Is c-section an option in singapore?

CJmom

blessings, dun think any gynae would disallow you to have c-sect as it is your personal choice.

C-sec Pros:
Don't have to suffer labour
Can choose auspicious date
Ordeal over very fast
Post pain can be controlled by painkillers which are safe for breastfeeding
Baby head shape very nice
Don't have to worry about pain when peeing :)

C-sec Cons:

Bigger scar
Longer post recovery
Cannot carry heavy things >5kg

You have to take note though that if your 1st child is c-sec, your chance of a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-sec) for your 2nd child is dependent on how your first c-sec heals and also the development of the baby. If your gynae assess that you are not suitable for a VBAC, then you cannot have natural birth anymore cos once you go for 2nd c-sec, all your other preggies will have to be c-sec all the way. So you have to consider this very carefully.

hey blessings my edd is 15th oct but i read from other thread that 1st birth like always early de. so..... aniway i,m nw @ 27 wks n i,l b visiting my gynae tmr hmmm dun noe what he have to say or ask. e last appt he mentioned abt cordblood banking but nothing abt my birth plan so mayb he will talk abt it tmr. with rgds to folic acid i only took it for e 1st 3 mths then during my subsequent visit when he gave me e prescribtion for calcium, iron n fish oil then i asked him abt follic acid he say no need eat oredi. so i juz followed lor ....mayb u wan to chk with ur gyane ??? or he may dispense some other medi / vit that u may need instd to replace folic acid.

stonston

If you are worried about the pain, then ask for epidural the moment you start to feel any discomfort. I asked for epidural once i felt a little bit of pain & my whole delivery was very enjoyable because I don't remember any pain at all. Recovery was also very fast, I was up & about within 3 hours (wait for epi to wear off cos no feelings in the leg) & I was still full of energy when my family visited me at 7am in the morning (I delivered at 4am).

My confinement was also a breeze cos by the time I reach home, I dun feel like I've just given birth (other than the fact tt now I have a newborn to take care of). & in the hospital they teach us how to bathe baby & all the mummies gotta gather in the room, I saw alot of them who underwent C section, cannot even walk on their own, must sit wheel-chair go to the room & it was their last day in hospital already. Even saw 1 lady cry very badly cos the nurse 'force' her to get out of bed after her c-section (you must get out of bed before you can be discharged). & my friend fainted during her confinement cos her c section wound was too painful to bear (lucky her MIL was home).

And my gynae said that c section is considered major surgery, there are risks involved. so he said tt unless it's health condition or emergency tt concerns life, he would not recommend c section. he was the one who told me if really scared of pain, just take epidural straightaway so that there will be no pain.

november

I csect 2 months ago too! And i opt for it right from start, reason is because i want it to be short and sweet and no labour pain or contractions. I still enjoy my child birth cuz i opted epidural and will be awake during op. Can also see my baby the first instance he came to the world! Hubby also can go in and witness my " sufferrings "

polopolo

blessings, dont think any gynae would disallow you to have c-sect as it is your personal choice.

C-sec Pros:
dont't have to suffer labour
Ordeal over very fast
dont't have to worry about pain when peeing :)

C-sec Cons:
Bigger scar
Longer post recovery

You have to take note though that if your 1st child is c-sec, your chance of a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-sec) for your 2nd child is dependent on how your first c-sec heals and also the development of the baby. If your gynae assess that you are not suitable for a VBAC, then you cannot have natural birth anymore cos once you go for 2nd c-sec, all your other preggies will have to be c-sec all the way. So you have to consider this very carefully.
This is such a useful information for ppl like me... still deciding between natural n c-sect...... thanx!!! I guess i wil go for c-sect cos its less stressful on both mum n baby...hehe!!

If you are worried about the pain, then ask for epidural the moment you start to feel any discomfort. I asked for epidural once i felt a little bit of pain & my whole delivery was very enjoyable because I dont't remember any pain at all. Recovery was also very fast, I was up & about within 3 hours (wait for epi to wear off cos no feelings in the leg) & I was still full of energy when my family visited me at 7am in the morning (I delivered at 4am).

My confinement was also a breeze cos by the time I reach home, I dont feel like I've just given birth (other than the fact that now I have a newborn to take care of). & in the hospital they teach us how to bathe baby & all the mummies gotta gather in the room, I saw alot of them who underwent C section, cannot even walk on their own, must sit wheel-chair go to the room & it was their last day in hospital already. Even saw 1 lady cry very badly cos the nurse 'force' her to get out of bed after her c-section (you must get out of bed before you can be discharged). & my friend fainted during her confinement cos her c section wound was too painful to bear (lucky her mother in law was home).

And my gynae said that c section is considered major surgery, there are risks involved. so he said that unless it's health condition or emergency that concerns life, he would not recommend c section. he was the one who told me if really scared of pain, just take epidural straightaway so that there will be no pain.
wow ston ston reading ur post reali gave me a boast abt natural birth but then again i may nt end up having such a relax n enjoyable birth experience like urs even though i reali hope to have such luxury too. kip my finger cross but i reali hope to be able to deliver naturally w/o any complication @ all bo pi bo pi kekeke.when i went back for my appt last week gynae told me bb head dwn le i still blur blur then ask him huh u mean so fast hahahahahaaha then he say nw @ 27 wks more or less bb head shld b dwn if nt then jialat i was like hey u scaring me lor. but ston ston u mean after delivery they actulli got teach u hw to bath or rather hw to take care o bb ah? i tot they do that during the antenntal class ( i,m starting my class soon). in ur opinion is e class worth gg? n also u did nt mention abt ur recovery after birth was it oso a pleasure with min pain or wat esp during ur toilets visits etc.......thks for sharing.

stonston

I went for antenatal class, but they use a doll. At the hospital (before discharge) they use a REAL BABY to demo :) & by then, we kindaf forgot what they taught at antenatal class also. HAHA!

My recovery was a PLEASURE :)
No pain at all even though had some stitches down there (credits to my gynae!). My hb says there's no visible scar down there at all too :) & he prefers having *ahem* more now cos he tell my gynae to sew 'tighter'.
I could walk about & do everything :) Carry baby, squat down to play with baby on mattress, etc etc. No problems at all. & because I was not in any pain and not miserable, I enjoyed my confinement, just that I wished I could go out more cos it can get quite boring at home (so I resorted to online shopping & my hb regretted getting me a credit card!).

stonston

Oh ya, forgot to mention, I did not take any pain killers or medication for pain after giving birth. Only took some fibre drinks to ease passing motion. But I had no problems with that.

& I walked alot during my pregnancy to exercise cos gynae says it'll make delivery a breeze.

CJmom

This is such a useful information for ppl like me... still deciding between natural and c-sect...... thanx!!! I guess i wil go for c-sect cos its less stressful on both mum and baby...hehe!!
polopolo, u're most welcome.

Like what my gynae told me, even if you try for natural and not successful, you will still have to go for c-sec which then it will be considered as emergency (which is more expensive and daddy cannot be in the ops theatre). In addition, you would have "suffered" all the hours for nothing. Might as well get over with it fast with c-sec and anyway with so many c-sec surgeries done today, c-sec is safe (cos most surgeons are so skilled).

Nevertheless, natural birth has it's advantages too and I'm 100% supportive of that but didn't had the chance to go through it for both of my pregnacies.:( The closest I experienced was going through long hours of labour pains as I insisted on natural for my 2nd preggie. But in the end, had to go under the knife cos cervix stopped at 5cm. Sigh.

My massage lady said c-sec mommies tend to have more water-retention then natural birth mommies. So that's 1 more cons to add for c-sec.

Ting

Oh ya, forgot to mention, I did not take any pain killers or medication for pain after giving birth. Only took some fibre drinks to ease passing motion. But I had no problems with that.

& I walked alot during my pregnancy to exercise cos gynae says it'll make delivery a breeze.
same~
i didnt take any painkillers either. but i dont dare to squat, cos i scared the stitch tear.
my stitches also didnt leave a scar.
BUT, the doc i visited after my stitches heal, he very weird!
cos he checked for me and guess what he said:"wah, very beautiful~" and i was like WHAT? and he said, oh no no, i meant healed very nicely, no scar."
sure scared the hell outta me......

yyt47

blessings, dont think any gynae would disallow you to have c-sect as it is your personal choice.

C-sec Pros:
dont't have to suffer labour
Ordeal over very fast
dont't have to worry about pain when peeing :)

C-sec Cons:

Bigger scar
Longer post recovery

1 curious question to anyone who knows- is it true that if we choose C-Sec, the max # of birth by C-Sec is only to have 3kids nothing more?

My 1st gal had to go C-Sec as breech & now for my #2 i am thinking to go C-sec or natural.......

Ting

hmmm, i dun think so la, cos my mum hv 3 kids, n all of us is by c sect.
but her gynae still asked if she wan to try 4th child since all girls.

blessings

wah, this topic is really interesting cos some of you delivered naturally and some thru c-sect and different pple experience different things. i think i will also choose c-sect lah, coz i also worry abt the long hours of labour and my last chk up, gynae said my baby is quite big, so i think mayb i will choose c-sect. can i ask if i choose to have c-sect right from the start, will they schedule the delivery day ahead of the EDD? and epidural is a must for c-sect right? can the husband stay in the operating room if i choose to numb half body? coz i will definetely want to see the baby right away and hear baby's irst cry.

CanCanMum

hey mommies,

ive got a ques to ask too.. when exactly is considered an emergency c-sect?
when all natural, induced, assisted delivery fails, den the doctor will need to do Emergency C-section to get the baby out fast to prevent danger to life etc.

mrsmorgan

when all natural, induced, assisted delivery fails, then the doctor will need to do Emergency C-section to get the baby out fast to prevent danger to life etc.
so u mean if i decide to go for c-sect upon arrival at e hosp, it wouldn't be charged as emer c-sect?

Ting

wah, this topic is really interesting cos some of you delivered naturally and some thru c-sect and different pple experience different things. i think i will also choose c-sect , coz i also worry about the long hours of labour and my last chk up, gynae said my baby is quite big, so i think mayb i will choose c-sect. can i ask if i choose to have c-sect right from the start, will they schedule the delivery day ahead of the EDD? and epidural is a must for c-sect right? can the husband stay in the operating room if i choose to numb half body? coz i will definetely want to see the baby right away and hear baby's irst cry.
id the baby is quite big, the gynae might suggest c-sect.
think they will let u choose your delivery date.
normally shld be close to the EDD.
if u r choose to be awake during c sect, of cos need epi!
u mean u can stand the pain of doctor cutting u?!?! hehe :D
i think in this case hubby shld be allowed into the delivery room, might wanna check with your gynae too. :)

yyt47

wah, this topic is really interesting cos some of you delivered naturally and some thru c-sect and different pple experience different things. i think i will also choose c-sect , coz i also worry about the long hours of labour and my last chk up, gynae said my baby is quite big, so i think mayb i will choose c-sect. can i ask if i choose to have c-sect right from the start, will they schedule the delivery day ahead of the EDD? and epidural is a must for c-sect right? can the husband stay in the operating room if i choose to numb half body? coz i will definetely want to see the baby right away and hear baby's irst cry.
Yes, for C-Sec, you choose the date that you want to have the op-normally can be 1-2wks before the EDD, your choice of a special date..... You pay for the package under Elective C-Sec (Emergency C-Sec is more ex).
You definately need Epidural if u wanna be awake to see the baby with your hubby. If you go for GA, you will not see yr baby till after u awake and hubby cannot be inside OT of course.