First Time Moms (FTMs)

lizasaifi

Hi mummies! Thanks for replying to my questions. It's a relieve to know that other mummies are having d same questions as I do. :)
Melanie: I tried a crocs model d other day but too bad they didn't have a size 10 which I think will fit me nicely wif room to spare for any expansion. But heard from a friend dat ur feet can get sweaty wearing crocs so it's advisable to wear socks wif it. Wouldn't it look funny if u wear socks wif crocs? Hahaha my company allows crocs or any other shoes dat covers d front of d feet. It's for safety reasons. I'm still looking ard for suitable shoes n crocs is a choice. :)

Asphere: quite a few ppl already recommended me to use medela. So I guess medela it is then. :D hmmm n ur belly button nvr 'pop out'? I guess I shall google abt it too. Hee hee

lizasaifi

msky- Steamline are the ones fit to wear to work, design wise/

tannie- what's the diff between double pump and single pump?

Where do you mummies buy maternity clothes? just normal stretchy bigger dresses from "normal shops" or literally maternity dresses? I heard loads of people buy their dresses from forever 21 and this fashion... And what should we look out for when buying maternity bras?
I get my clothes from normal shops. I usually buy loose ones or one or 2 sizes bigger than my normal clothes. I'm on d plus size side so I either get baggy loose clothes or tunics. For bottoms I usually wear yoga pants as they are very comfy. Only bought one maternity pants n dat is for work mostly. :) it's a pity shops like Dorothy Perkins or New Look doesn't have a maternity section in SG. Otherwise I would have bought maternity clothes from them. ;) get clothes dat are comfortable to wear n also clothes dat u can still wear post natal. Dun have to spend so much on maternity clothes since u will only wear them for a few mths. Dats wat friends n cousins advised me. :D hope this helps!

Asphere

lizasaifi: medela is good.. the freestyle can be either a single or double pump. but i rather to use it as single pump so i can keep track of the flow. keke :) but the price is not cheap if you are getting in singapore.

lizasaifi

lizasaifi: medela is good.. the freestyle can be either a single or double pump. but i rather to use it as single pump so i can keep track of the flow. keke :) but the price is not cheap if you are getting in singapore.
I ever saw at metro city square they selling a box set consisting of a single pump n 2 bottles or something at $299. Not sure if they still have d promo now. I'm going to d taka baby fair this weekend so will take a look there. Not sure if they have breast pumps there though. :)

felicity

I'm first time mum too! In 34th week now n belly button nv pop out too. I actually like it cos it feels like the flesh on my bump is thick enough for the belly button to stay inside.. So bb v protected... Hee.. I'm on the plus side too btw.

Maternity clothes I bought a few from gmarket, continue to wear many of my pre-preggy dresses because I usually get babydoll cut w lots of allowance for tummy, the rest are from my friends who hv gave birth, so I guess I'm v fortunate!

I'm planning to get medela freestyle... Dunno good or not cos still expecting first child :p but impressed when my friend can come out w us sing ktv n pump bm at the same time under a shawl!!

I'm going to taka too! NEED to start shopping... What about buying maternity clothes from online? Cheaper and looks so much better than the ones in M&S for example. Plus size too, so hard to get clothes that fit in SG, much less bigger clothes. Is it wise to buy from online?

Will take into consideration when buying breast pumps.

lizasaifi

Felicity: wow! Admire ur friend! Haha :) it's gd to know there are quite a number of plus size mummies here in this thread. Perhaps dat is why our belly button is not popping out. Hahahaha an advantage then! :D

Melanie: yeah can't wait to start shopping for baby stuff. How far along are u? I juz hit 21 weeks tdy. :) going for anomaly scan next Wednesday so will be able to find out baby's gender if baby co-operates. Hee Hee I have not bought anything online so far. Tempted to buy some from d New Look website but d cost is quite high since its in pounds. :(

liza- as of today I'm 14 weeks Day 6! almost 15 weeks. I'll be going for a doc appt on 7 aug. that'll be when im 17 weeks... HOPE I CAN SEE THE BABY!! and my birthday's coming. muahahahaa. 31st july. :) I saw those clothes on G-market and I SOOOO wanna buy. but the sizes are usually almost all free size, and I'm scared cannot fit :( My friend advice me to buy those clothes that looks huge on the model. those that fit nicely, dont buy else can't wear, waste money.

valinorian

Hi, first-time mum here, I just got confirmation and I'm 8.5 weeks.

I have a few qns,

1) preg cravings - is it ok to be craving some food or snack after dinner? Should I just eat when I have cravings or stick to 3 proper meals a day? Sometimes I feel bloated and no appetite, is this normal?

2) is salmon ok? what about fish oils, I read vitamin A to avoid but what kind is good for the baby?

3) I already feel some clothes I wear a bit tight le. When do I have to start getting maternity wear?

4) for shoes, what brand/kind recommended that's affordable also? I never liked heels so that's lucky in a way I guess. Do I have a get a size bigger?

Hi Val! CONGRATS on your pregnancy!

1. I think it's fine to crave for food after dinner, as long as it's a small portion. It's healthy to gain weight during pregnancy (not too much though) so if you're craving, go for it. just don't over indulge. And yes. a lack of appetite during the first trimester is pretty common. Some mothers even lost weight! Thats due to Morning Sickness mostly. but fluctuation in appetite is common. It'll start to stabalise in the 2nd trimester if your morning sickness doesn't persist.

2. Salmon is MORE than ok. it's good! It has omega 3 which is good for the baby's brain! ... stay away from vitamin A??? i don't think thats accurate. where did you read it? during the end of first trimester (around 12 weeks) your gynae will pass u multivitamin tablets to replace folic acid. it contains vitamins A, D, C , Bs, calcium, iron, folic acid and many others. if we should avoid vitamin A, why will the doc prescribe preggy multivitamins with Vitamin A?

3. Hmmmm I'm currently week 14 and I'm having trouble fitting into my pants and clothes for work! Dresses are getting too tight around breast area and pants around tummy. So I'm going shopping this weekend when I'm 15 weeks. Depends on your body size though. If you feel really uncomfortable in your clothes, it's time to get a new one :) no hard and fast rule. Same goes for maternity bra. When your boobs are spilling out of your normal bra, its a sign to go shopping!

4. I'm having probs with my current flats (i like cloth, comfy but not much support) my feet are expanding! and it's getting uncomfortable to walk with a bigger tummy and heavier body. My colleague who's currently on maternity leave wore crocs all the time! Crocs do sell shoes that look nice enough for work, it's the streamline series. I'll probably be checking it out ASAP. Croc's comfyness is unmatched so far. And getting a size bigger is smart! So when your feet starts swelling halfway though the day, your feet wont get blisters or cramped from squeezing into a now-too-small shoe.

Last edited:

lizasaifi

liza- as of today I'm 14 weeks Day 6! almost 15 weeks. I'll be going for a doc appt on 7 aug. that'll be when im 17 weeks... HOPE I CAN SEE THE BABY!! and my birthday's coming. muahahahaa. 31st july. :) I saw those clothes on G-market and I SOOOO wanna buy. but the sizes are usually almost all free size, and I'm scared cannot fit :( My friend advice me to buy those clothes that looks huge on the model. those that fit nicely, dont buy else can't wear, waste money.
Oh congrats! U r in ur 2nd trimester too! Hee hee exciting isn't it to be able to see ur baby. D last time I saw my baby was when baby was 11 weeks. So dats like more than 10 weeks ago cuz next week I'll be 21 weeks 6 days when I go for my next scan. :) yeah dun believe on free size clothes when u r plus size. It will nvr fit us. I learnt dat from experience. Hahaha ur friend is rite though. Their models are always those slim ones. So see those clothes dat kinda 'hang' on them. ;)

Vali- OH!!!! Animal Vitamin A (more commonly known as "liver vitamins"), when taken in large quantity is not good for the baby but good for us AFTER we give birth. So when preggers just dont take liver, if u can help it. If u happen to love liver, then take small quantities. I use liver as an example cause between the others in the group, like beef or eggs, liver contains highest quantity of Animal Vit A.

Liza- Waaa, why your scan so far apart? Mine is scdeduled every month. which hospital/clinic are you in? YEAH I hate when I buy clothes that are "free size" and can't fit. I think now with a big tummy it's worse. But still thinking of buying one or two first. cause if can't fit when preggers, at least can wear after delivery. haha.

lizasaifi

Vali- OH!!!! Animal Vitamin A (more commonly known as "liver vitamins"), when taken in large quantity is not good for the baby but good for us AFTER we give birth. So when preggers just dont take liver, if u can help it. If u happen to love liver, then take small quantities. I use liver as an example cause between the others in the group, like beef or eggs, liver contains highest quantity of Animal Vit A.

Liza- Waaa, why your scan so far apart? Mine is scdeduled every month. which hospital/clinic are you in? YEAH I hate when I buy clothes that are "free size" and can't fit. I think now with a big tummy it's worse. But still thinking of buying one or two first. cause if can't fit when preggers, at least can wear after delivery. haha.
Melanie: not sure abt dat but I think it's cuz I'm under subsidised program. Dats why scan is far apart. I go to NUH n giving birth there even though i live in AMK. Hahahaha it's cuz I've heard lots of bad cmnts regarding KKH. I'm also under d high risk clinic at NUH cuz of my high blood pressure. Thank God it's stabilised now from wat I see thru my own monitoring at home wif a BP monitor. :) I am still able to wear some of my existing pre-preggers clothes as they are loose fitting like maxi dresses. So I kinda save a lot on clothing except for bottoms which I have to change to yoga pants starting from when I was 12 weeks. Gotten too thick ard d tummy so had to wear yoga pants from then. :D

Oh I do hope you're okay!! I also heard a lot of stories from KKH. So I decided to "upgrade" myself and landed in the private suite. Service like private clinic haha. no diff. I tried private clinic before going to kkh. exactly the same! scan all done there, get photos, blood test all there. only oscar scan diff location. but not far to walk. waiting time also quite short, and more comfy then my previous private clibnic. hahaha. cause got plushier chairs and free drinks :) so quite awesome experience.

Hmmm, talked to my husband about the gmarket thing, he said we'll try buying 1 nursing home wear (dress) 1 office attire and 1 tank top. If all can fit and looks nice, then we'll order more. I'll let u when my verdict comes about. But i havent ordered yet. haha. Need to wait a while (husband in the army, now on course... so i cant use his credit card)

lizasaifi

Melanie: ohhh u're under The Private clinic at KKH. Yeah at first thought of going there but hubby dun want cuz of all d stories. Hahahah so went to NUH n so far I am satisfied wif d service n waiting time. All done at d same clinic including scanning n blood taking. So quite convenient. :)
Hahahaha so u have to wait for ur husband to be back then can shop online. Dats not too bad. I'm going taka tmrw to check out d baby fair. :D YEAH!! Pls do let me noe wats ur verdict on d clothes from gmarket. Saw a few last nite but still thinking whether wanna buy or no. Hahaha

Dragontail

I googled that the taka baby fair ends 5Aug. What would be the must-buys to keep for many months? I'm not due till Jan13 though :p

Odeoly

Hi all mummies to be, congratulation to you. I bought a set Avent Single Electric Breast Pum on 13 July, 2012 (with receipt as proof). Thought my 4 years old Medela Electric Pump not functioning properly. After used Avent Breast Pump, confirmed that it is due to my low milk supply. Now want to sell Avent Breast Pump set at $189 (used only once), include Avent Cups and Lids (new, unopen), disposable breast pads (new, unopen) as showed in the photo taken. Comes with 2 years warranty. Interested please email me (xenialmk@gmail.com) thanks or contact me at 97344165. Please help to ask friends around.
Thanks very much.

ajen

Hi! I'm a ftm too. My EDD is on 22 January 2013. Saw the taka bb fair u mentioned. Hmm, would it be too early to purchase anything? N what are the things that we can start buying n stocking up fr nw? Haa.. I went to the bb fair at expo n went home empty handed cos dunno wat to target on :(