Porridge for baby

maine78

Oh no ! I bought the big one . Around 2cm big . Can I like break it up before adding in the porridge ? Im afraid too big the porridge will be too salty ?
carol, how much portion r u cooking? If just for yr bb, think put 2-3 will do but must remember to wash n soak be4 adding into porriage. For me, i cook portion just for ds. I put 8 with 1 tablespoon of rice together with lean meat n fish. :001_302:

stonston

The BEST book I've ever invested is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron!
i agree e above book is good to start weaning, but i dun agree with e author's method of giving supplements (adding wheatgerm, kelp powder)...cos if u give a balanced diet, there is no need for supps unless ur bb is sick n supps r given by prescription....

n if u realise, i tink all their recipes r vegetarian, they rarely talk abt meat!!

but this website is a v good guide: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solids.htm

a very good local book i would recommend is "firstfoods" got 5 authors....
written by dieticians...
has basic info on nutrition for parents to start on....has loads of PICTURES n recipes :)
best part, ASIAN RECIPES...which means ingredients can be found easily...they use more local veges....
n they have nutrient analysis of e recipes....

recipes r realli idiot-proof n easy to follow (even my maid can read on her own n start making!!!)

rammie

hi bbjaeden

You can get this book at Borders, cost around $27+. I always browse through this book during lunchtime, to peek at the receipes! Hahaa..

tiziana

i usually feed my dd porridge with carrot, potato and fish sometimes will add a bit of vegetables :) potato and carrot i hardly feed my dd. maybe shld add it to her daily meal. i feel my dd porridge once a day and also cereal once a day. when shld i increase the amount of meals she takes?

Last edited:

CynCyn

DH family told him to give DS porride with those small fish type something like ikan bilis size . But is small and white in color . I dunno what's that called , anyone knows ?

CynCyn

Ston ston mama , thks for tt piece of info .
Still got alot more to learn . I'm also afraid of giving wrong food for DS . I rather be safe then sorry too .
So far I haven't tried exploring different types of food . Just the basic fish , meat , spinach , potato and carrot .
Ystday just gave him the small type of fish like ikan bilis bt white in color no bones one .
Are the basic food I give alright to be given to my DS who's 8 mths old ?

Any recommended books for me to look out for .

Btw ,
U mention abt the weaning book . Do u mean weaning of milk totally or partially ?

CynCyn

My ds also dun like puree. Dunno izzit the brand. I bought Gerber puree, applesauce, pear, banana. It's so sour. I will never buy this brand again.. Even myself find it sour, not to mention ds
So far I only bought 2 bottles of puree . 1 is the Gerber and 2nd one is the PUREED brand .
Eversince he didn't like them I stop buying for him . Each bottle he only take like 2-3 spoons then give me those yucky face .

CynCyn

There's one thing I dun get it .
When u cook Puree for yr baby . What do you cook ?
I do not knw hw to make puree . =p

bpquek

i usually feed my dd porridge with carrot, potato and fish sometimes will add a bit of vegetables :) potato and carrot i hardly feed my dd. maybe shld add it to her daily meal. i feel my dd porridge once a day and also cereal once a day. when shld i increase the amount of meals she takes?

Hi
Cannot add carrot every day as it can cause the skin to turn yellow.
My ds is 9 mth plus, my sil is taking care of him, she feed him 1 meal of rice, 1 meal of porridge and milk in interval.

rammie

DH family told him to give DS porride with those small fish type something like ikan bilis size . But is small and white in color . I dunno what's that called , anyone knows ?
I think you are referring to sliver fish, its the most common type and I fed my DS this & threadfin. :wewink:

rammie

So far I only bought 2 bottles of puree . 1 is the Gerber and 2nd one is the PUREED brand .
Eversince he didn't like them I stop buying for him . Each bottle he only take like 2-3 spoons then give me those yucky face .
I give my bb Heinz brand & he loves it. But of cause home made is the best lor. You can get the book, First Foods. I prefer this cause its more suitable for asian. Can get alot of ideas in that book. :001_302:

CynCyn

I give my bb Heinz brand & he loves it. But of cause home made is the best lor. You can get the book, First Foods. I prefer this cause its more suitable for asian. Can get alot of ideas in that book. :001_302:
First food , is by which author . Where did u get yrs frm ?

CynCyn

Thanks Bpquek and Rammie .

Is Silver fish hard to swallow ?
I put it together with rice and slow cook it until bcome porridge .

Then I feed DS he give me those wanna vomite kinda look and his mouth make those wanna vomite .

Feed not until 10 spoon , he don't want liao .

stonston

Ston ston mama , thks for tt piece of info .
Still got alot more to learn . I'm also afraid of giving wrong food for DS . I rather be safe then sorry too .
So far I haven't tried exploring different types of food . Just the basic fish , meat , spinach , potato and carrot .
Ystday just gave him the small type of fish like ikan bilis bt white in color no bones one .
Are the basic food I give alright to be given to my DS who's 8 mths old ?

Any recommended books for me to look out for .

Btw ,
U mention abt the weaning book . Do u mean weaning of milk totally or partially ?
i tink u talking abt silverfish....looks like ikan bilis but is fresh one....v good with alot of calcium...BUT onli intro this after u have safely introduced fish :)

milk is still impt part of bb's diet until they r 1yo...it is best to continue to encourage milk drinking up to adulthood :)
for my 7mth boi, he is taking 2 meals a day, each time is 1 chinese bowl (the ones we use for soup)....then he will have milk in btw, thru out e day...his milk intake now roughly 1L a day....my maid adds milk into his food at meal times instead of using stock to make it less thick....cos she also belief have milk is better :)

There's one thing I dun get it .
When u cook Puree for yr baby . What do you cook ?
I do not knw hw to make puree . =p
i cook alot of things....
sweet potato, potato, pumpkin, spinach, peas, apple, pear, apricots, papaya, asparagus, carrot, tofu, chickpeas, rice, peach, nectarine, avocado, fish....

first u cut into small pcs then steam...then jus place everything (including e water) into a blender n blend....then can serve fresh or freeze...
if freeze, my maid usualli heats up by putting the cube to steam until piping hot, then let it cool to room temperature in covered container....cos must kill any bacteria first, then let it cool to feed my boi :)

for starters, u might wanna sieve it thru a sieve...cos e larger pcs of fibre might not be obvious to e eye but may cause bb to get choked....as they grow older, u can gradually reduce the blending time so they can get used to chunks of food instead of mashy food :)

for my boi i still blend his food, except pumpkin which i chop finely bcos it is soft enuf for him to 'chew' with his gums....
i dun blend his fish, i mash it until v fine flakes so he can feel e texture...
but i blend chicken cos e muscle fibres r too long to mash....

re: carrots
it is high in VIT A....which is fat soluble...
fat soluble vits r processed by our LIVER....so even if u drink alot alot of water, too much fat soluble vits will still be stuck in our body....

for bbs, u need to watch carefully e amt of vit a they take cos it may cause liver failure or juandice (skin turn yellow)....
tt's y supplements r not advised unless prescribed (e dosage has to be carefulli calculated)....

generalli u try not to feed carrots continously for more than 3 days can le...alternate days is good :)

when weaning, best if u can rotate e color of e food they get...example, this wk u intro peas (green), next wk give sweet potato (orange), after tt give potato (white)...something like tt :)

bpquek

Thanks Bpquek and Rammie .

Is Silver fish hard to swallow ?
I put it together with rice and slow cook it until bcome porridge .

Then I feed DS he give me those wanna vomite kinda look and his mouth make those wanna vomite .

Feed not until 10 spoon , he don't want liao .
Silver fish is very soft, I cook till can't even see it.

My ds love to eat porridge, he was very excited when I feed him.