To answer all the PMs (about STON..supplements, boosting my boy's immune system, etc)

stonston

I've been receiving many PMs and emails asking me about the supplements I give my boy to help boost his immune system and the products I've been using for him, education, etc etc.

This thread will allow me to answer everyone so that my PM box will not explode :)

1. Where do you buy all the organic and natural stuff?
- Supplements/Toothpaste/Shampoo/Bodywash/Snacks: www.iherb.com (Use YAF688 for US$5 discount.)
This website is reliable. I've been purchasing from them since JAN 2007. Loyal customer due to their reliability and efficiency. They direct ship to SG through normal mail (for light items) or DHL. DHL has been very flexi with delivery timings, even had a special delivery to me at midnight before cause I requested for them to send it to me immediately.
EXPIRY DATES for products all clearly listed on the website. Great for those who like to stock up (like me).

- Organic food: NTUC, Brown Rice Paradise (Tanglin Mall)

- Occasionally: Vitakids (Paragon) -> They have the same things as iHerb. Sometimes too urgent and iHerb needs at least 3-5 workings days, so I will buy from Vitakids first. Price is 30-50% higher than buying from iHerb (include shipping charges).

2. Why is your boy so strong? I read that he seldom falls ill.
- I breastfed him for 18months. 12 month of direct latch on plus EBM, 6 months of frozen EBM. I recommend breastfeeding if you are able to produce :) However, if you are not able to produce, dont't get upset, there are alternatives :) Read on :)

- After I stopped BF, I started him on COLOSTRUM
Symbiotics, Colostrum Plus Powder, 1 lb 5 oz - iHerb.com
(I buy the large pack cos the whole family is on it, including my maid. They have pills for the adults who may not like the milky taste: Symbiotics, Colostrum Plus Capsules, 240 Capsules - iHerb.com
We also seldom fall sick. Even if we do, we recover very quickly :))

- When he shows sign of runny nose, itchy throat, cough, etc. I immediately give him SAMBUCOL/SAMBUCUS. It is a herbal remedy that's good for viral infections. I do not give daily because it's rather strong. There are a few different brands. The one I give is NATURE'S WAY (Nature's Way, Sambucus for Kids, Berry Flavored, 8 fl oz (240 ml) - iHerb.com). It contains POLLEN, which is not recommended for young children as some might be allergic.
Another brand which is also sambucol but no pollen added: Sambucol, Black Elderberry Immune System Support Liquid, For Kids, Berry Flavored, 4 fl oz (120 ml) - iHerb.com
This was very effective when my boy had HFMD. His symptoms were super mild and he ate, played and misbehaved as usual. Usually kids will suffer alot during HFMD with ulcers in the mouth/throat, unable to eat, unable to rest well, etc. My boy was a perfect monkey, other than the red spots and 2 small ulcers in his mouth. Many of my friends who tried it on their kids when they had HFMD also reported good improvement and lesser 'suffering' on their kids.
NOTE: SAMBUCOL/SAMBUCUS is only suitable for kids above 2 years old (although I did give to my boy when he was around 22 months old).

- Probiotics
We've all heard about Vitagen & Yakult being great for kids cos the probiotics. I agree. Probiotics are fantastic, but not Vitagen & Yakult with the flavouring & sugar! Those who know me will know how 'anal' I am about seasonings, sugar and sweet foods for my boy :)
I used to give this: Childlife, Colostrum with Probiotics, Orange/Pineapple Flavor, 50 g Powder (1.7 oz) - iHerb.com
(FYI: GNC is selling this exact same product for $69.90, even with their massive member discounts, you can't match the price you get from iHerb!)
It has colostrum & probiotics together. Nice flavour, my boy likes it when it's added to his milk. However, it is rather tough on the pocket compared to buying probiotics & colostrum seperately.
So, I'm giving this: Source Naturals, Acidophilus Powder, Freeze-Stabilized, 2 oz (56.7 g) - iHerb.com
Why choose stabilized probiotics? They can survive heat and shipping better compared to unstabilized probiotics.

3. Why are you so strict about his food?
- Healthy habits start from young.
My boy was not exposed to any form of seasoning until he tasted adult food at 2.5yo. And adult food for him is a rare treat (when we dine out).
He does not like sweet or salty foods now. Mac fries, without salt pls. Give him a sweet, he'll give it back to me. Jelly, only unsweetened ones. Potato chips, he'll use a tissue to wipe off the seasoning.
We dont't have to delibrately control his 'junk food' intake now that he's old enough to express what he likes & wants.

- I was not given vege regularly when I was young, so end up growing up to dislike vege. I dont't want the same thing to happen to my boy. So we encourage him to take vege. He loves crunchy vege, so we give him long beans, french beans, cucumber, etc.

- Healthy diet = healthy child :)
Less oil, no sugar, no salt.
Before he was 2.5yo, all his 'junk food' like chips and fries are HOME MADE. Slice up the potatoes, pat them dry, bake in oven :)
Snacks = raisins, dried cranberries (also from iHerb: Eden Foods, Organic Dried Cranberries, 4 oz (113 g) - iHerb.com), dried apricots, etc. I have a food dehydrator at home to dry fruits on our own too :) When he was younger, we puree fruits to make fruit rolls which I cut into small squares to give him as 'sweets'. It's like rewards for him when he finishes his meals :)

- Healthy snacks?
My boy eats organic cereals or those adult cereals (low sugar/salt).
Or plain cornflakes with fruits. Yum Yum!

For parents who do not mind giving their kids sweets, here's something to make you feel better :) ORGANIC LOLLIPOPS! Made from natural fruit juices! Search - organic lollipop - iHerb.com
I buy these for my students & they love them. Some flavours have a natural sourness to them and my students keep wanting more!
Guardian/Watsons do sell them, but the price is much higher!
They also have candy drops (sweets with the stick).

4. I get compliments that my boy is a fast learner. (Thank you very much)
How did you teach your boy?
- Is it inherited? Or nurtured?
I really dont't know. All I know is that I do my best as a parent.

When I was pregnant/breastfeeding, I took alot of fish and fish oils. Research has shown that increased DHA does help to increase mental capabilities.
So, I'm a kiasu mother, loaded up on those.

My recommendation: New Chapter, Wholemega Prenatal, 500 mg, 90 Softgels - iHerb.com
It is from 100% WILD Alaskan Salmon.
WILD fishes have lower toxins like mercury or other heavy metals. So you need not worry about indirectly taking in toxins which might harm your baby.
This is good for preggie & BF mummies.

Well, I'm not breastfeeding anymore, but I still keep up this kiasu regime.
This is what I give my boy now: Nordic Naturals, Arctic Cod Liver Oil, Orange Flavor, 16 fl oz (473 ml) - iHerb.com
They have other flavours, but my boy loves the orange flavoured one.
Used to give: Childlife, Cod Liver Oil, Strawberry Flavor, 8 fl oz (237 ml) - iHerb.com
But he did not like strawberry flavour.

Again, being extremely kiasu, I did not leave it up to 'nature'. We sent him for numerous classes, taught him at home and carefully selected his kindy. Teaching him at home is really fun. Exposure to wide range of vocab, encouraging him to speak up, creating games to play with him, etc etc.
Even if you have a tight budget, the key is EXPOSURE. Bring them to the park to learn about insects, plants and small animals that live there. It's free (probably pay for transport if the park is not near your place). Bring them to the supermarket to learn about fruits, vegetables, objects, etc etc. Supermarkets are the best place to learn the names of different items. It's FREE plus the kids get to TOUCH the items :p

Plus, I bought alot of educational CDs (VCDs, CD Rom) for him. When my maid is busy and has to cook/do housework, she will turn on for him to watch. Now, he has learnt to turn on the TV & DVD player himself. He will choose his own disks and play them to watch.

5. Your boy also has sensitive skin (ezcema), what do you do about it?
- Organic skin care
His shampoo: Jason Natural, Kids Only!, Extra Gentle Shampoo, 17.5 fl oz (517 ml) - iHerb.com
This smells so great. My sweaty boy can still smell so sweet & yummy that I wanna eat him! wakakakak! Grape smell :)
His bodywash: Nature's Baby Organics, Shampoo & Body Wash, Lavender Chamomile, 16 fl oz (473 ml) - iHerb.com -> This is for the night bath cos the lavender and chamomile helps him to 'wind down' & relax to get ready for bed :)
Rainbow Research, Baby Oh Baby, Organic Herbal Body Wash, 8 fl oz - iHerb.com -> this is for his morning/afternoon shower.
Contains lemongrass (which my mum's friend says is good for the skin, esp skin probs).

- Moisturise 3 times a day
He's using a lotion recommended by the doctor at NSC. Physiogel lotion.
Usually stock up when they have the twin pack promo.
Previously tried

He's no longer on follow up with the NSC doctor because there has not been any flare ups for the past 1yr plus :)

- Diaper rash
Due to his ezcema, he had very bad diaper rash :(
We used Drapolene (no help at all), Desitin Creamy (hard to wash) and Pureen diaper cream (not too bad). But then we found CANUS GOAT'S MILK DIAPER RASH CREAM (bought from Amazon.com). It's superb!
Cleared up his diaper rash, then subsequently, no more diaper rash! And it's cheap. 1 tub is S$25 (include shipping). That 1st tub, is still in use today :p Last us for 3yr+. I have some extras from the recent BP I organised for my cousins & friends (I have to check again). Email me if you are interested (mrswong.tuition@gmail.com).

I think there are a few more emails which I have not had a chance to read yet. I will try to reply them ASAP either through email or here. :)

stonston

Re: To answer all the PMs (about STON..supplements, boosting my boy's immune system,

BTW, for those who PMed me about which school my boy is in, I'm sorry but my husband wants to keep it confidential as it is a safety issue (we nvr know who is in the forum and may use such information to 'kidnap' my boy).

Also, if you are keen to get something on iHerb but don't have credit card, email me your order and we can combine orders. I normally order stuff from there around once a month :)

annie

Re: To answer all the PMs (about STON..supplements, boosting my boy's immune system,

sorry to hop onto your thread hehe. ive recently discovered iherb too and have also bought natures baby organics products from them to try. too bad they dun sell canus. my girl is also using canus now. she is using the canus li'l goat milk shampoo and bodywash and im using the body lotion hehe. this brand is really good but i dun quite like the smell though. i bought from drugstore.com

P/s: u seem to buy most of your things from iherb! they are really great arent they? hee

Last edited:

stonston

Yes they are great!
Convenient too :)

drugstore is more exp for Canus than Amazon. Cos amazon got the bundles :)

annie

really?? i go see! drugstore.com's shipping also very ex.. if order from amazon, they deliver directly to u? but so, will shipping be expensive?

stonston

Amazon has direct shipping, sometimes got very good promo also.
Usually I go through 3rd party shipping forwarder.

annie

i tried buying books from them before but the shipping is too ex so i gave up.. maybe i should try to check how much it will cost if i order only canus items. i suppose it wont be cheap. so far only iherb's shipping is reasonable..

angelwendy

Stonston... i wanna to ask u... the Colostrum is in powder form?? & also can my boy mix in his milk?? he is now 3 months 2 weeks old.... can take anot?? & also the website u give i go see already.. is the price in SG? or USD?

stonston

Stonston... i wanna to ask you... the Colostrum is in powder form?? & also can my boy mix in his milk?? he is now 3 months 2 weeks old.... can take anot?? & also the website you give i go see already.. is the price in SG? or USD?
Price is USD (conversion rate for CC is around 1.44 now).

3mth old I won't recommend yet. Start after 6 months ok?
Can mix in milk, no prob :) But when make milk, must always add cool water before hot water, else all the nutrients destroyed by heat :)

stonston

i tried buying books from them before but the shipping is too ex so i gave up.. maybe i should try to check how much it will cost if i order only canus items. i suppose it wont be cheap. so far only iherb's shipping is reasonable..
Only when Amazon has shipping offer then it's worth shipping direct!

iHerb's shipping gets cheaper as the years go by! The first few times I ordered from them, I went through shipping forwarder!

newmum80

Can mix in milk, no prob :) But when make milk, must always add cool water before hot water, else all the nutrients destroyed by heat :)

For 8mths old baby, what is the recommendation intake? Must it take daily? Can it mix in EBM?

Any remedy for baby who don't fancy semi solid food? He likes fruity puree as it taste sweet e.g. blueberry yoghurt (homemade), bananas, apples, peaches, pears but he only take in small quantity. Today his milk intake decrease partly i suspect is his teething.

annie

Only when Amazon has shipping offer then it's worth shipping direct!

iHerb's shipping gets cheaper as the years go by! The first few times I ordered from them, I went through shipping forwarder!
oh? their shipping is really cheap now! hehe. i tried amazon few days ago n they dun ship canus to tokyo.. too bad.. tokyo sells canus also but its so super expensive.. even after i pay for the shipping for drgstore.com, its still only half of wat is being sold here...

angelwendy

Thanks ston... Muack... haha:001_302:

stonston

For 8mths old baby, what is the recommendation intake? Must it take daily? Can it mix in EBM?

Any remedy for baby who dont't fancy semi solid food? He likes fruity puree as it taste sweet e.g. blueberry yoghurt (homemade), bananas, apples, peaches, pears but he only take in small quantity. Today his milk intake decrease partly i suspect is his teething.
You mean the colostrum for 8mths old baby? Depends on which brand you buy :)

I faced the same problem. My boy did not like semi solids for one period of time. Key is to mix the flavours he likes with other foods and explore more foods. At 8 months their quantity is still quite small if their milk feed is still alot. Try to space out the food & milk intake :)

Preference for sweet fruits is because you introduced them early. I held back on sweet foods till very late. Started with vege first. Even for sweet fruits, I mix with cereal to reduce the sweet taste.

oh? their shipping is really cheap now! hehe. i tried amazon few days ago n they dont ship canus to tokyo.. too bad.. tokyo sells canus also but its so super expensive.. even after i pay for the shipping for drgstore.com, its still only half of what is being sold here...
Yes! SG selling at crazy prices too! But still many ppl buying!

Are there any shipping forwarders to Tokyo like for SG? I think Borderlinx serves many countries, can check out: www.borderlinx.com

Thanks ston... Muack... haha:001_302:
No prob!

annie

thanks for the link. my fren is using borderlinx too but ive checked and they dun deliver to japan. i try google search but the shipping of these forwarder are simply too ex.. haven found a cheap one at the moment. will keep trying.

newmum80

You mean the colostrum for 8mths old baby? Depends on which brand you buy :)

I faced the same problem. My boy did not like semi solids for one period of time. Key is to mix the flavours he likes with other foods and explore more foods. At 8 months their quantity is still quite small if their milk feed is still alot. Try to space out the food & milk intake :)

Preference for sweet fruits is because you introduced them early. I held back on sweet foods till very late. Started with vege first. Even for sweet fruits, I mix with cereal to reduce the sweet taste.

I've no clue on colostrum & which one to intro him...

This morning, i tried to fed him some sweet potato, i only hv a few spoonful & that's it. His first bite of it often gv me those 'yucky' expression. is it common for babies?

I knw some mummies suggest to feed semi solid first thn milk, i've tried before while i'm feeding him semi solid halfway, he started fussing & wanted his milk.

Also, how to made Avocado tasty for babies? I usually jus steam, blend & feed OR steam, blend mixed with yoghurt & feed.

stonston

I've no clue on colostrum & which one to intro him...

This morning, i tried to fed him some sweet potato, i only have a few spoonful & that's it. His first bite of it often gv me those 'yucky' expression. is it common for babies?

I knw some mummies suggest to feed semi solid first thn milk, i've tried before while i'm feeding him semi solid halfway, he started fussing & wanted his milk.

Also, how to made Avocado tasty for babies? I usually just steam, blend & feed OR steam, blend mixed with yoghurt & feed.
Colostrum is to boost immune system. Is he falling sick very often?

Feeding kids is an art. Colour, taste & texture is very impt!
You gotta keep trying until you get it. Sometimes they like it thicker, sometimes they like it thinner, sometimes they want it lumpy.

First time trying new food they might reject. Keep trying :)

I space out the milk feeds & solids:
7am - wake up -> milk (lesser quantity)
8am - breakfast (at 8mths, i used to give him vege puree with oats)
10am - nap -> milk before nap
12pm - lunch (porridge with fish/chicken/pork & vege)
2pm - nap -> milk before nap
4pm - snacks with milk
6pm - dinner
8pm - milk
9-10pm - sleep -> milk before sleep

sharonyi66

Stonston,

I just placed some orders thru iherb.

Before placing orders, I went to GNC to 'remember' the price 1st coz all along I stock up Child Life Colostum, ChildLife Echinacea and Rainbow Light Gummy bear at there..

After comparing...the price really 'wow' me!

eg: Child Life Colostum - $62 (aft GNC member 20%+5% discount) compare to SGD$24.80 (iherb USD$17.24 X 1.44)!!
I can actually buy 3 from iherb compare to just buy only 1 at GNC here..

Total i only spent SGD$105 for 5 products!

Thank you so much for the recommending iherb!

stonston

eg: Child Life Colostum - $62 (after GNC member 20%+5% discount) compare to SGD$24.80 (iherb USD$17.24 X 1.44)!!

glad you like it too!
Really is $$$ saver for us!

annie

Stonston,

I just placed some orders thru iherb.

Before placing orders, I went to GNC to 'remember' the price 1st coz all along I stock up Child Life Colostum, ChildLife Echinacea and Rainbow Light Gummy bear at there..

eg: Child Life Colostum - $62 (after GNC member 20%+5% discount) compare to SGD$24.80 (iherb USD$17.24 X 1.44)!!

first time customers get a USD5 off if u got a referral code.. did u get any code from anyone?? if not then USD5 fly.. i got code. if anyone interested to buy ask me for code k. dun waste the USD5 discount..