilt! Most importantly is BB having enough to eat and is growing well. Though breastmilk is still the best but formula these days are also good!

Ottermum

Hi sugarcookie, dun feel guilty, you are better than me, just to let you know, I breastfeed my first kid for only 1 day then i stopped totally. Felt quite bad cos can't take it cos my MIL is screaming in the background asking me to stop breastfeeding.

For my 2nd kid, I only breastfeed for 2 weeks cos I realise my supply too low.

For my present kid now 2months old, Iafter doing loads of reading on breastfeeding and asking, I am happy to say that i am still breastfeeding even though my supply not much. I must say breastfeeding is really hard work. There are many times when i wanted to give up but honestly, if you decided to stop, it's ok just make it up for the next kid. Don't be too hard on yourself.:001_302:
Hey why your MIL screaming you to stop BFing?

my MIL kept telling me to try try try even though DS didn't want my breasts...

I have not given birth yet so not too sure if I'll feel guilty if I don't breastfeed cos I don't intend to BF...I guess it really depends on individual so don't have to worry about what others think.

snowbear

I have not given birth yet so not too sure if I'll feel guilty if I don't breastfeed cos I don't intend to BF...I guess it really depends on individual so don't have to worry about what others think.
I don't mean to be rude here but just curious... why are you not intending to bf since you haven't even tried?