Flooring - Tiles or Laminate?

CanCanMum

tiles (Homogenous) are hardwearing, "permanent" and affordable but in comparison to laminate flooring, its slightly more expensive. It also takes longer time to install and there are grooves lines in between that in time to come the grooves will turn from white to black. (Cement grouting) But it can withstand water and when we drag furnitures across will not cause scratches. There are many varieties of homogenous tiles nowadays that is made to look like marble flooring. I do not recommend ceramic tiles for bedrooms becoz if you accidentally dropped something hard and sharp will cause the tile to chip and causing an exposed ceramic chip that is different in colour (if its made from red clay will be red, white clay will be white)

Laminate flooring has a hollow sound when we walk, cannot touch water (will pop out) but is cheaper and installation takes only one day. Laminate flooring is actually made from compressed wood/chipboard with a top layer of resin/man made wood layer that can withstand abrasion, traffic and has a nice wood finishing that matches that of the real wood grain flooring, but at an affordable price.

Both materials has its goods and bads.

Last edited:

Angelmum

Laminate flooring has a hollow sound when we walk, cannot touch water (will pop out) but is cheaper and installation takes only one day. Laminate flooring is actually made from compressed wood/chipboard with a top layer of resin/man made wood layer that can withstand abrasion, traffic and has a nice wood finishing that matches that of the real wood grain flooring, but at an affordable price.
Laminate flooring = regret

tiles (Homogenous) are hardwearing, can anyhow wash/splash water, dont need to keep floor extremely dry, gd for ppl like me.

autumn82

Wow! I've got homogenous tiles in the kitchen, ceramic in 1/2 living room, laminated in 1/2 living room & all bedrooms.

So far, my laminated flooring still pretty good after 10yrs. Just for the sides when my aircon was leaking, so kanna, popped out. But other than that, all is still fine.. Heh.

My ceramic got tiny chips here and there due to dropping things.. :p

Homogenous is still fine even after weekly scrubbing. LOL.

CanCanMum

Wow! I've got homogenous tiles in the kitchen, ceramic in 1/2 living room, laminated in 1/2 living room & all bedrooms.

So far, my laminated flooring still pretty good after 10yrs. Just for the sides when my aircon was leaking, so kanna, popped out. But other than that, all is still fine.. Heh.

My ceramic got tiny chips here and there due to dropping things.. :p

Homogenous is still fine even after weekly scrubbing. LOL.
baOBEI~~~~i lobe u~~~~

Angelmum

wah, yr hse got everything!
sometimes so angry with my laminated flooring (I like simple and convenience), felt like tearing them off, especially afraid gal wet it during toilet training.... :elvis: but X to redo my flooring :swoon:

memories_making

Thanks for the great advice.

Wow, 10 years! what brand is that?

So homogeneous tiles seems to be a good choice. But is it a good idea to lay homogeneous tiles in my son's room? Will it be too hard and cold for him to play with his toys on the floor? Or just lay a rug? hmm...

BTW, how about vinyl laminate?

autumn82

wah, your house got everything!
sometimes so angry with my laminated flooring (I like simple and convenience), felt like tearing them off, especially afraid gal wet it during toilet training.... :elvis: but X to redo my flooring :swoon:
Yah.. Just wipe off the water/pee fast shldn't be a problem. I use the sponge type of mop (roman mop i dink) all these years, and the flooring still ok.

autumn82

Thanks for the great advice.

Wow, 10 years! what brand is that?

So homogeneous tiles seems to be a good choice. But is it a good idea to lay homogeneous tiles in my son's room? Will it be too hard and cold for him to play with his toys on the floor? Or just lay a rug? hmm...

BTW, how about vinyl laminate?
Erm.. I don't know what brand, can't rem... after 10yrs+... Wahahahah :p

BaObei, Homogeneous tiles good for bedroom or not? I'm not too sure, but for bedroom, I think laminated is better, not that cold. Feels cosier as well.. :tlaugh:

CanCanMum

Erm.. I dont't know what brand, can't rem... after 10yrs+... Wahahahah :p

BaObei, Homogeneous tiles good for bedroom or not? I'm not too sure, but for bedroom, I think laminated is better, not that cold. Feels cosier as well.. :tlaugh:
actually if u r good in maintaining your floor, laminate flooring can last u a lifetime~~

my whole house is homogenous tiles....becoz we r juz plain lazy lols~~~

autumn82

actually if you are good in maintaining your floor, laminate flooring can last you a lifetime~~

my whole house is homogenous tiles....becoz we are just plain lazy lols~~~
I don't know how to maintain wor. Just mop and keep dry rite? Wahahaha. :p

autumn82

nope you must talk and kiss the floor :p :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
No wonder my flooring still ok.. Must be my dog doing the talking & licking all these years... Wahahahahah :p

Today realised the homogenous tiles in the bathroom like alittle popped out.. sianz.. grrrrrr

CanCanMum

No wonder my flooring still ok.. Must be my dog doing the talking & licking all these years... Wahahahahah :p

Today realised the homogenous tiles in the bathroom like alittle popped out.. sianz.. grrrrrr
wahahhhaha~~~~neber mind let me hammer in for u~~~:p crappy

lawla12

Laminate flooring = regret

tiles (Homogenous) are hardwearing, can anyhow wash/splash water, dont need to keep floor extremely dry, good for ppl like me.

lai lai..shake hands....

WE OSO REGRET HAVING LAMINATED FLOORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm the one doing all the housework lohhhhh......must really squeeze the mop DRY DRY DRY then can mop the floor.....zzzzzzz....super ma fan !!!!!!!!!!!!

oso hard to maintain loohhhhh....scare tis n tat......zzzzzzzz........

tot of removing it...but hor, we already move in 3yrs liaoooo......wanna renovate again, then where to find place to put our furnitures...moreover, mine is build-in waredobe.....if remove the laminated flooring, i tink the waredobe sure gone (i tink so..LOL).....then we surely cannot stay in the house deee maaa, then stay where???? super ma fan !!!!!!!

:realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

Angelmum

lai lai..shake hands....

WE also REGRET HAVING LAMINATED FLOORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm the one doing all the housework lohhhhh......must really squeeze the mop DRY DRY DRY then can mop the floor.....zzzzzzz....super fan !!!!!!!!!!!!

also hard to maintain loohhhhh....scare tis and that......zzzzzzzz........

thought of removing it...but , we already move in 3yrs liaoooo......wanna renovate again, then where to find place to put our furnitures...moreover, mine is build-in waredobe.....if remove thebuild-in waredobe, i tink the waredobe sure gone (i tink so..LOL).....then we surely cannot stay in the house deee maaa, then stay where???? super fan !!!!!!!

:realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:
SAME!

Mine 2yrs but think I worse, got plateform bed so the bedrooms n 3 build-in waredobe must tear. Furthermore, contractor didnt hack the old 20yrs+ tiles so I had to hack n replace with new tiles.... they merely placed laminated wood on top of old tiles. I allergic to reno ... dust makes my skin end up rashes so I cant stay home, hide in one corner watch. At one stage, thot of laying vinyl on top but HB said crawlies may hide under cos wood cosy home for them.

摆家乐 only got living rm reno unlike the Kids Central got Groom my Room ... otherwise, can try my luck get free grooming :001_302:

lawla12

SAME!

Mine 2yrs but think I worse, got plateform bed so the bedrooms and 3 build-in waredobe must tear. Furthermore, contractor didnt hack the old 20yrs+ tiles so I had to hack and replace with new tiles.... they merely placed laminated wood on top of old tiles. I allergic to reno ... dust makes my skin end up rashes so I cant stay home, hide in one corner watch. At one stage, thot of laying vinyl on top but husband said crawlies may hide under cos wood cosy home for them.

摆家乐 only got living rm reno unlike the Kids Central got Groom my Room ... otherwise, can try my luck get free grooming :001_302:
yaaa...tats y, we still tinking...too much trouble leee....oso, we duno stay where during renovation.....our furniture, sofa etc, oso duno put where.....

tear down the waredobe--super wasted leh!!!

evyting is $$$$ n $$$$$$$ n $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

sianzzz