When do u send yr child to preschool?

pkshl

hi mummies, when do u send yr child to preschool/playgroup/childcare? at what age?

i was planning to send my son to childcare after 18mths. i plan to enrol him fullday at nearby cc at my place but my hb is not so keen on fullday cc. Currently my son's daytime caregiver is my mil, nightime we bring him home. my hb prefers to let our son go 1hr playgroup near his mum's place. his mindset is go cc learn nothing, only play, might as well let him go playgroup like his 3yr old niece. his 3yr old niece is attending 1hr playgroup now.

i do not agree with him & we had arguements on this several times. he always likes to compare his niece & nephew :nah:

what should i do?

diymummy

Certain child care centres have playgroups incorporated into their child care services. So first they will have playgroup then those where the parents can pick them will go home while the rest stay behind.

My son is now attending Agape Little Uni. Their childcare services for kids abt 18mths includes gym time.

I suggest you short list a few centres you're interested in and get a curriculum from them. They usually have a program of what they do with the kids if it's a full day care.

Ting

hmmm, i think u can consider PG but not 1 hr those kind. the 3 hrs kind can learn more. 1 hr, by the time the kids settle down all tat, alr 1/2 hr gone.

n if your hubby really think go CC no use, come, ask him bring his 3 yo niece to see my 3yo pin. im sure he will see a significant difference, since he likes to compare so much.

Last edited:

AugBoyz

hmmm, i think you can consider PG but not 1 hr those kind. the 3 hours kind can learn more. 1 hr, by the time the kids settle down all that, already 1/2 hr gone.

n if your hubby really think go CC no use, come, ask him bring his 3 yo niece to see my 3yo pin. im sure he will see a significant difference, since he likes to compare so much.
Come let my monster meet this 3yr old niece too. then i can compare too hahah~

pkshl

i honestly feel that his 3yr old niece is wasting time gg to those 1hr playgroup. i dun c her very keen in learning, worst , she loves to create trouble at mil house. i really duno what her parents are tinking. until now she is still using the pacifier, even neighbour's daughter same age as her LAUGH at her for using pacifier.

diymummy

I think some things just cannot compare... Your hubs need to make correct decisions... Not convenient ones... Sorry I'm so frank...

camom

Elder one went to CCC at 23 mths old. She started off 1/2 day 1st, then changed to fullday later on cos we didn't renew our then-maid's contract.

No. 2 was supposed to start yesterday at 18 mths old but I decided to wait for a few more mths. I don't think he is ready yet. Definitely will enter full day CCC by the time he turns 2yo, unless I stop working.

apollo

i tot 3yo shd be attending those few hrs nursery group alrdy? cos nowadays nursery has 2 yrs right? 3yo is nursery 1 & 4 yo is nursery 2? pls correct me if i'm wrong..

i agree with Ting dearie, going for 1hr might as well dun go, waste money. ask ur hubby dun always compare this way, keith is special dee okay, he is ur precious, his niece is not.. haha..

pkshl

i thought 3yo should be attending those few hours nursery group alrdy? cos nowadays nursery has 2 yrs right? 3yo is nursery 1 & 4 yo is nursery 2? pls correct me if i'm wrong..

i agree with Ting dearie, going for 1hr might as well dont go, waste money. ask your hubby dont always compare this way, keith is special dee okay, he is your precious, his niece is not.. haha..
u r right. 3yrs old go N1, 4yrs old go N2, 5yrs old K1. so i dun understand what her parents r tinking lor. anywae not my prob, oso not my child.

Phoebii Cheng

Maybe if your hubby not comfortable, can send her in for 3hr PG? they oso hv tht....1hr is too short already, like what Ting says

Currently my son's CC has a girl whose mum puts her there 3hrs in the morning then the maid will bring her home around 12pm, when she is there she has breakfast, then activities like coloring, outdoor activities, sometimes they hv freeplay or music time or reading time, then bathing time then lunch.

I think it is good to mingle with a group of friends, so to practice their social skills

camom

Is 2 years old send to cc too young? I am scare of H1N1, but I need to send my baby as I need to go work.
Not for me. I think 2yo is a nice age to start CCC but that's me. My mom is usually ready to throw in the towel by the time my kids hit 18 mths actually.

Ting

Is 2 years old send to cc too young? I am scare of H1N1, but I need to send my baby as I need to go work.
no i think it is fine.
pin was in ccc the moment she hit 18 mths. no choice for me also, i had to start working full time. as im single.

she doing well n adapted well.
:)

Ting

i thought 3yo should be attending those few hours nursery group alrdy? cos nowadays nursery has 2 yrs right? 3yo is nursery 1 & 4 yo is nursery 2? pls correct me if i'm wrong..

i agree with Ting dearie, going for 1hr might as well dont go, waste money. ask your hubby dont always compare this way, keith is special dee okay, he is your precious, his niece is not.. haha..
yup correct.
pin class got N1 senior n N1 junior according to their birth mths. then each teacher take care of one class...total is 3 teachers in cluding 1 chinese teacher for her N1 class.

pkshl, tell your hubby, it is really not the same.
gg to PG/CC all these can really boost the child's confidence n they interact n communicate better with u.
like pin, last time i am a sahm n look after her, we do everything tgt, but now she in CCC, she has new topics to talk to me everyday, telling me new things she learn n what happen in sch.
she go on excursions n enjoy herself very well.
she is even teacher's little assisstant, helping teachers to guide her frens.
her teacher even commented she has good leadership skills for her age now, n very helpful towards her friends.

this is THE DIFFERENCE u see.

jasobias

Me i sent the boys to school only when they were 4..to n2.I didnt see the need going to school earlier than tht.They have a long long time ahead of them of schooling so i waited as long as i cld b4 sending them.Even in N2 i didnt send them everyday..just twice a week although classes were everyday one lah.
They were bright boys n way ahead of the school curriculum anyways.So they were very bored there.
Instead i chose those fun classes , like clay once a week..or swim..tht they really enjoyed.
I think for parents with younger kids,u cld just bring to those once a week or twice a week classes..2 hrs max.

pkshl

yup correct.
pin class got N1 senior n N1 junior according to their birth mths. then each teacher take care of one class...total is 3 teachers in cluding 1 chinese teacher for her N1 class.

pkshl, tell your hubby, it is really not the same.
gg to PG/CC all these can really boost the child's confidence n they interact n communicate better with you.
like pin, last time i am a stay at home mum n look after her, we do everything together, but now she in CCC, she has new topics to talk to me everyday, telling me new things she learn n what happen in sch.
she go on excursions n enjoy herself very well.
she is even teacher's little assisstant, helping teachers to guide her friends.
her teacher even commented she has good leadership skills for her age now, n very helpful towards her friends.

this is THE DIFFERENCE you see.
Ting, i totally agree with u.

ive a gf who works at CC & she told me the younger the child goes to CC, the more independent they will be as they grow up. she's there everyday & interact with kids as young as 18mths.
to me, seeing kids who attend CC & kids who havn't attend CC yet is really a big difference.

[i take my niece & nephew as example:
older gal(is already 3yrs old as of yesterday) currently attending 2hrs PG(my mil says is 2hrs) while her younger bro(22mths) is still at home, he doesnt know how to talk yet & vents his anger by throwing things around/scream loudly etc, he even hits my son(i saw) & my son is still so young!:nah:(so i told my mil to be careful when he is around my son). i sometimes feel that they r like bad influence to my son :(

Last edited:

apollo

nope, baby can go to CC as young as 18mths lik wat Ting dearie said. even babies below 18mths also can go to 'school', aka infant care.. i personally feel that sending babies to infant care/CC is better than hiring a nanny.

Ting, i totally agree with you.

ive a gf who works at CC & she told me the younger the child goes to CC, the more independent they will be as they grow up. she's there everyday & interact with kids as young as 18mths.
to me, seeing kids who attend CC & kids who havn't attend CC yet is really a big difference.

[i take my niece & nephew as example:
older gal(is already 3yrs old as of yesterday) currently attending 2hrs PG(my mother in law says is 2hrs) while her younger bro(22mths) is still at home, he doesnt know how to talk yet & vents his anger by throwing things around/scream loudly etc, he even hits my son(i saw) & my son is still so young!:nah:(so i told my mother in law to be careful when he is around my son). i sometimes feel that they r like bad influence to my son :(
i think it is okay for the 22mths old to stay at hm, but the thing is, the main caregiver must know hw to teach at least those basic/simple things to the child.. and since ur mil is alrdy taking care 2 kids, and the kids, esp the 22mths old one, didnt learn anything from ur mil, den i thin CC or at least those 3hrs playgroup is better for keith. =)

littlehelper

I think that the 1hr playgroups are really impossible.
1.Kids cry.
2.Kids are shy dun wanna go.
3.by the time everything is settled,can't learn anything.
even if there was a lesson,most probably a slipshot one.

Going to CC sometimes its really going there play and waste the time away while their parents at work thats why its important to look for a good one.
Where the kids are disciplined and have a structured programme,