Please share your birth story

angelicbabies

Hi!

Congrats on having a baby! I'm a full time mommy too :)
My delivery was a natural one w no epidurals & my little girl came out in 4 hours.. So it was quite a smooth & easy delivery for me :) But the contraction pains were unforgettable!

zaclin29

Hi Ladies,

Time to share my water birth story. Will try to be as detailed as Ain.
I gave birth to my baby girl on 13 Aug @ 7.59am @ NUH.

12 Aug:
12pm - Woke up with menses cramp feeling. Felt so darn excited cos it was my due date and baby girl has cooperated so well! Went to the toilet and found brown discharge and I knew it's time already.

12.30pm- Told hubby to buy super spicy tom yam soup cos I want the contractions to kick in fast and I wanna deliver on 12 Aug! Haha.. So I had lunch and felt the contraction got more intense. Contraction was every 25 mins. (Pain score : 0/10)

4pm- Found that contraction is kicking in too slow. Contraction was every 15mins. Decided to go for a walk and went for groceries shopping at NTUC with hubby and we even went window shopping for abt 1.5hrs. LOL! (Pain score : 0/10)

6pm- I was abit too kan cheong, baby girl is not going to make it out by 12 Aug so I decided to walk up my block of 16 storeys. Walked up all the way and felt contractions got stronger the more I walked. Great!

7pm- Contraction every 10mins. Called the hospital and was told to stay at home until contraction is every 5mins or until the pain is unbearable or waterbag burst. Called my doula to standby. (Pain score : 1/10)

8pm- Contraction every 5mins. Bearable pain. Practice breathing technique at the same time and did labour exercises at home (squats and hip rotations) (Pain score : 2/10)

13 Aug:
2am- Contraction every 2mins. Called hospital that Im going down and to prepare the labour ward for me (cos Im having water birth). Didnt want to lie down or sit down cos the pain will get worst so was on all fours in the car so that I can move my hips freely. Haha. Went into the labour ward and the doc in duty checked and I was 3cm dilated. Was on CTG for 30mins then I was walking ard in the labour ward, used the birth ball and laughing gas to manage the pain (Pain score : 4/10)

3am- My doula arrived and helped me with the pain management by massaging my back. (Pain score : 5/10)

4.30am - Contractions was like every 30sec! I was so tired from the pains and physical activities. Asked the doula to check my cervix and was 5cm dilated. Got so irritated cos like so slow! So I inhaled the laughing gas 6 times at one shot! My doula had to snatch the mask away from me and told me not to inhale so much. I knocked out after that. Went in and out of sleep for the next 2hrs! I felt my waterbag burst ard 5.30am. (Pain score : 7/10)

6.30am- Suddenly my body went into pushing motion. I woke up. After 3 contractions, I confirmed that I was ready to push. Told the doula to check on my cervix again. Dilated 9cm. (Darn! I wanted to get into the water at 8cm!). Doula prepared the birthing tub. (Pain score: 9/10)

7am- Went into the birthing tub. Pain subsided and pain score went down to 5/10. Was relaxed but mentally told myself not to get too relax otherwise the contractions will go away.

7.30am- Body went into pushing motion again. Told my doula I was going to start pushing now. After pushing for abt 10 times, asked doula if baby was crowning already. She said not yet. I knew I was pushing wrongly. Got my head and body reorganised and started to push again. After 5 push, doula said she was crowning and told me to touch baby's head. I touched but couldnt make out that it was the head. haha. I knew I just need few more pushes and she will be out. She was halfway out and my doula told me to stop pushing. I was like WTH?? My V is like super stretched out now! I told her NO! I want to push her out now! So I pushed and she was out. Hubby grabbed hold of her and carry her out of the water and onto my chest. I hugged her and she cried. Then my gynae arrived. (Yeah, she was late!) Hubby, me, baby just sat there for 10mins. Then hubby cut her umbilical cord. I passed baby to hubby and got out of the water and walked to the bed to deliver the placenta and for stitching. I tear naturally and had 7 stitches.

While my gynae did the stitching, I breastfed my baby. She suckled for 45 mins on each breasts. Then her weight is taken and vitamin K is given. No cleaning up is done for her cos she was already very clean when she came out of the water.

Overall I had an amazing childbirth experience. Everything went smoothly as per my birth plan.
It was a totally drug-free birth that I have always dreamed of.
No epi, no drugs, no drips, no injections, no episotomy. It was an au naturel birth.

Last edited:

nlipeng

Wow.. That is one really detailed and interesting one... Where did you delivered yr baby? My contractions are already unbearable even with the 5-6mijs interval

zaclin29

Wow.. That is one really detailed and interesting one... Where did you delivered yr baby? My contractions are already unbearable even with the 5-6mijs interval
I delivered my bb at NUH...
I guess the labour exercises really help to reduce the pain..
It was still ok for me at 5-6mins interval.. it got worst at the 30sec interval only..
maybe cos i was too tired to do the hip rotations anymore.. :p

Last edited:

zaclin29

Hi All, at last! im able to share my own story :)

28 Aug 2012
7pm - waterbag burst followed by some bloody discharge. Felt the mensus-like cramp 10 mins later.
( pain score : 4 out of 10 )
7.30pm - reached hospital, dr checked and confirm the membrane has ruptured and dilated to 3cm.
10pm - the official time being admitted to hospital.

29 Aug 2012
2am - the contractions were becoming more intense; 10mins apart (i was bleeding throughout the contractions).
( pain score: 5 out of 10 )
2.30am - get the dr to check and i was 4.5cm dilated.
3.15am - was sent to labour ward.
7am - i was bleeding on every single contraction, dr found out that the waterbag was not fully ruptured. I was still 4.5cm but the pain became more and more intensed after the dr stretched my cervix to 5cm. ( pain score : 6.5 out of 10 )
7.30am-10am - still dilated to 5 cm but the contractions were at the peak; 2 mins apart and lasting about 1min+ - i thought i was dying, the pain was too intensed that using the laughing was no use. Bleeding more and more. 4 drs suggested me to take epidural by looking at my condition because they were saying that my labor would be very long especially seeing at the contractions tracker the rates were very high. Since i chose to have natural, i rejected.
( pain score : 8 out of 10 )
10.20am - the contractions pain become more and more unbearable, i was not able to control myself, felt like the worse cramp ever + pressure ( baby's head pushing against the birth canal ) + back pain.
( pain score : 10 out of 10)
1030am - again the dr suggested for epi, since i was still dilated to 5cm, my husband did encourage me to take by looking at my condition. Epi was given, the jab was quite uncomfortable (felt pressure on the spine and some lightning sensation at the legs), i was jabbed 3 times until they found the right position.
My bottom half body felt numb but i was still able to lift up my legs. Body was shivering for 30mins(the effect).
( pain score : 0 )
1045am - i was dilated to 9.5cm already, the epi helped to speed up the progress since it will make you feel more relaxed and less tensed.
2pm - epi was cut off since i was already dilated fully and they need me to feel the pain to start pushing.
2.30pm - began to push; the feeling was like pushing out a watermelon, i was really pushing hard, and yes it was painful, episiotomy was performed and i did tear naturally but i would say contractions were much painful. Pushing was more like a burning sensation as well as the cut and tear. You were too stretched that you would feel numb down there.
( pain score : 7.5 out of 10 )
2.49pm - my baby boy Danish Aqeel(meaning : wise & intelligent) was born at a healthy weight of 3.460kg :) . Delivering of placenta was done followed by stitching on my cut and tear which took about 20 mins. You could feel some stinging during the poking of the needle but was not painful especially when the baby was hand over to you. :)

- End -
Congrats Ain! hope u r enjoying motherhood now!

Ain1707

Hi Zaclin29! Has been waiting for your news actually. Congrats to u too!! Hows your baby doing so far?? :D

zaclin29

hi ain...
baby so far so good,...
except for the usual crankiness but still manageable..
been bz since she was borned, thats why no time to post here.. haha..
how abt u n baby? hope u both are doing fine...

Jojoai

Hi Ladies,

Time to share my water birth story. Will try to be as detailed as Ain.
I gave birth to my baby girl on 13 Aug @ 7.59am @ NUH.

12 Aug:
12pm - Woke up with menses cramp feeling. Felt so darn excited cos it was my due date and baby girl has cooperated so well! Went to the toilet and found brown discharge and I knew it's time already.

12.30pm- Told hubby to buy super spicy tom yam soup cos I want the contractions to kick in fast and I wanna deliver on 12 Aug! Haha.. So I had lunch and felt the contraction got more intense. Contraction was every 25 mins. (Pain score : 0/10)

4pm- Found that contraction is kicking in too slow. Contraction was every 15mins. Decided to go for a walk and went for groceries shopping at NTUC with hubby and we even went window shopping for abt 1.5hrs. LOL! (Pain score : 0/10)

6pm- I was abit too kan cheong, baby girl is not going to make it out by 12 Aug so I decided to walk up my block of 16 storeys. Walked up all the way and felt contractions got stronger the more I walked. Great!

7pm- Contraction every 10mins. Called the hospital and was told to stay at home until contraction is every 5mins or until the pain is unbearable or waterbag burst. Called my doula to standby. (Pain score : 1/10)

8pm- Contraction every 5mins. Bearable pain. Practice breathing technique at the same time and did labour exercises at home (squats and hip rotations) (Pain score : 2/10)

13 Aug:
2am- Contraction every 2mins. Called hospital that Im going down and to prepare the labour ward for me (cos Im having water birth). Didnt want to lie down or sit down cos the pain will get worst so was on all fours in the car so that I can move my hips freely. Haha. Went into the labour ward and the doc in duty checked and I was 3cm dilated. Was on CTG for 30mins then I was walking ard in the labour ward, used the birth ball and laughing gas to manage the pain (Pain score : 4/10)

3am- My doula arrived and helped me with the pain management by massaging my back. (Pain score : 5/10)

4.30am - Contractions was like every 30sec! I was so tired from the pains and physical activities. Asked the doula to check my cervix and was 5cm dilated. Got so irritated cos like so slow! So I inhaled the laughing gas 6 times at one shot! My doula had to snatch the mask away from me and told me not to inhale so much. I knocked out after that. Went in and out of sleep for the next 2hrs! I felt my waterbag burst ard 5.30am. (Pain score : 7/10)

6.30am- Suddenly my body went into pushing motion. I woke up. After 3 contractions, I confirmed that I was ready to push. Told the doula to check on my cervix again. Dilated 9cm. (Darn! I wanted to get into the water at 8cm!). Doula prepared the birthing tub. (Pain score: 9/10)

7am- Went into the birthing tub. Pain subsided and pain score went down to 5/10. Was relaxed but mentally told myself not to get too relax otherwise the contractions will go away.

7.30am- Body went into pushing motion again. Told my doula I was going to start pushing now. After pushing for abt 10 times, asked doula if baby was crowning already. She said not yet. I knew I was pushing wrongly. Got my head and body reorganised and started to push again. After 5 push, doula said she was crowning and told me to touch baby's head. I touched but couldnt make out that it was the head. haha. I knew I just need few more pushes and she will be out. She was halfway out and my doula told me to stop pushing. I was like WTH?? My V is like super stretched out now! I told her NO! I want to push her out now! So I pushed and she was out. Hubby grabbed hold of her and carry her out of the water and onto my chest. I hugged her and she cried. Then my gynae arrived. (Yeah, she was late!) Hubby, me, baby just sat there for 10mins. Then hubby cut her umbilical cord. I passed baby to hubby and got out of the water and walked to the bed to deliver the placenta and for stitching. I tear naturally and had 7 stitches.

While my gynae did the stitching, I breastfed my baby. She suckled for 45 mins on each breasts. Then her weight is taken and vitamin K is given. No cleaning up is done for her cos she was already very clean when she came out of the water.

Overall I had an amazing childbirth experience. Everything went smoothly as per my birth plan.
It was a totally drug-free birth that I have always dreamed of.
No epi, no drugs, no drips, no injections, no episotomy. It was an au naturel birth.
Congrats ! :) not many people can do that now. May I know what is labour exercise ?

Ain1707

Jojoai, for mine, SGH did the application. You will just need to provide the necessary documents and submit to them.

Ain1707

Guys, need to ask some questions on episiotomy stitches.

- how long does it takes to heal?
- how to know if the stitches are broken?
- how long does the stitches get fully dissolved?

Last edited:

zaclin29

Congrats ! :) not many people can do that now. May I know what is labour exercise ?
Hi!

Here are the labour exercises that u can do to manage ur contractions.

These exercises will help to prepare your body for labour. Start slowly with each exercise, and work at your own pace.

Pelvic floor exercises
The pelvic floor muscles form a broad sling between your legs from the pubic bone in front to the base of your spine at the back. They help to hold your bladder, uterus (womb) and bowel in place.

Good pelvic floor muscles can support the growing weight of your baby, may help shorten the second stage of labourand, by increasing your circulation, may help heal the perineum (the area between your anus and vagina) after birth. Here's how to do it:
  • Imagine trying to stop passing wind and hold your flow of urine mid-stream, at the same time. The feeling is one of squeeze and lift, pulling up and in around your front and back passages.
  • Do the squeeze and lift without pulling in your tummy or holding your breath, and hold for 10 seconds. Try to breathe out as you tighten your muscles.
  • Once you have got to grips with the technique, you can speed up the pull-ups. Do three or four sets, three times a day.
You can do these exercises anywhere, and it's a good idea to build them into your daily routine.

Pelvic tilt
This exercise is also known as humping and hollowing. It's done on all fours, strengthens your tummy muscles and eases back pain during pregnancy and labour. It may also help your baby get into a good position for birth.
  • Get down on your hands and knees, arms shoulder-width apart and knees hip-width apart, keeping your arms straight, but not locking the elbows.
  • As you breathe in, tighten your tummy muscles, tuck your buttocks under and round your back.
  • Relax your back into a neutral position as you breathe out. Repeat, but this time arching your back and sticking out your tailbone (coccyx).
  • Repeat at your own pace, following the rhythm of your breath.

Squat

Squatting is a natural labouring position, and this exercise is a great way to prepare for giving birth. It strengthens your thighs and helps open your pelvis.
  • Stand facing the back of a chair with your feet slightly more than hip-width apart, toes pointed outward. Hold the back of the chair for support.
  • Tighten your tummy muscles, lift your chest, and relax your shoulders. Then lower your tailbone (coccyx) towards the floor as though you were sitting down on a chair. Try to keep your back straight or in a slightly arched position as you do this. Find your balance - most of your weight should be towards your heels.
  • Take a deep breath in and then exhale, pushing into your legs to rise to a standing position.

Tailor or cobbler pose

This position can help open your pelvis and loosen your hip joints ready for labour. It can also improve your posture and ease tension in your lower back.
  • Sit up straight against a wall, with your back slightly arched and with the soles of your feet touching each other (sit on a folded towel if that's more comfortable for you).
  • Gently press your knees down and away from each other, but don't force them.
  • Stay in this position for as long as you're comfortable.

zaclin29

Guys, need to ask some questions on episiotomy stitches.

- how long does it takes to heal?
- how to know if the stitches are broken?
- how long does the stitches get fully dissolved?

Hi Ain,

Mine took abt 2wks to heal ie. no pressure feeling or feeling uncomfortable down there..
U wont know if stitches are dissolved already.. I actually looked down there with a mirror and couldnt figure out if the stitches are gone or not.. haha..
However when i went for my gynae appt 2 wks later, it is already fully dissolved...

Ain1707

Yes, today is my 2nd day. Hmm quite painful but not compared to labor :p but she's good with 20 years of experience. :)

zaclin29

Yes the stinging sensation is normal..
Enjoy yr massage & make sure u keep the binder on for whole day or at least 10hrs to get rid of the flabby tummy!