EDD Sept 2012 mummies!

Lingz12

Hi mummies.. Got some bf questions to ask.. As I will be having a confinement nanny, I'm tinking of latching bb during the day, then express some in bottles so that confinement nanny can help with night feeds while I sleep.. I bought some milk storage bags but find it too expensive to use throughout confinement.. Was tinking of using them more after I return to work from ML.. Anyone bought reusable milk storage bottles? Are they plastic or glass? I heard some glass bottles break as they cannot withstand the temp change wen out of freezer.. What brands do u all buy? I see those Pigeon milk bottles selling 4 for 20+ at kiddy palace.. Are there any cheaper ones?

Also.. I was reading those bf books.. They say to let bb latch on one breast until satisfied before changing to another breast.. But I oso rem seeing sme mummies mentioning that while bb latch on one breast, the other breast will leak too.. Like a bit waste the milk leh.. Should we be pumping the other breast while feeding bb on one? Or jus collect whatever that leaks.. if we pump it out, then does it mean we are onli feeding bb on one breast per session?

Paiseh for the long post.. First time mom.. Super clueless.. Haha.. :D

My colleague just told me that for baby girl (not all baby girl) it is common and normal that during the first week the baby will have some blood discharge from her vagina area (each baby differs, BF babies might take longer time) which some people addressed as first menstrual period. Please remember not to be alarmed when this happen because it is normal.

This is the first time i heard about this, so i thought of sharing it here too.. Just FYI and pls dont faint or scream when it happens.. lolz.

felicity

eeneyminey, it's the first time i heard abt it too when i learnt abt it in the prenatal class :)

Lingz i'm totally clueless too! but from my prenatal class, advised not to get glass bottles in case of cracks and worse, chips that we didn't notice and left inside the bottle with the milk...

for other things like latch one side and pump other side? i've heard too but not too sure, cos i'm as clueless as u, fellow first time mum~ :p only know supposed to empty one side first before proceeding the other side so bb will be full from both the foremilk and hindmilk?

felicity

Only for normal delivery :) and pur only online unless some baby stores sell them but i think would be more pricey...
yup i bought from the link u shared! i saw the shop in kkh got sell... at $39.90! the ebay seller u shared selling at $18, vast difference! i immediately ordered!!

still in sch but gg for my gynae appt soon... first appt of my 37th week... v excited! today keep gg toilet to pee and poo whole morning... over 10 times. some colleagues say maybe is bb coming :eek:

yup i bought from the link u shared! i saw the shop in kkh got sell... at $39.90! the ebay seller u shared selling at $18, vast difference! i immediately ordered!!

still in sch but gg for my gynae appt soon... first appt of my 37th week... v excited! today keep gg toilet to pee and poo whole morning... over 10 times. some colleagues say maybe is bb coming :eek:

Waww.. 37th week alrd!! So exciting!! Keep us updated on the baby's growth.. I was told that keep wanting to poo is one of the signs of our little one coming.. hahaha..

Uttmama

Hi mummies.. Got some bf questions to ask.. As I will be having a confinement nanny, I'm tinking of latching bb during the day, then express some in bottles so that confinement nanny can help with night feeds while I sleep.. I bought some milk storage bags but find it too expensive to use throughout confinement.. Was tinking of using them more after I return to work from ML.. Anyone bought reusable milk storage bottles? Are they plastic or glass? I heard some glass bottles break as they cannot withstand the temp change wen out of freezer.. What brands do u all buy? I see those Pigeon milk bottles selling 4 for 20+ at kiddy palace.. Are there any cheaper ones?

Also.. I was reading those bf books.. They say to let bb latch on one breast until satisfied before changing to another breast.. But I oso rem seeing sme mummies mentioning that while bb latch on one breast, the other breast will leak too.. Like a bit waste the milk leh.. Should we be pumping the other breast while feeding bb on one? Or jus collect whatever that leaks.. if we pump it out, then does it mean we are onli feeding bb on one breast per session?

Lingz:
I read about not expressing and using bottles for the first 4-6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion. i intend to feed exclusively by having the bb to latch but i am really not sure how fit (physically and mentally!) i am for that, considering we have to feed every 2-3 hours.

also read, like what felicity mentioned that mummies are to empty one side first before proceeding the other side so baby will get to the hindmilk (and in the case that the breast is not emptied, we have to continue with that sided on the next feed)

hellooooo my EDD is 28 Sept... so now i'm at wk 33... baby boy Ethan is 2.3kg already! and i've gained about 9kg so far... getting really bad aches, at the butt/pelvic/thighs area... and also getting v anxious about delivery! wonder what's the pain going to be like... =\ will be delivering at Mt A...

currently on 5 wks hospitalisation leave, coz gynae said i got irritable uterus... and got high risk of preterm labour... so was hospitalised for 3 days, had 2 jabs at my butt, put on Ventolin drip, on medication... now at home, but still on medication... supposed to have as much bed rest as possible... so that i'll have lesser contractions...

hellooooo my EDD is 28 Sept... so now i'm at wk 33... baby boy Ethan is 2.3kg already! and i've gained about 9kg so far... getting really bad aches, at the butt/pelvic/thighs area... and also getting very anxious about delivery! wonder what's the pain going to be like... =\ will be delivering at Mt A...

currently on 5 wks hospitalisation leave, coz gynae said i got irritable uterus... and got high risk of preterm labour... so was hospitalised for 3 days, had 2 jabs at my butt, put on Ventolin drip, on medication... now at home, but still on medication... supposed to have as much bed rest as possible... so that i'll have lesser contractions...

hellowww.. our edd just 1 day apart, mine is on 29th sept! hahaha..

Gosh.. your condition sounds frightening. But your baby seems like in good weight already. Keep your thoughts positive and rest well.. Try to keep talking to baby ethan to stay inside few weeks more.. ^^

hellowww.. our edd just 1 day apart, mine is on 29th sept! hahaha..

Gosh.. your condition sounds frightening. But your baby seems like in good weight already. Keep your thoughts positive and rest well.. Try to keep talking to baby ethan to stay inside few weeks more.. ^^
eeney, are u delivering at Mt A too??

yea initially we thought it was scary... coz before my gynae admitted me to hospital, she said my cervix opened 0.5cm already... everytime she shakes my tummy, i'll get a contraction... and coz of that, she says i have irritable uterus... but i've always thought having BH contractions are common... =\

during the hospital stay, they put me in the delivery room for 1 night... that was pretty frightening, coz i'll see mummies who are about to deliver... there was one at wk 34 and she had a bloody 'show' already...

eeney, are u delivering at Mt A too??

yea initially we thought it was scary... coz before my gynae admitted me to hospital, she said my cervix opened 0.5cm already... everytime she shakes my tummy, i'll get a contraction... and coz of that, she says i have irritable uterus... but i've always thought having BH contractions are common... =\

during the hospital stay, they put me in the delivery room for 1 night... that was pretty frightening, coz i'll see mummies who are about to deliver... there was one at wk 34 and she had a bloody 'show' already...

woww.. what an experience! lolz..

i'll be delivering at tmc. if we're in the same hosp, maybe we will be admitted on the same or day or near date and can visit each other.. lolz..

i think the good news here is that ur cervix already dilate 0.5cm.. hahahhaa.. must remember not to stress out and think too much. positive thinking really matters alot in this kind of situation. the more irritated you get, ur uterus might have more contractions..

felicity

Hi everyone! Back from gynae appt... My weight gain is horrible! I gained 2kg in a week!! Doc says to eat apples, carrots and celery only for all three meals *gasps* I bought apples and baby carrots... Don't like celery >< anyway bb is at 3.1kg and everything is normal for bb... I told doc I was born at over 4 kg in week 42, he says I get retribution for giving my mum a hard time to push.. Haha.. But he also says my bb so big already probably will be well over 4.5kg if in 42nd week >< I hope to give birth in 39th week though *fingers crossed*

Hi mamadinosaur! Wow what an experience! >< yea stay positive! :D

Hi everyone! Back from gynae appt... My weight gain is horrible! I gained 2kg in a week!! Doc says to eat apples, carrots and celery only for all three meals *gasps* I bought apples and baby carrots... Don't like celery >< anyway bb is at 3.1kg and everything is normal for bb... I told doc I was born at over 4 kg in week 42, he says I get retribution for giving my mum a hard time to push.. Haha.. But he also says my bb so big already probably will be well over 4.5kg if in 42nd week >< I hope to give birth in 39th week though *fingers crossed*

Hi mamadinosaur! Wow what an experience! >< yea stay positive! :D

Lolz.. am i allowed to agree with your gynae?! hahahhaa.. you were so biggg when you were born!! But your baby is really in a good weight.. I wanted a big and chubby baby too, easier to take care and doesnt look so fragile i think. But with my body size, i think i wont be able to push out a 3kg baby.. sighz..

Anyway, as long as baby healthy, mummy healthy, who cares!!

Btw i'm starting to climbing up and down staircase in my office now. About 3-4 stories up and down, hopefully can help me dilate faster.. by the time i reach office, my leg feels like falling off alrd.. Felicity, i really dunno how u can stand it all this while.. thumbs up for you again!

felicity

Waww.. 37th week alrd!! So exciting!! Keep us updated on the baby's growth.. I was told that keep wanting to poo is one of the signs of our little one coming.. hahaha..
Haha gynae nv say little one engaged already so I guess not so soon.. I really hope so! Want bb to pop in 39th week :p

felicity

Lolz.. am i allowed to agree with your gynae?! hahahhaa.. you were so biggg when you were born!! But your baby is really in a good weight.. I wanted a big and chubby baby too, easier to take care and doesnt look so fragile i think. But with my body size, i think i wont be able to push out a 3kg baby.. sighz..

Anyway, as long as baby healthy, mummy healthy, who cares!!

Btw i'm starting to climbing up and down staircase in my office now. About 3-4 stories up and down, hopefully can help me dilate faster.. by the time i reach office, my leg feels like falling off alrd.. Felicity, i really dunno how u can stand it all this while.. thumbs up for you again!
eeneyminey, I guess cos I've been doing it for past 1+ years b4 pregnant so I can continue to do so since quite used to it.. But that makes me hungry easily and if I'm really gonna go on an apple n carrot only diet (my colleague says its the hello kitty diet) then I dunno I will hv enough energy to tahan or not!! XD jiayou!!

And yup, as long as bb healthy n mummy healthy is fine.. But I really scared will hv big tear from big baby! ><!!

My gynae did say the biggest he has delivered is over 5kg via c-section o_O!!!

Last edited:

lizzy2101

Lingz:
I read about not expressing and using bottles for the first 4-6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion. i intend to feed exclusively by having the bb to latch but i am really not sure how fit (physically and mentally!) i am for that, considering we have to feed every 2-3 hours.

also read, like what felicity mentioned that mummies are to empty one side first before proceeding the other side so baby will get to the hindmilk (and in the case that the breast is not emptied, we have to continue with that sided on the next feed)
My friend's baby can latch and bottlefed, she use MAM bottles thats why i bought it too, its like close to nipple she says... Better to use closer to nature so u can latch and use bottle for others to help you to feed baby... Tommy tippee is good too i heard.. But then again maybe babies are different so I'm not really sure.

lizzy2101

hellooooo my EDD is 28 Sept... so now i'm at wk 33... baby boy Ethan is 2.3kg already! and i've gained about 9kg so far... getting really bad aches, at the butt/pelvic/thighs area... and also getting v anxious about delivery! wonder what's the pain going to be like... =\ will be delivering at Mt A...

My EDD Sept 27 :D but this is my 3rd so prolly will come out early, I've been getting alot of uncomfortable braxton hicks contractions and pain down there whenever baby kicks, my baby boy name Ethan too :p anyway, try to rest and dont get stress.. To early to give birth for you, try to relax till 37 weeks after that doctor can jab steroids for the baby so it will be fully develop incase he really wanna come out (that's what happened to my friend)...

Piglim

Looks like all of us have lotsa question marks over the breast feeding issues.... I think even reading doesn't help cos I just dun understand.... Maybe there shld be more hands on course/classes on breast feeding.... Like home economics..hahah

I hv been having the diaharrea feeling quite frequently.. But it's just feeling... Nothing comes out when I go to the toilet... Is this a sign? My gynae meeting will be this Friday and thereafter it'll be a weekly meeting with her Le... Soooo nervous! N I'm so sad!!! Two weeks ago my gynae was still saying "so gd ah no stretch marks..." n then yesterday I noticed lines near my belly button!!!! ;(((( but it's just e corner of it.. Sigh... Seems like applying more n early doesn't help.. If it comes it comes..... ;(

Just had my 1st coconut! Cos mummy says start of 37 weeks then can hv coconut once a week... Then now hv to start drinking barley chrysanthemum..etc ;))))))

Just felt a sudden pain but lasted only a second.. Its the 2nd time in 15mins.... Is this Braxton hick? Wats it suppose to feel like?

Also does any mummies out there feel a sudden rush of blood to ur head? I hv this feeling a few times in a day....n I've been feeling very warm lately... All day just wanna stay in e aircon room.... Is this considered hot flushes? Hmmm...

Felicity.. Can't imagine how u'll survive on apple n carrot.. Cos I get so hungry easily nowadays... Time is ticking for us now... Haha I m hoping baby will come out end of 38 weeks!!!! But a bit of mix feelings cos that means end of honeymoon with my hubby.... Cos mil will come n stay with us after that...boooooooooooooo better enjoy now....

Jofeny

Hi, would just like to share my experience.

Glass bottles pls dun use. I broke 3 of mine when it froze (maybe u read my thread earlier?) I use cos i was given foc n didn't know the glass bottle which is commonly used to store milk cracks easily.

Yes milk bags r expensive. Average at ard $0.3 each. Bags r good because no need to steralise n u can flatten/ pack at a certain volume to freeze them. so when u defrost u melt the exact volume that u wan (freshness). That is if u wan. U can freeze n pack the bag to full n defrost also can. But some of the leftovers u got to put in the fridge n use for next feed.

I recommend plastic bottles for daily use in the fridge, got excess then freeze in the freezer. Plastic bottles cheaper in the long run. Ya, some plastic bottles r ridiculously priced. Im using avent (blue caps bottles) n I bought from Facebook group (buzzy tots). I bought second hand from the mummies there n it's new. Each ard $2 each. I bought 6 (180ml). Because I bought many milk bottles, sometimes I also just use the milk bottles to store the milk straight.

Honestly to me, I feel it's quite impossible to pump n bf at the same time. I recall having this "debate" with a mummy in the forum. U can jus use a pillow n imagine it's your baby.

2 hands carry the baby n aiming the "mouth" at your breast (cradle position). Say bb head on your left hand n your right hand supporting the butt. Baby will move, so u need to use your left hand to adjust the height, n right hand to pull/position your nipple into your bb mouth. This position frankly is very tiring if u try to sustain for long. Bb is clueless de. They wun know where is the breast n they will jus keep Turing the head n look for food. Imagine head turning left right left right, n even if your nipple is in their mouth (u r lucky if they dun attempt to rip your nipple out as they turn their head), the angle that they reach your nipple might b not so good (kinked position) n they can't suck correctly. U have to continuously adjust your 2 hands to get into a comfy position. Of cos it might b better with a help of a breast pillow. I din buy, I jus use normal pillow.

N when u pump, u need to hold the funnel to your breast (n massage at the same time). Unless u have 4 hands, else I think it's tough.

Imagine 1 hand to support the head, 1 hand to position your nipple/support the butt, 1 hand to support the funnel n 1 hand to massage the breast that u r pumping (optional).

Yes, on n off bb comes to a stable position n u might have free hands, but honestly u wun b able to handle so many things. U shd b enjoying the bb n see how the cute face sucking your breast instead of dividing your mind n trying to balance a funnel on the other breast.

U might b really able to pump n breastfeed at the same time, if u r able to get those hands free pump. I googled n they have this special bra, that is v tight n allows one funnel to b attached to it n pump, without u using your hand. But then again, do u need to b so efficient that u need to do all of these together? U will feel super sucky. I always tell my Fren I feel like a sugar cane, being sucked dry dry. N the hands free pump is costly.

Yes once bb suck, the other side will leak. Initially my hubby use another bottle to help me collect the dripping milk, then, I start to support the pump bottle (with the funnel) to collect my milk using my arm n my body (like how a aunty put the handbag under her arm). then I realised it's v tough n bm cause itchiness. If it's dripped out n not cleaned immediately, u or the baby will get rashes.

Some mummies use breast shells + nursing bra to collect the dripping milk. I wanted to try. But the shells r expensive ($30) for a pair. I can buy a tin of milk with that amt! Then end up I gave up trying to catch the dripping milk. I jus position my breast pad (half my body wearing bra) to suck the leaking milk

It's really your choice how u wan to do it. Frankly a lot depends on how much milk u have. Usually if u have more, u wouldn't mind the wastage. But if u have little, every drip is a lot. N if it means a lot, then u got to think how long u wan to bf n how much u r willing to invest. Initially i tot I will b bf for a while only, So I din spend extra to buy on other stuff except for the pump n bottle. I din even get any nursing bra/maternity wear because i dun wish to have a hill of stuff that I wun need a few months later.

It's your choice really. N dun vex cos when it comes, u will know what to do. It's good to b aware now but dun b too stressed up. There r simply too many possibilities now to worry. Jia you.

Last edited:

Jofeny

My friend's baby can latch and bottlefed, she use MAM bottles thats why i bought it too, its like close to nipple she says... Better to use closer to nature so u can latch and use bottle for others to help you to feed baby... Tommy tippee is good too i heard.. But then again maybe babies are different so I'm not really sure.
Yup I heard that MAM teats r not bad but I din try. My frens bb got no problem with bf n fm using the teat.

I bought Tommy bottles n luckily my bb is ok with them too when I bf.

Babies r habit creatures, just like us. If u introduce new teats, new milk (bm/fm), new environment - 1st, they might not accept. 2nd - even if they accept but doesn't mean they will accept after sometime if u din train them on it.

There r many schools of thought. I have a Fren who bought a bottle of all different brand before deciding which bottle to give the baby. She wants to see which brand the baby likes.

For me, I jus go straight n buy a lot of TT bottles because of the "nipple confusion" reason. N that TT is close to nipple.

Personally I propose introducing bb bottles n fm as soon as possible. if u read the forum, u might come across baby rejecting teats n fm, ESP when the mummy is going back to work. this is quite disastrous if it's happening to you. Your baby needs u in order to eat.

Once a bb is too used to bm (sweet by nature, who will reject sweet drinks) n your nipple (so soft n got your hug + body heat), who wants a cold hard bottle with milk that is not so sweet. I propose try introducing your bb a fm feed a day (bb eats 3hourly ~ 5hourly) so there r many feeds. This is also to allow the mummy to rest your hands n gain your sanity.

Jus imagine if your bb decides to only drink from your nipple n one day u wish to stop breastfeeding or u have not enough milk for them? U have no other choices. N no one can help u. pls dun let yourself reach that state. At least get your bb train on 1 fm n a bottle to b prepared jus in case u Wana stop.

Initially when my bb reach home, I offered him the teat which comes along with my breast pump, n he is ok to suck. After 1 month I didn't give him this teat, n because my TT bottle is not Steralised yet (sudden hunger), he rejected the pump teat. I was shocked. I thought he already accepted initially but after which he is too familiar with my TT bottles n jus refuse to use another teat. I tried avent n he refused too after 1 month (friends gift).

I only bf him for 1 month because i have been suffering from backaches trying to support him n also the flow of milk is too slow n he get angry while sucking. I have been expressing bm till now (4 months). That day come across a photo of a mum breastfeeding, oh i suddenly miss that feeling (motherly feeling) n tot wanted to take a photo n keep. But now he also reject my nipple. Dun even want to try lo. :( because my nipple flow is too slow compared to the bottle n he already forgotten to drink from my nipple.

Last edited:

erlina040

Hi, it has been some time that I last posted here. However, has been reading all the posts and it has been so helpful!

My edd is also on 29th sept at Thomson medical. Getting excited and have difficulties to sleep through the night. Lots of discomfort and the disturbed sleep is really not helping, especially have to wake up early as I'm a teacher too.