EDD Mar 2014

jo1402

But wad brand of maternity pads are good? I only saw Kotex maternity pads in Watsons.
Hi Miracleseasons,

Both of my frens who had babies recommended Kotex Maternity pads. One said loop version is better while the other said the adhesive ones are gd enough. I have bought from NTUC Fairprice already - Loop ones cost only $1.70 per packet of 10 pads while adhesive ones cost $6.30 for the same number of pads. Bought 2 packets of adhesive ones n only 1 packet of loop ones (not sure if I'll be used to loop ones). I was advised that the first week after birth would be rather heavy flow. Each time to use 2 pads to extend the pads even longer to prevent stains. So one day can easily use up to 6 pads. After that some said you can use normal pads that's for night use.

I was advised to use disposable panties too so that I can throw away without hassle of washing the panties if the stain is major. I think personally I prefer this cos also less paiseh towards my confinement lady =). I have used Watsons brand of disposable panties (100% cotton & cotton crotch) - and they are rather comfortable and not so easily torn =)

jo1402

Thanks for the advice Jo! Anyone knows how to wear loop pad? Never seen one before!

Anyway merry Christmas everyone :)
Eh, actually no idea =) But some older colleagues said should have a string or wat.. to connect the loops and around the waist.

jo1402

merry xmas to all!

28 weeks commence for me.. and that is officially 3rd trim from the pregnancy apps i downloaded :)
Yup, I asked Gynae too, he said 28 weeks is the start of 3rd trimester. I'm 1 day away from 28 weeks! Fast rite? Nw we are all gg or already in the last trimester =)

Btw, who has bought the shower / shampoo stuff for baby? Any recommendations? My colleague recommended Mustela brand (2-in-1 shampoo cum bath). I saw it selling at normal price of $18.50 for 200ml on Motherswork website (Mustela Bebe 2 in 1 Hair and Body Wash on motherswork.com.sg). Do you think it's consider expensive or ok? Anyone bought stuff from this website before?

honeygirl

Dear jadeite & the rest mummy,
yeah! All of us are proceeding into 3rd trimester !
That is fast ! Ya , another 3 more months to go!
After CNY, it will be faster :) as for the loop sanitary pad,
You need a string to tie it as there are two loop at the front and
back . The pad with slight blue line is the back where we put
it with the white pad facing our private area. The string go through any loop ,
Then go through it from our back then go around our wraist ,
Then got two end of string . One of the end go through the front loop ,
Encircle our two thighs and tie a knots at any side of wraist to sercure it .
Hope you can figure what I trying to explains . Once you
get it, is easier to use it :)

Taboo

Dear jadeite & the rest mummy,
yeah! All of us are proceeding into 3rd trimester !
That is fast ! Ya , another 3 more months to go!
After CNY, it will be faster :) as for the loop sanitary pad,
You need a string to tie it as there are two loop at the front and
back . The pad with slight blue line is the back where we put
it with the white pad facing our private area. The string go through any loop ,
Then go through it from our back then go around our wraist ,
Then got two end of string . One of the end go through the front loop ,
Encircle our two thighs and tie a knots at any side of wraist to sercure it .
Hope you can figure what I trying to explains . Once you
get it, is easier to use it :)
Thanks for the info honeygirl:) Wat kind of string is recommended?

honeygirl

Dear taboo & other mummy,
Think nylon string will do. Cannot wear the elastic kind wait it
will drop when you walk . Actually in market , there are stick on
maternity sanitary pad too:)

jadeite

Jo, I'm using mothers work website as my baby registry. Find that most of their stuff like gymini bouncer and baby monitor etc are decently priced and comparable to other places. They only sell branded clothes, textiles and crib sheets though so even though they're all super gorgeous, very expensive, like $50 for one towel!

From my baby registry, I have already received the beaba potty, crib mobile, one on sale crib sheet, bouncer, blanket, baby books etc. it's v helpful for me cuz it's a way for people to gift you the stuff that you really need.

Motherswork also sells the California baby organic toiletries... I'm tempted to get those.

Last edited:

jadeite

Honey girl, thank you for explaining but it sounds complicated haha! Normal stick on maternity pad cannot?? After all we will be at home on confinement. Don't think we will be super active right. By the time we get to go out of the house, it shouldn't be so heavy anymore? How long does lochia normally last?

jo1402

Jo, I'm using mothers work website as my baby registry. Find that most of their stuff like gymini bouncer and baby monitor etc are decently priced and comparable to other places. They only sell branded clothes, textiles and crib sheets though so even though they're all super gorgeous, very expensive, like $50 for one towel!

From my baby registry, I have already received the beaba potty, crib mobile, one on sale crib sheet, bouncer, blanket, baby books etc. it's v helpful for me cuz it's a way for people to gift you the stuff that you really need.

Motherswork also sells the California baby organic toiletries... I'm tempted to get those.
Oh ok, thanks Jadite =) For the baby registry - how do u share with your frens?

jadeite

You just sign up for registry, then you pick the things that you want. I tried to have a good range of prices and items... Then they will give you an URL and you set your own password. Can see mine here:

Registry URL http://www.motherswork.com.sg/giftregistry_home.asp?action=view&id=1598

Password is hellobaby

So when people buy things for you, you will get an email from motherswork. Your friends can ship to you for free if you use the email invite system, they will send a free shipping code. Quite fast since they use the Ta-Q-Bin courier service. You have to be home to collect though...

Hi Mums,

quick check on 2 things:

1) necessary to use baby laundry detergent to wash baby clothes? Normal detergent cannot?

2) Baby bath towels necessary? or can use muslin cloth or ordinary towels?

Layla0401

Hi yellow0075,

1) I was wondering the same thing. My MIL gave me a horrified face when I suggested using normal detergent haha. I am not too sure why either, but recently when I bought a moses basket which came with organic bedding, the SA told me that you cannot use normal detergent on organic material because the chemicals would cause the cloth to be chemically "treated", hence it won't be organic anymore. So I guess that baby laundry detergent has less chemicals? Can anyone else confirm?

2) I was told that baby bath towels with the hood is quite useful as babies lose heat from their heads, so wrapping them up this way after bathing is a good way to prevent heat loss. My friend still uses them for her almost 2-year old. I guess ordinary towels are also fine so long as you dry the head quickly and keep the baby warm. You would probably get baby bath towels in one of those boxed presents from other people so perhaps no need to buy too many.

I start my third trimester tomorrow! We found the start of a several small stretch marks on my lower belly already even with nightly cream application, but not unexpected because my skin is prone to stretch marks. My belly is still considered small-ish for almost 28 weeks (still most comfortable sleeping on my back, my gynae says I can sleep in whatever position I like) but maybe that's because I'm tall.

Happy holidays and have a great 2014 everyone!

jadeite

I think baby detergent is less harsh, less chemicals. Sometimes the harsh chemicals in regular detergent can be irritating to baby's skin. Also don't use powder detergent because powder doesn't wash out as thoroughly as liquid detergent... The residue is also irritating to sensitive skin...cuz I'm prone to skin rash and allergies so I was advised not to use powder detergents which can make allergies worse.

You can throw your nursing bras in with the baby clothes too and wash together with baby detergent :)

I bought a couple of hooded towels but I don't think it's absolutely necessary... They're cute though!! They're quite cheap at the baby fairs.

Speaking of baby fairs, seems like the next big one is in April and all of us will be in confinement! Gonna send the hubs to mass buy diapers. I was advised not to buy any yet since we won't know what size baby can wear. I have three packs of nb size diapers from friends who didn't use them... Is there any recommendation for brand? Think Mt A uses mamypoko.

Layla, my tummy is quite small too... I'm 1.65m tall and I like to sleep on my back too! Hehe. Been using Clarins cream and still no stretch marks, fingers crossed heh

Last edited:
So we can sleep on my back. I normally like to slp on my back but i read some articles and prenatal classes that sleeping on the side is better.

I also bought hooded towel. Too Cute to resist.

Taboo

My tummy is huge compare to my first pregnancy:p Have you girls engaged postnatal Massage ladies? I'm still searching for one...

LH779

I always try to start the night by sleeping on my left (cause will increase blood flow to BB), but whenever I wake up I either on my back or on my right. Hahahaha.
another 3 more months to go, in fact probably only 2.5 months, as my EDD is mid March. Still have lots to do, but i think i'm going back to my 'no energy mode'.

We still have to clear out a room for BB, hasn't get the bed or stroller for him (will get hand-me-down from friends). but both hubby and myself are just to lazy to clear the room.

jadeite

I just moved some furniture with the hubby this week.. Or rather he moved furniture and I helped to clean and move small things haha. Going to Ikea to get baby's cupboard... Want to finish most things this week before new year cuz I'm only going to get bigger and clumsier. Also want to repaint now just in case baby comes early - have to get the paint smell to go away before baby comes!

My gynae said it's ok to sleep on the back but you may need to elevate your legs if you are prone to water retention in the ankles and feet...