Stress over work life balance when I have a immature boss

Jacqui

:embarrassed:Our child was ill she was down with lung infection, cough, fever and flu, she was coughing so bad that she voimmted in her bed .My husband stood by her the whole night , comforting our child . we brought her to our family doctor .My husband was given one day child meidcal leave but he said he needed to get back for work in evening. He returned this morning. The fever came off and on my child is still on antibotics.I requested for child medical leave from clinic, I keep my boss known and he called. He said my husband had just left the workplace and demanded I returned to work. I explaint to him that why I can’t return, he did not accept it and scolded me, shouted on phone to return to work. He had lost control on phone when I refused. The boss became lunatic and speak ill of us at work ;I got to know through colleagues from other department. he created chaos at work and became crazy asking for my husband to return . Overall, he became uncontrollable boss snapping behind my back and told me husband either he or me to return to work when my husband explaint camly to him the situation we facing -our sick child , he simply put it off as OUR FAMILY PROBLEM , in short he left us a choice with either my husband continue to work for another ten hours or me to return to work immediately ! My husband left witn no complaint butI disagreed ;he had not been resting after long night hours on call !!!!!! what’s moreBefore that evening he left for work he even help me to take care our sick child. I left with no choice so this issue was brought up to my Superior , thanks god, he understood what we going through and helped us to talk to lunatic boss.

Phoebii Cheng

Hi Jacqui,

I also faced with the same situation before.....my boss was ranting at me when I took leave....

Don't know what were they thinking......

Is your boss married? My boss is married and he has a daughter, but I guess he forgets that he can afford to leave his sick child at home cos' he got a maid to help him take care, for us we don't have a maid or someone to help us care for our child.....

zaheerMaMa

Sorry to say this, but your boss is really inhumane! Is not easy being working parents and yet got to face with this type of boss.:nah:
In the meantime please take care and hope your child recovers fast :eek:

Gem2505

haiz. i guess this kind of inhuman bosses are everywhere. I have 1 useless boss here. he say all staff should not take MC TOO OFTEN. usually i take 1 day Mc in a month. now, becoz of MS, i took 3 days this month. But whats wrong with that? MC is certified by the DOCTOR, not written by me. ITS an Entitlement to ALL staff and i see nothing wrong in that.

he said he nv take MC all that. but he came to work SICK! end up, SPEAD the germs to me! wth! end up, i got sick lor. MC the nx day aft he spread to me. -_-" so i told him, ITS PERSONAL responsibility that when we are sick, we should not report to work coz we might be spreading the germs to others!

thats still not the worst yet. HE IS a useless boss that KNOW NUTz about how to run the department. He was a MANAGEr here becoz the previous department he was in, kicked him out coz they didnt want him. But in the government line, they cant sack anyone anyhow. so at that time, my department manager was being asked to go.. then when there's a hole, they just fill it up with anything. he knew NOTHING about this department job. its worst than a Fresh grad starting a new job. coz both department have got no links and he did not study anything that was related to my department. I am having a hard time talking to him and explaining things again n again to him coz he simply dont understand. =_= haiz. he's incapable but can still stay at this dept for 2 years ald. dont understand why.

he dont even dare to make small decisions. not even a simple approval on invoices. he will only sign after i sign. meaning, if anything goes wrong, i die first also lar. other department admin staff can scold him in public and yet he stand there and let them scold. WTH!!! goodness me! im tolerating this nonsense until i go for my maternity. after my maternity, i will resign. =X

angelwendy

Last time my boss also like that... i mean my EX Boss... when staff wanna take urgent leave because their baby is very sick.. she will speak ill to other staff saying alot of bad bad things... then when my ex boss DD is sick... she will be very worried & keep telling us about how bad her DD feels... :err: Sometime i feel she is a bit inbalance lah... makes me feel that her DD is important... then other people baby not important at all, because is not her biz... Zzzz

shopaholic

This type of company is not worth you working for.
I agree. I gathered both your husband and yourself are working in the same company. I suggest start looking elsewhere. I doubt you can expect that "lunatic" become understanding overnight or even in near future. Unless there's a possibility to work under another boss?

Anyway, I believe there are many bosses out there who are understanding and reasonable. That boss of yours has not seen the world enough. Staff like your husband, who is willing to return to work even on child care leave, are hard to come by. That boss shd be appreciative instead!

hi i too have a bad experience in my previous job. For my whole 8 months..she can see with her own eyes im pregnant. And for the last month when I'm about to go on maternity leave, she ask me who's going to cover my work..siao. Then when im back from maternity, she give me a hard time...so stress that i think i have a bit of depression. She is a mother of 2, yet she is so heartless. i work like 12 to 13 hours a day, till my baby son don't want me to carry him. In the end, i quit. i never regret, as is not worth working for heartless boss, they always think we "enjoyed" the 4 months maternity. but i can say raising a baby during maternity is not what they think of "enjoyment/gain". i don't owe her my life, so why should i get all the crap from them. i have found a new job with work life balance, & im happy with it. I encourage all mothers not to give in to nasty boss. Think what goes around comes around.

Gem2505

hi i too have a bad experience in my previous job. For my whole 8 months..she can see with her own eyes im pregnant. And for the last month when I'm about to go on maternity leave, she ask me who's going to cover my work..crazy. Then when im back from maternity, she give me a hard time...so stress that i think i have a bit of depression. She is a mother of 2, yet she is so heartless. i work like 12 to 13 hours a day, till my baby son dont't want me to carry him. In the end, i quit. i never regret, as is not worth working for heartless boss, they always think we "enjoyed" the 4 months maternity. but i can say raising a baby during maternity is not what they think of "enjoyment/gain". i dont't owe her my life, so why should i get all the crap from them. i have found a new job with work life balance, & im happy with it. I encourage all mothers not to give in to nasty boss. Think what goes around comes around.
hmm.. how many months did u worked after your maternity then you quit?
is there any clause or MOM law that states after maternity, we must complete how many months den can resign?
coz i got the intention to tolerate till im back aft maternity den i quit st away. but i cant seem to find any law under the MOM or my company's handbook. i worked in the hospital coz staff benefits for hospitalization is v good. so wanna get all the benefits then leave =x

hmm.. how many months did you worked after your maternity then you quit?
is there any clause or MOM law that states after maternity, we must complete how many months then can resign?
coz i got the intention to tolerate till im back after maternity then i quit st away. but i cant seem to find any law under the MOM or my company's handbook. i worked in the hospital coz staff benefits for hospitalization is very good. so wanna get all the benefits then leave =x
I work for 6 months...till i buay tahan. so i quit. i utilise all my leave..and gotten my bonus before i leave.

meiteoh

I don't think there is such a thing as a maternity bond with a company, eg you go for a maternity, then must work for a XX no of months before you quit. First time hearing it, to be honest.

Gem2505

I dont't think there is such a thing as a maternity bond with a company, eg you go for a maternity, then must work for a XX no of months before you quit. First time hearing it, to be honest.
so far i nv heard b4 if there's such thing. coz first time preg. so not v sure if there's such thing anot. ha! but hopefully there isnt any such bond. else i dunno how to escape ald.

stonston

hmm.. how many months did you worked after your maternity then you quit?
is there any clause or MOM law that states after maternity, we must complete how many months then can resign?
coz i got the intention to tolerate till im back after maternity then i quit st away. but i cant seem to find any law under the MOM or my company's handbook. i worked in the hospital coz staff benefits for hospitalization is very good. so wanna get all the benefits then leave =x
Must give 1 month's notice (or according to your employment contract).
But mostly cannot serve notice during maternity leave period.
Which means if you intend to quit straightaway, you either gotta go back for 1 month to work (serve notice) or pay them 1 month's pay.

Gem2505

Must give 1 month's notice (or according to your employment contract).
But mostly cannot serve notice during maternity leave period.
Which means if you intend to quit straightaway, you either gotta go back for 1 month to work (serve notice) or pay them 1 month's pay.
yea. mine is 1 month notice.. hmm.. think i claim all my 4months maternity ald, den go back give letter.. serve 1 month notice lo. but deduct my leave.. till then, will have 6day child care leave + 21 days annual leave =27 days... can say 1 month le lor or should be more than 1 month ald.. coz 5 working days.. they still owe me 7days pay.. =X oops. i sound damn bad. but with such lousy n inhuman boss, i shall not pity him.

yea. mine is 1 month notice.. hmm.. think i claim all my 4months maternity ald, then go back give letter.. serve 1 month notice . but deduct my leave.. till then, will have 6day child care leave + 21 days annual leave =27 days... can say 1 month or should be more than 1 month ald.. coz 5 working days.. they still owe me 7days pay.. =X oops. i sound damn bad. but with such lousy n inhuman boss, i shall not pity him.
Ya man never pity inhuman boss. Oh...some company does not allow u to take leave/encash when u serving notice...u better check, to avoid being forfeited. and if u never work the full year, your leave is just prorated to the number of months work. think child care leave also.

hmm...is child care prorated too?...this one i not too sure.

Gem2505

Ya man never pity inhuman boss. Oh...some company does not allow you to take leave/encash when you serving notice...you better check, to avoid being forfeited. and if you never work the full year, your leave is just prorated to the number of months work. think child care leave also.

hmm...is child care prorated too?...this one i not too sure.
oh ya. u reminded me on the pro-rated leave. think child care leave not pro-rated de. yeap. will check everything before i go for maternity next year. =)
thanks!

vanillabaileys

Yeah, I agree that there are all kinds of bosses around. I can't stand mine too. I'm coming to my 3rd trimester next week. During my 2nd trimester, my gynae told me that my amniotic fluid is on the low side and advice me to have lots of bed rest and don't walk too much. ( I'm holding on to a sales job btw) Also, during my 4th or 5th month, my legs already start to swell. My gynae said that it's too early to swell during that stage and was very concerned about it. Even my friends around me will tell me that they can see my legs are quite swollen.
So I told my immediate manager that what kind of issues I'm facing during that time. (low amniotic fluid and edema prob) Because she is also a mummy herself, I thought that she should be a little bit more understanding towards me. Maybe propose work from home or whatever.. But her reply was :"I don't see that your legs are swollen, and when i was preggy last time, I walked as much, maybe even more than you do"
After hearing that, I felt a bit stupid. Like I should't even have told her my problems. Maybe it's true. She might even asked me so what do i intend to do etc etc.
I took only like 3 days mc in 6mths time, company also felt that it's too much. And even hinted during meeting that MC rates are going up. To me, if the doctor feels that we should rest, means we should rest. After all, I worked so hard for you, but inthe end, company also won't appreciate it.
I would agree that there's no point in trying to go against your bosses at this point of time since already tahan so long! Just another 2 mths plus, I can go off for maternity leave.
But I feel that bosses shouldn't dictate how early or how long we go for our maternity leave. (My manager did. She asked me not to clear 1 shot 4 months) Although it's a mutual agreement for both sides like maybe we take 2 mths first and clear 2 mths later etc etc, the 4 mths leave is still up to us to decide isn't it?
Anyway, shitty company usually is not worth our effort to be upset or angry about. Just rant about it and plan early. Hahaha.. For me, I intend to look for another job during my maternity, go back serve 1 mth and that's it. :)

Baby is more important than anything else. :Dancing_tongue:

Gem2505

Yeah, I agree that there are all kinds of bosses around. I can't stand mine too. I'm coming to my 3rd trimester next week. During my 2nd trimester, my gynae told me that my amniotic fluid is on the low side and advice me to have lots of bed rest and dont't walk too much. ( I'm holding on to a sales job btw) Also, during my 4th or 5th month, my legs already start to swell. My gynae said that it's too early to swell during that stage and was very concerned about it. Even my friends around me will tell me that they can see my legs are quite swollen.
So I told my immediate manager that what kind of issues I'm facing during that time. (low amniotic fluid and edema prob) Because she is also a mummy herself, I thought that she should be a little bit more understanding towards me. Maybe propose work from home or whatever.. But her reply was :"I dont't see that your legs are swollen, and when i was preggy last time, I walked as much, maybe even more than you do"
After hearing that, I felt a bit stupid. Like I should't even have told her my problems. Maybe it's true. She might even asked me so what do i intend to do etc etc.
I took only like 3 days mc in 6mths time, company also felt that it's too much. And even hinted during meeting that MC rates are going up. To me, if the doctor feels that we should rest, means we should rest. After all, I worked so hard for you, but inthe end, company also won't appreciate it.
I would agree that there's no point in trying to go against your bosses at this point of time since already tahan so long! Just another 2 mths plus, I can go off for maternity leave.
But I feel that bosses shouldn't dictate how early or how long we go for our maternity leave. (My manager did. She asked me not to clear 1 shot 4 months) Although it's a mutual agreement for both sides like maybe we take 2 mths first and clear 2 mths later etc etc, the 4 mths leave is still up to us to decide isn't it?
Anyway, shitty company usually is not worth our effort to be upset or angry about. Just rant about it and plan early. Hahaha.. For me, I intend to look for another job during my maternity, go back serve 1 month and that's it. :)

Baby is more important than anything else. :Dancing_tongue:
haiz. there bound to have such crazy bosses around. we are all in the same boat. but at least you just have another 2 months to endure. i still have 6 more months to endure. goodness. i dont even dare to think far.

most importantly, if you have the intention to leave after your maternity, do clear all 4 months at 1 shot. becoz you cant offset your 1 month notice with your maternity leave and it will be taken away totally. so not to be on the losing end, just clear all your ML first den serve notice. use your annual leave and child care leave during the 1 month notice period ( pro-rated AL ).. if you need, clear some MCs too. =X use MC days to go for interview also not bad. such bosses do not appreciate, so we have to do otherwise.

all de best!

vanillabaileys

sigh. there bound to have such crazy bosses around. we are all in the same boat. but at least you just have another 2 months to endure. i still have 6 more months to endure. goodness. i dont even dare to think far.

most importantly, if you have the intention to leave after your maternity, do clear all 4 months at 1 shot. becoz you cant offset your 1 month notice with your maternity leave and it will be taken away totally. so not to be on the losing end, just clear all your ML first then serve notice. use your annual leave and child care leave during the 1 month notice period ( pro-rated AL ).. if you need, clear some MCs too. =X use MC days to go for interview also not bad. such bosses do not appreciate, so we have to do otherwise.

all best!
I totally agree man. I was thinking this morning should I just clear one shot 4 mths. Cos bo hua and let the company eat my ML if I don't do that. ANyway, in the first place if they are so not pro family, I think I don't need to think so much for them too.

You too! 6 mths very fast. When I first knew I was preggy, that was in Feb, Now August liao! JIayou!:Dancing_tongue: