IUI Plan & Info

hopeful17

Thank u Viv & Sphyaw.

@Viv,

The following is what i did after my Dr's appointment, during my SO-IUI and during the 2 weeks wait.

I was told i had low ovarian reserves and only a 5% success rate and a 40% miscarriage rate because of my age.
I decided to give it a go and was determined to do whatever possible to increase my chance of pregnancy. I had about 3 weeks before the so-iui. I googled and read up on a lot of success stories from couples who had infertility issues.

3 weeks prior treatment,

I went to see a TCM doctor in Shanghai. Prof Zhao was highly recommended by a Shanghainese friend of mine.
After telling him about my condition- very small ovaries. i had a routine check and he told me i had Kidney yin deficiency, poor blood circulation and weak pulse. The following 3 weeks i had acupuncture sessions with needles and heat (to keep the uterus warm?) (2x/week) and a session of electrocution.
I also went for foot reflexology to improve my blood circulation. (3x/week)
Exercise- i reduced my frequency of exercise from 6x/wk to 4x/wk.

During IUI
Food- I read somewhere that red meat was good. As i only eat lamb, i had more lamb that week than i would in any one month. As the Chinese eat lots of lamb during winter to nourish themselves, i thought there must be some truth in it.
Ate lots of fish, chicken, shrimps and drank lots of warm water to improve my Yin energy.
Stopped drinking coffee and replaced it with green tea. (green tea improves fertility). No alcohol during the cycle.
Started drinking Chicken Essence. Chicken Essence was heaty and I kept getting stys in both eyes but i would do anything if it keeps my uterus warm and more importantly if it WORKS!

Exercise- i stopped going to the gym. Went for slow jogs instead.

During the 2ww
My diet was the same as during IUI.
Exercise- I stopped exercising completely. It was difficult not doing any form of exercise but i was ready to give up anything to make it work.

The rich diet and no exercise may not be healthy but i knew it was going to be only temporary. Someone reading this may think it is all rubbish but hey it worked for me.
And now I am back to my healthy ways- exercising moderately and eating wisely.

Baby dust to all trying!

sphyaw

hi all!
Those with queries on costs and cpf funding can go to moh website Ministry of Health: Home under marriage and parenthood and co-fund under restructured hospital for your answers. Hope this helps. I've extracted only the intro here:
Medisave for Assisted Conception Procedures
To help couples better afford the cost of treatment for Assisted Conception Procedures (ACP), you may withdraw $6,000, $5,000 and $4,000 from Medisave for the first, second and third treatment cycles respectively.

The use of Medisave for ACP is subject to a maximum of 3 treatment cycles. This is because ACP success rates fall sharply after the third cycle. Therefore, if Medisave were allowed for more treatment cycles, the individual may not have sufficient savings for future hospitalisation expenses, especially during old age.

For more information, please refer to the:
FAQs on Assisted Conception Procedures

rachelt

Hi all, it's so encouraging to read all these encouraging words from this thread. I'm oso TTC and have been informed to try IUI as my hubby's sperm count is low at 1%. Will be having gynae appt tmr to finalise our decision. So nervous now!

viv

Hi rachelt: How was the doc's appointment?

Was talking to a chinese physician and she mentioned that with sperms that are not so healthy (low sperm count), its rather difficult for IUI to be successful. Does anyone know how true this is? Am starting on my 3rd cycle sometime beginning of next mth and when i hear news like that, it gets very discouraging.

rachelt

Hi rachelt: How was the doc's appointment?

Was talking to a chinese physician and she mentioned that with sperms that are not so healthy (low sperm count), its rather difficult for IUI to be successful. Does anyone know how true this is? Am starting on my 3rd cycle sometime beginning of next mth and when i hear news like that, it gets very discouraging.
--------------------------------------
Hi @viv - I didnt go for the appt.. Am not so prepared.. Abit scared.. lol.. Oh.. did the physician says how we can actually help improve our hubby's sperm quality?.. I've read and did some research online.. seems like IUI chances very low.. I scared la..

Can any1 share if they're still able to go work after the procedure? I mean, work is so hectic, how long did u ladies rest before going back to work? My boss' very demanding and I'm afraid taking a couple of days leave to rest and be back at such a stressful environment will do more harm than good.. Sigh.. Confused..

viv

--------------------------------------
Hi @viv - I didnt go for the appt.. Am not so prepared.. Abit scared.. lol.. Oh.. did the physician says how we can actually help improve our hubby's sperm quality?.. I've read and did some research online.. seems like IUI chances very low.. I scared la..

Can any1 share if they're still able to go work after the procedure? I mean, work is so hectic, how long did u ladies rest before going back to work? My boss' very demanding and I'm afraid taking a couple of days leave to rest and be back at such a stressful environment will do more harm than good.. Sigh.. Confused..
Hi rachelt: well..for a start...hubby has this thing called varicocoele or something...its enlarged blood vessels that affects the quality of the sperm. Went to see a urologist and he suggested doing an op (key hole surgery) to clip the blood vessels but we opted for our 2nd option, which is IUI. Havent been to see the chinese doc but just spoke to her over the phone..will be going to her on Mon. Hopefully, there is something that can be done from the TCM aspect instead of having to go for the op.

For my 1st iui, i went back to work the next day. Was advised by the doc to go home n rest after the 'procedure' on the day and daily activities can resume the next day. However, for my 2nd try, i actually took 3 days off and rested and home...was lying down mostly.

rachelt

Hi rachelt: well..for a start...hubby has this thing called varicocoele or something...its enlarged blood vessels that affects the quality of the sperm. Went to see a urologist and he suggested doing an op (key hole surgery) to clip the blood vessels but we opted for our 2nd option, which is IUI. Havent been to see the chinese doc but just spoke to her over the phone..will be going to her on Mon. Hopefully, there is something that can be done from the TCM aspect instead of having to go for the op.

For my 1st iui, i went back to work the next day. Was advised by the doc to go home n rest after the 'procedure' on the day and daily activities can resume the next day. However, for my 2nd try, i actually took 3 days off and rested and home...was lying down mostly.
Hi viv: Please share with us on what TCM suggests after you've gone over ya?
Ya, I'm afraid I'll be too "weak" to do anything.. And being in a new coy doesnt help.. Dont know what's the coy's take on pregnant employees cos honestly, I dont see any preggies here.. Sigh.. Hubby & me talked abt it last night.. Think we might just go natural for now till after my confirmation or better if I'm able to find another job which is less stressful..

Oh, thought I'd share with you ladies too.. My hubby's 1st SA result was worse.. Motility at 1%.. Then he was prescribed with Vit E.. Apparently Vit E helps with blood circulation.. And we wanting to have a bb soon, decided on taking more supplements for him.. As got 3 other supplements from VRP and after 2 mths, his SA had improved.. Btr quality and all.. So I guess we can only continue the supplements and pray that things will improve.. We've also decided to get the clearblue fertility monitor to track my ovulation and try and pray for miracle..

viv

Hi rachelt: Best of luck! Will definetely share what tcm has to say. Am just hoping that the 3rd try will be IT! I just got confirmed too and the constant taking of mc and leave is not looking good but i guess at the end of the day, i think this is more important so i'll do what i can to help increase chances.

katsg

Hi viv: Please share with us on what traditional chinese medicine suggests after you've gone over ya?
Ya, I'm afraid I'll be too "weak" to do anything.. And being in a new coy doesnt help.. Dont know what's the coy's take on pregnant employees cos honestly, I dont see any preggies here.. Sigh.. Hubby & me talked about it last night.. Think we might just go natural for now till after my confirmation or better if I'm able to find another job which is less stressful..

Oh, thought I'd share with you ladies too.. My hubby's 1st SA result was worse.. Motility at 1%.. Then he was prescribed with Vit E.. Apparently Vit E helps with blood circulation.. And we wanting to have a baby soon, decided on taking more supplements for him.. As got 3 other supplements from VRP and after 2 mths, his SA had improved.. Btr quality and all.. So I guess we can only continue the supplements and pray that things will improve.. We've also decided to get the clearblue fertility monitor to track my ovulation and try and pray for miracle..
The sperms count under Motility includes 4 other components which are:
Active (fast swimmers)
Sluggish (slow swimmers)
Non-Progressive and (swim in opp direction)
Non-motile (not moving)

so the total percentage of the above will adds up to 100%

Besides Mortility, you also need to look at Morphology which is the shape of the sperms whether they are normal looking or abnormal. With a high motility rate but a 0% morphology also cannot as all the sperms are abnormal and is not able to fertilise the egg at all...what we need to look at is the active(fast swimmers) and sluggish(slow swimmers) percentage. If both of these adds up to 50% and the morphology for normal looking sperms is more than 4%, then the man is capable to fertilise the egg via natural conception...this is what I have learnt from my TCM so far so share the knowledge with you gals...:D

Last edited:

afoomi

2WW ended yesterday, and I was tested negative on a HPT. :eek:10: But I don't get any symptoms of menses yet, I thought I'll strike this time.

viv

Any good news from all of you?

Tried 2 rounds at our own, but not success :(
Hi Milo: Going to start round 3 very soon. Just went to see a chinese doc...according to her, its more advisable to for ivf but this should be done after taking some herbs and to 'tio' the body. Now i dont know if i should continue with round 3 of SO-IUI.

DreamBB

Hi,am new here. Just done my TCS today n feel clamp especially for my shoulders. Is it normal? I have been in this condition for a five hours already. I have to rest in bed, is there any ways to reduce the clamp effect? I have taken the menstrual painkiller before the TCS. Now I still feel the clamp .I have booked my scanning on this Thursday as am intend to go for IUI once the eggs are bigger. Can anyone give an advice whether I should go for IUI this Month or wait for next month?

serene78

My cllg told me Dr SF Loh. If choose Dr Loh, consider private rate, no subsidize.
Anyway, IVF @ KK will not more than 10k i think. It's better you call in and ask.
Hi milo,
Is it confirmed that if Dr Loh, no subsidies from govt? I wanna faint liao... cos I just started to see him and I thought there is subsidies since it is KKH.

viv

Hi milo,
Is it confirmed that if Dr Loh, no subsidies from govt? I wanna faint ... cos I just started to see him and I thought there is subsidies since it is Kandang Kerbau Hospital.
O No!! Hope that's not the case. Have booked an appointment to see Dr Loh in November.

Does anyone know how long i'll have to wait to do ivf after seeing the doc?