Homemade solid on the go

shespice

alicia also always wants to eat food from me. Yday i gave her chwee kueh (without the chilli and chai por) and she ate it happily. She just doesn't want to eat her own food! So sad...[/quote]

hahah, so cute, i can imagine alicia looking while you eat and saying "hmmm i think mummy's food looks delicious!" LOL

annie

yes potatoes be it white or sweet is rich in carbo. they can be given to her of cos. sweet potatoes is more nutritious. however, some kids get gas with potatoes so you got to monitor. my girl fart more when i gave her potatoes at first but no gas pain. now she is ok with potatos(so far ive only give her sweet potatoes. have not tried normal white ones. will try these few days cos i just bought home! hehe).

for cereal.. oatmeal is a good choice. white rice porridge is a safe choice but brown rice is more healthy. im a stay at home mum so i got all the time to make food for her.. hehe

6mths can start giving her veg and fruits . i started my girl at 6mths also. but of cos like i said, follow the 4days wait rule.

i have not bring her food out as well cos she very messy.. i cant imagine feeding her outside lol. i wanted to give my girl carrot as finger food also but then.. carrot after cooked very soft and she simply mashed them up with her finger.. if dont cook i worry she choke on them if she manage to bite them off? ive read that carrot sticks(uncook and chilled in fridge) is a good teething finger food. cos its hard and cold, they like to bite it and it soothe their gums.

my girl will look at me then lick her lips when i eat lol.

shespice

since your girl already has teeth she might be able to bite the carrot lol. my girl just only coming out with one so i thought maybe ok to let her try the cool uncooked carrot but i try to be watchful also hee hee.
i am quite keen to try out other types of food but will keep in mind the 4 day rule which you mentioned, just that gotta figure out how to do it since she is at nanny LOL. will see how it goes. how many meals do you feed with semi solid in a day when you do not give your girl milk?

annie

oh milk is still very impt for baby till 1yr old at least so the milk should still be their main food and nutrition source. i feed her on demand still. maybe 5-8 times a day! lol. she will drink when she wakes up, before her naps(she taking 2 naps), before her bath and before her sleep. so this is already 5 times. then sometimes i feed her when she wakes up from naps also if she naps long. and not forgetting the feed when she wakes up midnight?

i giving her 2 meals a day now. breakfast and luch for solid. at 6mths she is taking only 1 meal a day(breakfast). at 6mths she is not taking alot during each meal also. usually just about 30ml? (1 ice cube qty). super little. she dosent seem to like taking solid at that time and always end up playing with them instead. then cry when i try to give her more.. only around 7mths she start to take more. now she can take about 100-120ml of solid (3-4ice cubes) per meal. not alot also i guess. i only take 2 rounded tablespoon of porridge plus 1.5cubes of veg.. then fruits i give her as snack around evening or after her lunch or sometimes mix into her cereal in the morning. fruitty cereal lol

Last edited:

shespice

i think your baby's menu is so interesting! when compared to mine LOL. yeah at 6 months think they just play when feeding hahah. don't like then cry and make noise lol. I do not mind to try introducing other forms of food, just that earlier on i was told not to do so too early coz baby's digestive system may not be able to take it. that's why while some others started cereal or porridge at earlier months, i waited till 6 months before starting lol. this weekend driving into malaysia so probably may not be able to try anything different from her current "menu" lol. in the car when she hungry so much easier to just breastfeed hahaha.

annie

yeah breastfeeding is so convenient! lol. i started her when she was 6mths 1 week old also..

ktansy

which zojirushi flask are you using? i bought one recently but it totally dosent keep my girl's food warm! i wonder why...how old is your girl? every finger food i gave my girl she will take and crash them with her hands. faint.

snowbear, but those veg outside cooked with oil, salt and all ... can give baby meh? also, for bread, any bread ok? cos i heard cannot give baby wheat or gluten things and im not too sure what bread contains.. sometimes when im having bread my girl wanna snatch from me but i dont dare to give her...

I'm using a 0.6litre zojirushi flask that's meant for keeping water warm. my hubby bought wrongly. so silly, right?:tlaugh:i have to spoon out the required portion for my gal and leave the rest to keep warm inside.

ktansy

haha... where do you live? Are you working? we shld meet up some time... :)
I live opposite SGH and I work near Redhill market. even nearer to your place!

Going to re-start work end of month. Baby gal wil be with infant care. She cried herself silly at the centre today. poor thing!

ktansy

Annie, Kaitlyn is 6 months now. So far I tried Frisocreme and since she finished that, I just bought another brand Heinz Rice Cereal for her nanny to try out. All these cereal just add water or milk. So I have not tried any other types of food yet.
Heinz rice cereal was the 2nd cereal i gave my gal when she was 6mth old. It made her poo poo smell really bad!!! The 1st one she tried was Nestle Rice cereal (without milk version.) It was too sweet! I only fed her twice. now the tin still in my cupboard. i was thinking of adding little bit of it to baby's porridge to add some iron to her fruit/vegetable n porridge diet. she jus finished 2 boxes of Healthy Times Brown Rice cereal n now started on some brown rice porridge. she makes funny faces as she eats it.

snowbear

thanks annie, yeah think i will try to make it less watery. its interesting to read about your dedicated efforts in making porridge for your girl and discovering what she like and do not like. I have not't got the chance to do so as my girl is with the nanny so I dont't get to discover her likes and dislike yet. Since I just introduced the rice cereal, think i stick with it for the time being. I also see some commerical bottled food like veg or fruits and tempted to try LOL....though not sure if I will complicate her palette :p.
i realised that with rice cereal, the more u stir, the more watery it becomes. Try to stir less if u dun want it to become too watery.

I read that giving commercial bottled food may cause the bb to have transition problems when switching over to eating 'normal' food next time.

annie

i read that too. cos the ingredients used n all are not really 'real/fresh'. its like instant food.

snowbear

I live opposite singapore general hospital and I work near Redhill market. even nearer to your place!

Going to re-start work end of month. Baby gal wil be with infant care. She cried herself silly at the centre today. poor thing!
spottiswoode park? My in-laws live there.

hee. i live just opp redhill mrt so v near your workplace.

Poor gal.. was just telling my dh that my dd's so naughty n taking me for granted, maybe i shld go back to work and put her in childcare! haha... then he said "sure or not... after that u'll be the one who'll cry...":tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

annie

many frens tell me their kids cry so much when they go to nursery cos its the first time mummy leave them in a foregin place n leave them... our time will come! poor kids..

anyway snowbear, my sis live opposite redhill mrt too! lol. the brown brown hdb..

snowbear

snowbear, have you trie giving alicia apples without mashing them up? can she take it? im wondering if i can offer my girl as finger food but worry she will choke on it.. so far ive only gave her apples puree(need to cook apples first). i wonder if can give her uncook apples as finger food.. any idea? so far i tried giving her bananas and avocado as finger food. she loves banana but not avocado lol. im trying to find papaya here but cannot.. hubby say its not this season's fruit so cant get it.. pear also cannot. need to wait till winter or autumn i guess...
until now i still give scraped apple. You can just use a metal teaspoon to scrape the flesh out from the apple. Make a cut on the apple, almost halving it, but dun cut till where the core is so that you get a seedless side of the apple and just scrape from there. Apple's a bit too hard so i dun think she can manage it as finger food yet. Alicia was playing with her carrots today, kept throwing them everywhere, n only putting some into her mouth. sigh...

Alicia also doesn't like avocado. Dun give too much banana. It causes phelgm if u eat too much of it.

snowbear

Heinz rice cereal was the 2nd cereal i gave my gal when she was 6mth old. It made her poo poo smell really bad!!! The 1st one she tried was Nestle Rice cereal (without milk version.) It was too sweet! I only fed her twice. now the tin still in my cupboard. i was thinking of adding little bit of it to baby's porridge to add some iron to her fruit/vegetable and porridge diet. she just finished 2 boxes of Healthy Times Brown Rice cereal and now started on some brown rice porridge. she makes funny faces as she eats it.
Nestle's cereal got sugar added. That's why it's so sweet. I also gave dd Healthy Times cereal last time. She's tried all the flavours (oatmeal, barley, brown rice, mixed grain). Now she doesn't eat cereal anymore...

If your dd's 8 months already u can start on chicken/pork to add iron into the diet.

annie

phlegm? oh.. ok. i gave her bananas for 3 days n stopped after that cos i bought 3 banana la lol. today gave her white potatos n she dosent seem to like it too. give me the yucky expression lol. maybe cos not much taste ba.. its my fav food though.. her fruits n veg cubes in the freezer is finishing.. i got to make new ones! recently i cook her carbo(porridge/cereal) daily cos she eats more liao. so i cook once can last her for 2 meals.. but then veg n fruits still impossible to give her fresh ones unless im cooking(i rarely cook) or unless i eat the same fruits with her(i seldom take fruits either lol). so still got to freeze n microwave.. im trying my best not to use microwave la...

snowbear

lol ok if she enjoys your food then easier for you. of cos it might also means more salt and more oil and less healthy also . can try making her food colourful and cute? like japanese make those bento with animals and facial expressions to attract their kids to eat.. hehe.
currently i dont think she can appreciate colourful and cute food yet and she's too into throwing things recently. She tried to throw the plate of carrots onto the floor today so i dont think i'm gonna let her handle her plate of food for now.

snowbear

phlegm? oh.. ok. i gave her bananas for 3 days and stopped after that cos i bought 3 banana lol. today gave her white potatos and she dosent seem to like it too. give me the yucky expression lol. maybe cos not much taste .. its my fav food though.. her fruits and veg cubes in the freezer is finishing.. i got to make new ones! recently i cook her carbo(porridge/cereal) daily cos she eats more . so i cook once can last her for 2 meals.. but then veg and fruits still impossible to give her fresh ones unless im cooking(i rarely cook) or unless i eat the same fruits with her(i seldom take fruits either lol). so still got to freeze and microwave.. im trying my best not to use microwave ...
ya, last time i gave alicia banana for 3 days and she got phelgm after that. She's not a fan of (white) potatoes either. But then white potatoes are not that packed with nutrients so that's ok with me.

Good for u.. your dd's starting to eat more. Recently alicia's food intake is erratic again. Dunno what's wrong. Maybe more teeth coming out??? Or is she sick of eating baby food?? sigh...

snowbear

its good to give her a variety of things to try so she wont grow up to be a picky eater. but then be sure to follow the 4 day wait rule(giving a food for 4 days before introducing a new food) in case there is any allergy reaction. how old is your girl? rice cereal can make less watery also. btw, i still dont know difference between rice cereal and rice porridge lol. for me, i give my girl brown rice cereal, rice porridge, oatmeal cereal as her main course. sometimes i will mix them eg white and brown rice mix porridge/cereal. i give her fruits and veg everyday also. home made.

rice cereal is carbo and she needs other vit also including those from fruits and veg so you need to intro to her slowly..can mix into her rice cereal but for me, i give them seprately if its a new food in case she dosent like it.. if i mix into her porridge and she dont like the taste then the whole porridge got to go! lol.
yup, when giving new food, the 4-day wait rule's very impt. That's how i found out that alicia's allergic to tofu. It helps u pinpt which food is the culprit!

Also when feeding the new food for the first time, let the bb taste it on its own first, dun mix it in the food.