HELP!!!! Refusing solid food agaiN!

apollo

my 9mth old has been refusing cereal & porridge since friday. this aftnoon i tot of giving him new food cos i tot he might got tired of cereal n porridge, so made him some mashed potato. but same thing, he refused to open his mouth and keep crying!!!!

but when it comes to biscuits, he will finish everything happily! and his milk intake remains the same, didnt refuse..

my mum said cos all his food are tasteless without any seasoning etc etc, but i stand firm, telling her i'll not add all those 'junk' into his food now!

any solution to this?? :embarrassed:

meiteoh

I don't think it's taste that is the problem. It could be teething issues - some babies just go on solid strike during teething because it's painful for their gums. Maybe you can try baby-led weaning by intro-ing finger food or lumps in your baby's cereal/porridge/foods.

But try not to worry so much as his milk intake is still the same - if he starts refusing milk, then that's an even bigger problem!

apollo

I dont't think it's taste that is the problem. It could be teething issues - some babies just go on solid strike during teething because it's painful for their gums. Maybe you can try baby-led weaning by intro-ing finger food or lumps in your baby's cereal/porridge/foods.

But try not to worry so much as his milk intake is still the same - if he starts refusing milk, then that's an even bigger problem!
ya we're thinking if it's due to teething. cos he has not been teething for the past 1-2mths alrdy.. n he will bite the spoon n refuse to let go..

but the weird things is, he still can eat baby biscuit -.-"""

Spiralng

Your MIL could be right but instead of adding seasoning, u can add more fish, meat or other veg to make the porriage sweeter. Whereas for cereal, u can add milk to his cereal. Another factor to take note is when did you start your DS on cereal or porriage??? cos if u start him a bit late, he might not get used to the texture of the food yet.

apollo

Your mother in law could be right but instead of adding seasoning, you can add more fish, meat or other veg to make the porriage sweeter. Whereas for cereal, you can add milk to his cereal. Another factor to take note is when did you start your dear son on cereal or porriage??? cos if you start him a bit late, he might not get used to the texture of the food yet.
haha is my mum, not mil.. hehe.. i did add in fish, vege, pumpkin.. adding in diffe ingredients everyday but he still refuses to eat..

i used to add in milk into his cereal, but few weeks ago he refused his cereal for 1 week and i tried adding plain water, he took it well until 2 days ago..

fyi, i started him cereal when he was 5.5mths and porridge at 6mths old :001_302:

Spiralng

haha is my mum, not mother in law.. hehe.. i did add in fish, vege, pumpkin.. adding in diffe ingredients everyday but he still refuses to eat..

i used to add in milk into his cereal, but few weeks ago he refused his cereal for 1 week and i tried adding plain water, he took it well until 2 days ago..

fyi, i started him cereal when he was 5.5mths and porridge at 6mths old :001_302:
Oooops sorry...I old liao cannot see clearly...Hmmm...could be a fussy eater. I tink it's a pass phrase sorry can't help much.

Phoebii Cheng

When my son refuses porridge or cereals, we just let him be, so long as he is drinking milk is good enough.....but of cos we try to give him more variety...we even let him try to feed himself, mayb u can do tht? or he can use his hand to try to pick up his food?

apollo

When my son refuses porridge or cereals, we just let him be, so long as he is drinking milk is good enough.....but of cos we try to give him more variety...we even let him try to feed himself, mayb you can do tht? or he can use his hand to try to pick up his food?
yup i tried letting him take his spoon, and he really did open his mouth to put the spoon in. but only for 2-3 spoonful =(

just now in e aftnoon, i think i'm too impatient, forced him to eat the cereal + mashed potato. he took only 2 spoonful and vomited something lik phelgm out..

dunno izzit his tummy got 'wind'? but if so, he will also reject his milk right?

candy_ian

My son had that just 2 wks bk n it comes once in a blue moon n I realized it's due to teething cos now he's back on track since last wk he's eating again. I guess mayb yours too? Ithink it's ok as long as he's drinking milk. I dun force feed my son all along so when he refused I just gave himmore snacks like fruits n yoghurt which he loves

apollo

My son had that just 2 wks back n it comes once in a blue moon n I realized it's due to teething cos now he's back on track since last wk he's eating again. I guess mayb yours too? Ithink it's ok as long as he's drinking milk. I dont force feed my son all along so when he refused I just gave himmore snacks like fruits n yoghurt which he loves
thks babe!

but i'm afriad ds will become a fussy eater. just now i tried giving him pumpkin porridge and aft ard 2 tablespoon, he vomited everything out! then we realise he didnt swollow everything. he kept purposely 'force' himself to vomit =( but when i made milk for him, he was v happy...

thurs i brought him to my fren's place. my fren used ikan bilis stock to cook the porridge for her bb and ds. he ate 1 whole bowl. but fri onwards, he started to refuse all the cereal/porridge even i put in pumpkin...

i hope it's just teething and not becos he is fussy over food!

anyone using ikan bilis/sliver fish stock to cook pooridge EVERYDAY??? ikan bilis is better or silver fish?

candy_ian

I think silver fish wld b a better choice cos it's not salty compared to ikan bilis. I have a friend who put that into the soup stock. Have u tried pork soup base adding cheese into your mashed potato for taste?

apollo

I think silver fish wld b a better choice cos it's not salty compared to ikan bilis. I have a friend who put that into the soup stock. Have you tried pork soup base adding cheese into your mashed potato for taste?
i tried pork this evening, he refused to eat. as for mashed potato, i added milk lehh cos i dunno which cheese to get =(

just nw ds had his last milk feed b4 he slp, he keep crying while drinking the milk. den my mum applied some ru yi oil for him, he farted alot but still keep crying, den i fed him some colimix.. aft awhile he still keep farting but he can smile alrdy..

i hope his appetite for solid food will regain by tml. =)

candy_ian

i tried pork this evening, he refused to eat. as for mashed potato, i added milk lehh cos i dont know which cheese to get =(

just now dear son had his last milk feed before he sleep, he keep crying while drinking the milk. then my mum applied some ru yi oil for him, he farted alot but still keep crying, then i fed him some colimix.. after awhile he still keep farting but he can smile alrdy..

i hope his appetite for solid food will regain by tml. =)
if he keep farting then shldn't b wind inside? Mayb due to wind he doesn't wanna eat? Anyway I add cheddar cheese into my son's mashed potato as wel as beef, carrot n spinach.

apollo

if he keep farting then shldn't b wind inside? Mayb due to wind he doesn't wanna eat? Anyway I add cheddar cheese into my son's mashed potato as wel as beef, carrot n spinach.
ya.. now we keep thinking izzit due to wind, teething or fussiness that make him refuse his solid foods.. sigh~~~

btw hw u make the potato to not so dry? today i tried, the potato v dry..

Mummy to Baby V

My boy used to eat very fast and a lot from 6+ to 11 months. Then he started to refuse food. We realized he prefer lumpier / crunchier food and wants to finger-feed himself.

- I updated his menu and cook sticky porridge to finger-feed him.
- Offered him small bits of raw fruit instead of steamed fruit
- offered him small bits of pasta (he loves them)
- offered him steamed sweet potato (he loves them)
- give him healthy snacks such as cereal/fruits if he can't finish lunch/dinner
- let him pick bits of food to feed himself (he enjoys this)

Sometimes, kids may have tummy discomfort, so eat less, it's normal. Don't force-feed which may backfire. Always make meal-times enjoyable. :)

annie

my girl suddenly refuse food around 1yr old too.. n till now she still dont enjoy eating. she used to eat alot n anything tat i made for her but now she super picky dunno y.. all of a sudden.. even till now, every meal is a battle.. she always shake her head, push my hands away, overturn her bowl, throw her spoon etc in meal times.. n takes 2.5hrs to feed her! she is now 16mths.. nothing changed... for your son's case, it might just be teething or it might be that he is starting to be picky. some kids jsut suddenly start to be picky like my girl.. i still dunno how i can make her eat properly.. hai~

btw, dun worry so much. babies below 1yr old gets their nutrients mainly from milk so its ok even if your bb dun eat well. as long as u give milk often.

Last edited:

candy_ian

ya.. now we keep thinking izzit due to wind, teething or fussiness that make him refuse his solid foods.. sigh~~~

btw hw you make the potato to not so dry? today i tried, the potato very dry..
I add in purée carrot/pumpkin which is alitle watery then after adding I add water until I get the texture u wan. My son likes to chew on his food Sobieski don't make it too mashy.

apollo

my girl suddenly refuse food around 1yr old too.. n till now she still dont enjoy eating. she used to eat alot n anything that i made for her but now she super picky dont know y.. all of a sudden.. even till now, every meal is a battle.. she always shake her head, push my hands away, overturn her bowl, throw her spoon etc in meal times.. n takes 2.5hrs to feed her! she is now 16mths.. nothing changed... for your son's case, it might just be teething or it might be that he is starting to be picky. some kids jsut suddenly start to be picky like my girl.. i still dont know how i can make her eat properly.. hai~

btw, dont worry so much. babies below 1yr old gets their nutrients mainly from milk so its ok even if your baby dont eat well. as long as you give milk often.
yep i noe their main nutrients comes from milk. but i'm wry if he dont take sloid food, or rather dont eat via spoon for days, will he 'forget' how to eat via spoon? :embarrassed:

annie

wont la lol dun worry. this is a natural instict. i dun give my girl solids when we go holidays overseas before she is 1yr old.. because i wasnt ready to give her canned food or outside food tat time so i rather she takes only my milk(breastmilk) n no solids...

apollo

wont lol dont worry. this is a natural instict. i dont give my girl solids when we go holidays overseas before she is 1yr old.. because i wasnt ready to give her canned food or outside food that time so i rather she takes only my milk(breastmilk) n no solids...
thks babe!

side-track abit.. i'm bringing ds to bkk on end of may, he will be ard 11.5mths, reaching 1yo by then.. can i feed him fulling on MILK for tt 4 days?? cos lik what u said, i'm not ready to let ds start putside food so soon.. i'm thinking of letting him eat cereal in e morning and the rest of the day ALL milk. but now i think quite diffi for him to eat cereal until 11.5mths old.. =(