When do u send yr child to preschool?

stonston

There's pros & cons. You should get your hb to go check out the recommended CCs in your area (check out KSP forum for more info before you bring him).

I'm giving tuition now and I see alot of kids who were taken care of by their grandparents and only went to nursery/kindergarten for a few hours a day at 4/5 yo.
You can see their social interaction skills and oral communication skills are very different. Some of their grandparents do not speak English at all and the kids also cannot speak English properly due to lack of practice/exposure.

I send my boy to CCC at 18mths although I have a maid.
At 18mths - 4yo, it's more play and interaction (story telling, art & craft, music/dance) than academic. But they learn through play.

Depending on the CCC, some may be quite academic focused with extra fun enrichments so it saves you alot of time shuttling your kid here & there for different classes.

Later on when your child is older, you can decide to switch to a more academic kindy if that is what you want. Or can just stay at the CCC for half day instead of full day.

My boy is now attending a very academic kindy. He loves going to school & he learnt ALOT there. What he is reading now in both English & Chinese is beyond what I'd expect him to know at 3yo. He was so upset when there was 1 day after CNY that the school was closed but we forget and my maid got him ready for school. Brought him down to wait for the school bus, which did not appear. Drove him to school. Saw the school closed and he was so sad!

Alot of parents (esp in this forum) criticise me for stressing my boy but I know he enjoys school. He gets to play in the morning before school and after school, he still plays. If you want to calculate, 70% of his waking hours are spent playing/watching TV.

You have to know what you want for YOUR CHILD and work towards getting your hb to share the same views as you. My hb shares the same views as me and is very ready to support me in my decisions to send my boy to school. He even participated in checking out the schools, going down to register and making arrangements to follow my boy on school excursions.

Oppsgal

There's pros & cons. You should get your husband to go check out the recommended CCs in your area (check out KSP forum for more info before you bring him).

I'm giving tuition now and I see alot of kids who were taken care of by their grandparents and only went to nursery/kindergarten for a few hours a day at 4/5 yo.
You can see their social interaction skills and oral communication skills are very different. Some of their grandparents do not speak English at all and the kids also cannot speak English properly due to lack of practice/exposure.

I send my boy to CCC at 18mths although I have a maid.
At 18mths - 4yo, it's more play and interaction (story telling, art & craft, music/dance) than academic. But they learn through play.

Depending on the CCC, some may be quite academic focused with extra fun enrichments so it saves you alot of time shuttling your kid here & there for different classes.

Later on when your child is older, you can decide to switch to a more academic kindy if that is what you want. Or can just stay at the CCC for half day instead of full day.

My boy is now attending a very academic kindy. He loves going to school & he learnt ALOT there. What he is reading now in both English & Chinese is beyond what I'd expect him to know at 3yo. He was so upset when there was 1 day after CNY that the school was closed but we forget and my maid got him ready for school. Brought him down to wait for the school bus, which did not appear. Drove him to school. Saw the school closed and he was so sad!

Alot of parents (esp in this forum) criticise me for stressing my boy but I know he enjoys school. He gets to play in the morning before school and after school, he still plays. If you want to calculate, 70% of his waking hours are spent playing/watching TV.

You have to know what you want for YOUR CHILD and work towards getting your husband to share the same views as you. My husband shares the same views as me and is very ready to support me in my decisions to send my boy to school. He even participated in checking out the schools, going down to register and making arrangements to follow my boy on school excursions.
KSP forum not much information on the CC I am planning to send my baby to. Any good CC in bedok area? CC need wear uniform? Wait my baby soil the uniform?

Last edited:

stonston

Which one you looking at? You must post and ask ard in KSP. Sometimes got parents who send their kids there but rather quiet, usually PM each other only.

apollo

KSP forum not much information on the CC I am planning to send my baby to. Any good CC in bedok area? CC need wear uniform? Wait my baby soil the uniform?
if i'm not wrong, yes CC has uniform. my fren's kid went CC last time and she will let him wear uniform, and prepare a set of clean home clothes in his bag, den during noon time the teacher will bath and change him into the clean set of clothes.

and i'm sure all kids will soil their clothes while playing and eating right? not a big issue.

nataliecxy

I intend to send my boy to Cambridge CDC when he turns 18mths. Mommies, any idea how much are they charging for full day?

Last edited:

Ting

But no one look after how to keep at home have fun? :embarrassed: If can I also want put baby at home until Kindergarten, but then when baby goes kindergarten, I old already, no company want hire then I do what? Rot at home for whole life?
omg pls lorr, u talk as if u r very old huh?
my mum was a SAHM for over twenty yrs n then she came out to work.. tt time iirc she is alr like 40 plus? n she can also find a job lahs..
only 2 yrs wont make a difference lahs...its all abt YOUR MINDSET.

Ting

if i'm not wrong, yes CC has uniform. my friend's kid went CC last time and she will let him wear uniform, and prepare a set of clean home clothes in his bag, then during noon time the teacher will bath and change him into the clean set of clothes.

and i'm sure all kids will soil their clothes while playing and eating right? not a big issue.
yup u r right.
pin almost everyday come home with soiled clothes, either cos of painting classes, or eating. but not til very jialat lahs, just a bit of soupy stain. :p

Oppsgal

omg pls lorr, you talk as if you r very old huh?
my mum was a stay at home mum for over twenty yrs n then she came out to work.. that time iirc she is already like 40 plus? n she can also find a job lahs..
only 2 yrs wont make a difference lahs...its all about YOUR MINDSET.
What your mum work as?

Ting

What your mum work as?
she's a merchandiser.
actually it doesnt matter what my mum work as.
my point here is tt, if u really wanna work, u r sure to to be able to find a job.
its a matter of willingness.
n i believe u r only in your twenties or early thirties right?

CanCanMum

she's a merchandiser.
my point here is that, if you really wanna work, you r sure to to be able to find a job.
n i believe you r only in your twenties or early thirties right?
i agree with Ting, if u wanna work, u will be able to be employed.

so rest assured. Send yr child when he/she is ready, as long as when u r ready to face the working world again :).

Renzie

I agree, if you are ready and willing to work, you'll be employed.

My mom is the type who needs to go work and cannot stay at home. Even at her age (almost 60), she still can job hop around, her reason being because she's bored with her current workplace. Her boss even wanted to promote her even though she only started working at her present job for 1/2 yr, and she refused...with excuses of too much responsibilty.

Everyone is asking me whether my mom will quit her job when my child is born to help me take care of her. I highly doubt so, my mom say she might...but its because she's thinking of quitting again..and so while looking for the other job, then she'll help me. .......

ping26

I'm sending my baby to school 1x/wk fr next mth onwards. She'll be 1 year old.

HAHA... I'm bringing her to work with me. My colleague who's Montessori-trained will be teaching her. Anyone wants to join her??

I agree with Stonston, if caregivers at home can't play w child, read book or speak clearly (erm logically), the child's better off at CC.

At our centre, when we do language assessments, we have different lg norms for children who come from English- or Chinese- speaking homes. This deficit in language ability may persist into primary school for some children.

If you're able to teach & guide yr child, then I think staying at home is definitely more fun :001_302:

PS most gifted kids are often home-schooled during early childhood. Course, mummy or daddy may be a PhD holder.

Last edited:

Oppsgal

she's a merchandiser.
my point here is that, if you really wanna work, you r sure to to be able to find a job.
n i believe you r only in your twenties or early thirties right?

My age is a secret. hehe...

Depends on what job, maybe hard to get a job for me as too many foreigners here to compete for office work.

Plus I also don't know what to teach my baby. Everyday take board books read same thing? :err:

Ting

My age is a secret. hehe...

Depends on what job, maybe hard to get a job for me as too many foreigners here to compete for office work.

Plus I also dont't know what to teach my baby. Everyday take board books read same thing? :err:
ha! then im sure u haven start searching for a job yet!
cos when i just started full time, n applied my jobs ONLINE or thru AGENCIES, i had many interviews coming up. almost immediately i had 3-4 interviews to attend to in a week.
whether u get the job anot, gotta see your qualifications n your performace during your interview lahs.

then buy more board books! bring your baby to the library!
buy educational DVDs, search online, SURE HV.
like i mentioned alr, its ALL ABT YOUR MENTALITY.
if u dunno then LEARN, no one is born to know everything, we learn. dunno then ASK.
SIMPLE AS THAT.
if u r willing to learn, ppl will be willing to teach.
dun u know the internet is a very powerful tool? u can find all kinda info online. just make use of it, its very common sense, like how u came to this forum.

Oppsgal

ha! then im sure you have not start searching for a job yet!
cos when i just started full time, n applied my jobs ONLINE or thru AGENCIES, i had many interviews coming up. almost immediately i had 3-4 interviews to attend to in a week.
whether you get the job anot, gotta see your qualifications n your performace during your interview lahs.

then buy more board books! bring your baby to the library!
buy educational DVDs, search online, SURE have.
like i mentioned already, its ALL about YOUR MENTALITY.
if you dont know then LEARN, no one is born to know everything, we learn. dont know then ASK.
SIMPLE AS THAT.
if you r willing to learn, ppl will be willing to teach.
dont you know the internet is a very powerful tool? you can find all kinda info online. just make use of it, its very common sense, like how you came to this forum.
Ya. I have not start looking for job as hubby says only work after my baby is 2years old. My baby is still too young to go CC.

Got lots of board books but seems like my baby hardly pay attention when I try to show the books, only play the books till now a few pages of those books already fall out. Watch DVD also no use, as span for my baby is only like 5minutes. Hopefully can improve when time for CC.

apollo

Ya. I have not start looking for job as hubby says only work after my baby is 2years old. My baby is still too young to go CC.

Got lots of board books but seems like my baby hardly pay attention when I try to show the books, only play the books till now a few pages of those books already fall out. Watch DVD also no use, as span for my baby is only like 5minutes. Hopefully can improve when time for CC.
ds also not interested in all these. last time he used to be v interested in 'your baby can read' disc. but now, he is not so interested.

frankly speaking, since ds is not v interested, i'll just on for him, he wan to watch, he watch. if he dont want, i wont force him. cos i personally feel that no point forcing them at such young age when they still dun understand 'instructions' yet. =)

pkshl

dear son also not interested in all these. last time he used to be very interested in 'your baby can read' disc. but now, he is not so interested.

frankly speaking, since dear son is not very interested, i'll just on for him, he want to watch, he watch. if he dont want, i wont force him. cos i personally feel that no point forcing them at such young age when they still dont understand 'instructions' yet. =)
i bought the Wink to learn DVDs, in fact i bought the whole set(english& chinese) , everyday i let my boy watch the dvd. sometimes he will watch , sometimes he will not, in fact i find tat his concentration is not long, after awhile he will sian & play with his toys or will 'disturb' my dog -_-

i even bought storybooks for him. my hb said i so kaisu. i told him its beta to get him to like reading from young. but sometimes i was thinking am i being over kaisu...

diymummy

Hi pkshl,

I think you're not Kiasu. I also bought books for my son. Mainly cloth books and board books which teaches him 1-10, animals, expressions... And I use the "Your baby can read" DVD everyday for him.

I've read that the interest in reading starts young.

As for concentration span, try not to put so many toys out for him. I just let him have a few to play with. I will interchange them once a week so that I can clean the toys as well. And for watching his DVD, I'll put him in his bumbo... So he'll sit thru it though he knows how to come out of the bumbo.

I'm sending my baby to school 1x/wk fr next month onwards. She'll be 1 year old.

HAHA... I'm bringing her to work with me. My colleague who's Montessori-trained will be teaching her. Anyone wants to join her??

I agree with Stonston, if caregivers at home can't play w child, read book or speak clearly (erm logically), the child's better off at CC.

At our centre, when we do language assessments, we have different lg norms for children who come from English- or Chinese- speaking homes. This deficit in language ability may persist into primary school for some children.

If you're able to teach & guide yr child, then I think staying at home is definitely more fun :001_302:

PS most gifted kids are often home-schooled during early childhood. Course, mummy or daddy may be a PhD holder.
Hi Ping, can u pm me? i m interested to join.. but i need to know the timing, location and charges. Having a big headache searching for this type of once weekly activities..:tlaugh: