When do u send yr child to preschool?

CanCanMum

hi mummies, when do you send yr child to preschool/playgroup/childcare? at what age?

i was planning to send my son to childcare after 18mths. i plan to enrol him fullday at nearby cc at my place but my husband is not so keen on fullday cc. Currently my son's daytime caregiver is my mother in law, nightime we bring him home. my husband prefers to let our son go 1hr playgroup near his mum's place. his mindset is go cc learn nothing, only play, might as well let him go playgroup like his 3yr old niece. his 3yr old niece is attending 1hr playgroup now.

i do not agree with him & we had arguements on this several times. he always likes to compare his niece & nephew :nah:

what should i do?
why dunn u ask hubby to go with you to the cc to see how they teach and handle toddlers, actually yes, they only play but they oso learn thru play.

i didnot have any experience with childcare centres but Baber's school curriculum is like this:

1) 2.5 to 3yo = 2 hour playgroup (actually learnt nothing, can tell the teachers do the handicrafts for them coz its super neat lOlzzzz)

2) 3yo to 4yo = PCF nursery, 3 hour session. He learnt a lot of things from there, plus he picked up English language there, as in speaking quite fluent english.

3) Current = K1, he is enjoying the lessons but right now, he has difficulty differentiating Caps and Small letters, he can mix a capital letter in the middle of a word *pengz*

CanCanMum

I think that the 1hr playgroups are really impossible.
1.Kids cry.
2.Kids are shy dont wanna go.
3.by the time everything is settled,can't learn anything.
even if there was a lesson,most probably a slipshot one.

Going to CC sometimes its really going there play and waste the time away while their parents at work thats why its important to look for a good one.
Where the kids are disciplined and have a structured programme,
i didnt noe 1hour playgroup existed?

ermmm 2 hours oredi learnt nothing, wad can 1 hour do?????????

Oppsgal

IMO, yes i think 2 years old r too young!! they are still soo baby. just have fun at home !
But no one look after how to keep at home have fun? :embarrassed: If can I also want put baby at home until Kindergarten, but then when baby goes kindergarten, I old already, no company want hire then I do what? Rot at home for whole life?

CanCanMum

But no one look after how to keep at home have fun? :embarrassed: If can I also want put baby at home until Kindergarten, but then when baby goes kindergarten, I old already, no company want hire then I do what? Rot at home for whole life?
if u thinking of joining the workforce again, den no choice u gonna send your 2yo to childcare

in my opinion being from 2yo to kindergarten its only 2 years gap, its more of whether u can adjust to working life again or whether u r employable. Unless we are talking about 7, 10 years gap of being last employed, thats a different issue altogether.

but if u wan to join the workforce again, by all means send to CC. Otherwise consider maid or nanny but if i were u i will prefer CC.

Phoebii Cheng

I think tht's not wat jojoki meant...I think she means tht if you are staying at home full time and planning to send your child to CC....

But like me, I oso got no choice but to send my son to infant care when he was young and now he is in PG...he enjoys himself, he has a best friend there and yes learns new words and recently learns chinese, I think it is good tht now he is able to communicate well with us, not like last time, not happy cry, ask him wat's wrong keep on crying :tlaugh:

Ting

to be honest, i sent pin to CC is bcos, i didnt hv a choice.
as u all know, i'm a single mum.
before she hit 18 mths, i was a SAHM.
yes, i can teach her, play with her all that.. even til she reaches 4.
pin is very bright, she pick up things very fast.
BUT, teaching her n letting her learn new things also need money.
ie, books, edu materials, flash cards, extra "fun" lessons, like what jasobias mentioned.
BUT, i dun hv money, i can only work PT (4 hrs a day from 6-10pm) after my sis/parents r home from work to look after her.
i think u guys also can calculate one mth i only earn how much at tt time, only few hundreds. diapers n FM alr killing me cos pin is a milk monster, she can finish up one 1.8kg tin in a week or so.

tts why i waited til she was 18 mths n put her in CC.
i worked full time, earn twice as much as i did doing PT n pin gained alot in sch.
she have fun in sch(art classes, dance n sing with her pals), she learnt more, n easily (cos the teachers r sure to know how to teach better than me in term of ABCs n 123s). she hv new frens to play with, she goes on excursions(n playgrounds), she learnt to be more independent, n she learnt how to lead.... n much more.

my sis bf's child, she is 5 this yr.
her grandparents look after her (mainly grandfather), i think now she attending PCF or something, i cant rmb...but only 2-3 hrs a day.
but she can hardly speak n duno how to interact with kids.
she cant understand english well, n her chinese is also limited.. so when she is with a bunch of kids, if she dun understand what they r saying (esp english) she just go to one corner n play by herself..
sometimes, i feel sad when i hear abt her, cos i feel tt if given a chance, she would probably be like pin...

i just feel tt, yes, kids this age, they go sch to PLAY, tts their childhood n their nature.
but thru play in CC, they learn how to follow rules, learn abt discipline n independence. they train their social skills n interaction with other ppl.
all these can be done thru playing.
u just need to find a right sch.
trial n error lahs. the first CC i trialed in also CMI lorr.. super jialat tt one..
well, i nvr regret placing pin in CC deeee.

CanCanMum

my sis bf's child, she is 5 this yr.
her grandparents look after her (mainly grandfather), i think now she attending PCF or something, i cant rmb...but only 2-3 hours a day.
but she can hardly speak n dont know how to interact with kids.
she cant understand english well, n her chinese is also limited.. so when she is with a bunch of kids, if she dont understand what they r saying (esp english) she just go to one corner n play by herself..
sometimes, i feel sad when i hear about her, cos i feel that if given a chance, she would probably be like pin...
Baber was like this when i sent him to Playgroup and he was oso like this during the beginning of his Nursery in PCF, after half a year, he adapted to it very well.

Hence i think early childhood education is important, get them in too late, they will have a hard time adapting.

My generation donx have nursery all kids start school at 5 lOlzzz

i still remember during my time, 1 kid cry, all follow lOlzzzz

Ting

Baber was like this when i sent him to Playgroup and he was also like this during the beginning of his Nursery in PCF, after half a year, he adapted to it very well.

Hence i think early childhood education is important, get them in too late, they will have a hard time adapting.

My generation donx have nursery all kids start school at 5 lOlzzz

i still remember during my time, 1 kid cry, all follow lOlzzzz
haha really!!
for pin, when she sees her fren cry she will go to her fren n ask them why they cry then sayang them.
:wong19:

CanCanMum

haha really!!
for pin, when she sees her friend cry she will go to her friend n ask them why they cry then sayang them.
:wong19:
hahahhah next time i ask Baber to cry infront of Pin see if she will sayang him anotsss haha~~~~~~~~~

SH74

i sent my boy to PG when he's 18 months old. he ended up being the youngest in the school. so alw being well taken care of by the teachers n older kids there.

if u intend to send ur child 2 sch early, wat i think is most impt is to start sourcing early. n if u hv any fav sch, better c the plc 1st n if alr full, better put urself in wait list soon.

for me, i started searching for sch v late. so alot of sch r full alr.

once u've shortlisted d 1s u like (1st round), bring ur child n if possible ur hb there 2 c. make sure all r happy w d plc.

my boy learnt alot fr sch. become more independent, more talkative, more cheerful. but only thing is u hv 2 b 'heartless' when ur child hv d separation anxiety in d morning. only prob is 'cause 18 months old child still cant really communicate verbally. so if he/she is bullied / hurt, we wont b able 2 know. asking d teachers may not b helpful either.

so if u worry abt dat, it's better 2 spend abit more with higher teacher:student ratio.

another thing is if u r particular of ur child's salt / sugar intake, better go for a sch dat'll control that. jus realised dat littleskoolhouse doesnt allow sweets 2 be put in goodie bags.

CanCanMum

i sent my boy to PG when he's 18 months old. he ended up being the youngest in the school. so alw being well taken care of by the teachers n older kids there.

if you intend to send your child 2 sch early, what i think is most impt is to start sourcing early. n if you have any fav sch, better c the plc 1st n if already full, better put yourself in wait list soon.

for me, i started searching for sch very late. so alot of sch r full already.

once you've shortlisted d 1s you like (1st round), bring your child n if possible your husband there 2 c. make sure all r happy w d plc.

my boy learnt alot fr sch. become more independent, more talkative, more cheerful. but only thing is you have 2 b 'heartless' when your child have d separation anxiety in d morning. only prob is 'cause 18 months old child still cant really communicate verbally. so if he/she is bullied / hurt, we wont b able 2 know. asking d teachers may not b helpful either.

so if you worry about dat, it's better 2 spend abit more with higher teacher:student ratio.

another thing is if you r particular of your child's salt / sugar intake, better go for a sch dat'll control that. just realised dat littleskoolhouse doesnt allow sweets 2 be put in goodie bags.
darling number 3!!!!!!!!!!!! LONG TIME NO SEEEEE

HOW R U???????????????:wong19:

SH74

hi mummies, when do you send yr child to preschool/playgroup/childcare? at what age?

i was planning to send my son to childcare after 18mths. i plan to enrol him fullday at nearby cc at my place but my husband is not so keen on fullday cc. Currently my son's daytime caregiver is my mother in law, nightime we bring him home. my husband prefers to let our son go 1hr playgroup near his mum's place. his mindset is go cc learn nothing, only play, might as well let him go playgroup like his 3yr old niece. his 3yr old niece is attending 1hr playgroup now.

i do not agree with him & we had arguements on this several times. he always likes to compare his niece & nephew :nah:

what should i do?
cc nowadays r not like last time. they get to learn alot, even hv syllabus 2 follow. i think wat u shld do is to shortlist 2-3 schs u like (in terms of env, syllabus, teachers,...) den bring him there 2 c when it's functioning. b4 dat u need to let d principal / teacher know dat ur hb is against cc, so they can b prepared. n also b4 bringing him there, let him know wat 2 expect.

seriously, if u ask me, 1 hr everyday is useless. def cant learn anything if so. d aim of letting him go cc is so dat he learn 2 mix ard w other kids, for survival skills.

another thing u may want 2 tell him is dat putting ur child at cc is cheaper ('cause got subsidy if working mother). pay lesser yet child can learn more. unless ur MIL used to be a teacher or has childhood education, den she can take over d role like a cc teacher. if not, it's really not worth it lor.

SH74

Is 2 years old send to cc too young? I am scare of H1N1, but I need to send my baby as I need to go work.
IMO, it's not d age dat matters. it's whether ur child is ready or not. i feel dat as long as ur child can un wat u r trying 2 say/ask n can reply abit (not necessarily in proper sentences but at least can un wat he/she is trying 2 say/show), he/she is ready.

as for H1N1, my sis's son got it fr shopping malls' arcades, even b4 he started his N1. so if wan kena, even if u nv go sch, also can kena 1 lor. actu H1N1 is not as bad as wat media says. unless doc say it's v serious type. only thing is u hv 2 sterilise all their toys n pay more attention on their hygiene, cleanliness,...

for me, i started my boy w some supplements (e.g. fish oil n chlorella) to boost his immunity.

jojoki

haha sorry la i'm v laid back mommy.... me havent think about whn go back to work where to put baby... i am PRAYING HARD that i can continue to be sahm until she's 5 or maybe 6. the straight to P1? Meanwhile i just wanna be possessive over her...:001_302: